3D Accelerator Video Captures

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iulianv wrote:

Any Permedias? I don't have mine anymore and I miss the 32bit image quality in Quake II :)...

I have a Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro (Permedia 2). I can make a few videos of that. FRAPS can be used in this case because it would be D3D or OpenGL.

F2bnp wrote:

Excellent videos! We need more old graphics hardware captured on video!
How about some of the early (or late) ATi Rage cards?

I have a ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra card. That's the second generation Rage 128 chip.

kool kitty89 wrote:

What model ViRGE chipset was used for that? The S3 games look quite good, at least compared to the poor reputation that card has. (a bit framey, but with full effects/filtering/perspective correction on and what looks like 640x480 res . . . so a playable framerate with visual quality miles better than the software renderer or Playstation -or Saturn- versions)

Yeah the image quality is very good and the framerate is adequate for the time. The card is a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with 4MB EDO DRAM. I also have a STB Nitro 3D (Virge GX with 4MB EDO) that I plan to try out with these S3D games.

Putas wrote:

Would you recommend Game Broadcaster HD for retro 3d capture?

That is the card I am using. It generally works great for 640x480 and higher.

With all of the cards I've used now, it has had trouble syncing most with the Orchid Righteous 3D (voodoo1) and Voodoo2. Righteous 3D is noisy (you can see it in the captures), but the card won't do any better with it. Righteous 3D looks better on a CRT. Voodoo2 @ 800x600 just won't sync (I tried 2 V2 cards!) Other cards have been fine at 800x600.

Below 640x480 is very troublesome however. The Game Broadcaster HD is meant for 480p and higher. Sometimes it will sync up to lower resolutions, but it is often distorted or offset.

Also, 60Hz is needed for best compatibility.

BTW, I am using Virtualdub with the card. I use the HuffYUV codec for lossless compressed captures with PCM audio. X-Fi is taking the audio input. Then I use x264VFW (CRF 16-18) and LAME MP3 (192 kbps) for the Youtube encode. Final videos are also 1:2 decimated to 30fps.

Reply 22 of 185, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is something wrong with that V1000 card?

Vquake - 21 fps
Vquake 2 - 14fps

My 5x86 120 gets those scores with a Voodoo3 although your system has a higher minimum frame rate.

Reply 24 of 185, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:
Is something wrong with that V1000 card? […]
Show full quote

Vquake - 21 fps
Vquake 2 - 14fps

My 5x86 120 gets those scores with a Voodoo3 although your system has a higher minimum frame rate.

Voodoo 3 is heaps faster than a V1000. Even a Voodoo 1 is about twice as fast!

Reply 26 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:
Is something wrong with that V1000 card? […]
Show full quote

Vquake - 21 fps
Vquake 2 - 14fps

Voodoo 3 is heaps faster than a V1000. Even a Voodoo 1 is about twice as fast!

Voodoo1 is probably 10x faster than V1000 in some cases (particularly with D3D or OpenGL). V1000 has but a fraction of the Voodoo's pixel fillrate and more effects slows it down. The draw to V1000 was that it was cheap, it has a complete 3D feature set, it was also a GUI accelerator/VGA card, plus it uses DMA in addition to having more triangle setup offload than Voodoo1 (helps P90s).

Reply 27 of 185, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That may be true, but the only reason this happens is due to driver and software support. 3Dfx got support from pretty much everywhere, that's why all the games run best on their cards.
I still think 10x is an exaggeration though!

Reply 28 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

That may be true, but the only reason this happens is due to driver and software support. 3Dfx got support from pretty much everywhere, that's why all the games run best on their cards.
I still think 10x is an exaggeration though!

My impression is that the V1000 takes a much bigger hit from using many effects simultaneously than Voodoo1 does.

For example, V1000 is pretty much useless for OpenGL, compared to Voodoo1. Their Speedy3D miniGL is very slow. They had to create vQuake/vHexenII/vQuake2 to even come close to Voodoo, and that's without some effects. The driver readme files mention how the chip is poor for OpenGL.

D3D isn't much better. Just look at the videos of 3DMark99 on V1000 and on Voodoo Graphics that I've made. You'll see V1000 moving 2 fps when the Voodoo1 manages 15fps or more.

It's an interesting chip, but like the other game card companies at the time, they didn't build a multi-chip solution dedicated only to 3D and priced at $200+. 😀 V2000 also set too low of a bar but that's another story.

Reply 32 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alucard wrote:

Why is it, that the left side of lots of videos is some pixel short (cut)? Mostly DOS- but sometimes Windowsgames too. 😕

The capture card syncs differently with each card and sometimes they end up slightly shifted to the right side or right+top. It's not the left side being cropped. Some cards are noisy or soft too. I have not found any way to force it to sync differently. My LCD doesn't sync well to some of these cards either.

On the other hand, this capture card also captures HDMI/DVI so if all old cards had DVI then I imagine it would work perfectly . 😉 VGA was best with CRTs without perfect geometry and perfect pixels.

Reply 33 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've added some Real3D Starfighter AGP 8MB (Intel 740) recordings to the playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL995DE4 … eature=view_all

Interesting card with decent image quality. I'd say it looks better than RIVA 128 but not as good as RIVA TNT/Voodoo3/G200. The texture filtering is a touch noisy and sometimes it has visible bugs in textures. Speed is somewhere in between RIVA 128 and TNT too. I had initially planned to record 800x600 footage, but it's not really fast enough for that in these cases IMO.

3DMark2001 won't run on it, requesting a texturing feature that's not available.

Reply 35 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

That NFS3 video actually makes i740 look playable in spite of it's reputation for suckitude. Is that game pushing the card hard or not at all?

This is only 640x480 and it still had some tangible frame rate drops. This is similar to how a Voodoo1 or RIVA 128 runs the game.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-03-08, 20:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36 of 185, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always thought NFS3 was quite demanding, but it runs quite well on the i740. Impressive!

Also, NFS3 had this weird bug that I doubt ever got fixed. If you've selected the inside view, everything looks just fine. Exterior cameras however fuck up with the wheel movement of the opponents. Their cars just seem to be... sliding!

Reply 37 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Exterior cameras however fuck up with the wheel movement of the opponents. Their cars just seem to be... sliding!

This is one of those old racing games in which the cars seem to be floating over the ground in general anyway. I love NFS3 and 4 regardless. 😀

Reply 38 of 185, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe indeed. I really like the old NFS games too, but the one that has a special place in my heart is NFS2 and NFS2SE (practically the same game with a few enchancements). I remember playing the demo for the original Need For Speed 2. I would even install the demo just to listen to the amazing main menu tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69-J2m_GyhI&feature=related

Shit, it still gives me the chills!
I only played NFS3 and 4 relatively recently, but the have the same charm. The first game always seemed to be clinging towards simulation, so I never was a big fan of that.

Reply 39 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I really liked Rom Di Prisco's work in NFS2 and 3 (less so 4). Dreamy racing tunes. His work in UT3 was excellent too I thought and a solid reason to play the game. 😉

NFS1 is interesting. I have it on 3DO as well as PC. It's still an arcade racer, but it is definitely harder than NFS2 and later. Maybe it seemed realistic at the time. It's an ok game though. On 3DO it plays a bit different than on PC too (it has a lot more video on there too).