VOGONS

3D Accelerator Video Captures

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a VGA capture card and have been busy capturing videos of various old 3D accelerators. I've been wanting to do something like this, so people can see what some of these old cards produced. Unfortunately the usual apps like FRAPS won't capture proprietary APIs so a capture card was necessary.

[Playlist Link]

Other Member's Recordings

Leileilol
PowerVR PCX2 in Direct3D
PowerVR PCX2 in OpenGL
PowerVR PCX2 in SGL

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-03-10, 23:18. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 3 of 185, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A great way to preserve retro graphics history!

I wonder what performance drop, if any, occurs due to the capturing process? Perhaps this was more of a concern on slower systems, but I see you are using a PIII 1 GHz system. Did you do a frame rate comparison while capturing and not capturing?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 185, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

A great way to preserve retro graphics history!

I wonder what performance drop, if any, occurs due to the capturing process? Perhaps this was more of a concern on slower systems, but I see you are using a PIII 1 GHz system. Did you do a frame rate comparison while capturing and not capturing?

He's using a capture card in a second system, capturing the output from the accelerator's VGA out.

Same way elianda did it here: Videos grabbed from real Retro PCs.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 185, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, I've been looking for some of these! Terminal Velocity looks incredible! Could you capture Destruction Derby on the S3 Virge too? Nice work!

Reply 6 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup there should be no overhead aside from being forced to use a 60Hz refresh rate.

I just wish YouTube would stream about double the bit rate they do. 🤣. I upload video of about 10Mbps so it's about as good as lossless but YouTube really takes it way down.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-03-07, 01:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Is Svideo capture appropriate for this thread? Because that's all I have. I try to keep up the quality by using 720x480 where possible.

Everything is fine for this thread. 😀

BTW, I do have a PowerVR PCX2 to capture. Haven't gotten to it yet. Game suggestions? Mechwarrior 2 is what I keep thinking of...

Reply 10 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
Ok, here's my playlists […]
Show full quote

Ok, here's my playlists

PowerVR PCX2 in Direct3D
PowerVR PCX2 in OpenGL
PowerVR PCX2 in SGL

I had forgotten about your recordings! I didn't realize either how many you had done. Very nice.

Reply 12 of 185, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sweet work swaaye!

Never seen a verite in action, gotta say it looks great although a bit of low performance. Can vQuake work with vis patches (transparent water)? It took awhile to get it working on the Episodes but looks great when applied to my Voodoo3 and hardly any loss of FPS unlike the r_vis setting.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 15 of 185, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What model ViRGE chipset was used for that? The S3 games look quite good, at least compared to the poor reputation that card has. (a bit framey, but with full effects/filtering/perspective correction on and what looks like 640x480 res . . . so a playable framerate with visual quality miles better than the software renderer or Playstation -or Saturn- versions)

Reply 16 of 185, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I had similar results with my Diamond Stealth 3D-2000 , I believe swaaye used a card with the 325 chipset

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website