VOGONS

Planning a rig with Voodoo graphics

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 119, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually 865 has a Universal 0.8/1.5v AGP slot that supports 1-8x rates. But you can not install a 3.3v AGP card. I mentioned it because somebody brought up Voodoo5, a 3.3v card.

I've been thinking a lot about AGP compatibility lately because of all of the testing I've been doing.

Reply 43 of 119, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There also exists a mod to make the V5 run on 4x boards. remember you are going from 3.3 to 1.5V so in reality you cant hurt the electronics. Also, the chips draw power from the 4 pin socket, not he agp slot, so you should be covered.

take a look at the mod here: http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6626

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 44 of 119, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey I remember that! But that's some risk just to run a Voodoo5 on a faster setup. I'd just settle for some Socket A board with a Tbred/Barton installed.

Reply 45 of 119, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Hey I remember that! But that's some risk just to run a Voodoo5 on a faster setup. I'd just settle for some Socket A board with a Tbred/Barton installed.

Yup that ture and you better off with PCI Voodoo 5 5500 any way as I recall the score where not much better any way base on the benchmark I saw of them mod ones

mwdmeyer are sure I'm pettey sure it work on my old Intel D865 Perl Motherbaord I had min moon ago darn I wish had keep that board but no like dumb a$$ I give to friend who need a better setup for Unreal Tournament Games it had ATI HD 3850 becuase I all ready build up a new system that was about 3 years ago
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4x2GB 8GB
Diamond ATI Radeon HD5850
Next year time for new one or maybe later this year

Reply 46 of 119, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mwdmeyer wrote:

I'm pretty sure the voodoo 4s are just keyed wrong. I don't think any 3dfx card work on 4x slots.

Actually, Voodoo4 does support AGP4x @ 1.5Volts (Voodoo4's from other brands do not support it).

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 47 of 119, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's too bad there's not much point in using Voodoo4, let alone installing one in an Athlon 64 or some such. 3dfx needed to survive about another year so they could have refined this hardware and put out a AGP 4x Voodoo5. Forget that Rampage stuff that sounded like a lost cause anyway. 🤣

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-03-25, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 48 of 119, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

It's too bad there's not much point in using Voodoo4, let alone installing on an Athlon 64 or some such. 😀

V4 makes a good alternative to a TNT Ultra plus you get Glide and a little bit of AA that you don't get with the TNT.

Reply 49 of 119, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes of course. But 2X AA is only doing one axis, and Voodoo3 is not that far behind in speed. Voodoo5 is special because of the 4X AA.

TNT 1/2 cards are rather useless though I think. Might as well use a Geforce.

Reply 50 of 119, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Yes of course. But 2X AA is only doing one axis, and Voodoo3 is not that far behind in speed. Voodoo5 is special because of the 4X AA.

V4 also allows 32 bit color. You don't get that with a V3.

Reply 51 of 119, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

True but most of the old games don't really benefit a lot from 32 bit color. And Voodoo3-5 have a nice 16bit dither filter so might as well enjoy the extra speed. 32 bit on a Voodoo4 has to be about as slow as 32 bit on a TNT2, too. That had a big hit. I didn't really get into 32 bit until Radeon 8500.

Reply 53 of 119, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

How fast is a Voodoo 4 anyway? I never got a definitive answer! Does it beat the Voodoo 3 by a significant margin?

It's a bit faster than a V3 3500, but not by a whole lot. Better image quality is the biggest reason to have one.

Reply 54 of 119, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a bunch of benchmarks from Voodoo 1 to Voodoo 5 on the same system. I'll upload them when I get a chance.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 55 of 119, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

How fast is a Voodoo 4 anyway? I never got a definitive answer! Does it beat the Voodoo 3 by a significant margin?

Keep in mind that thoses back in the day with system around or under 1Ghz mark and like all Voodoo card it dependence of the performance on the CPU the faster it the more Scalability it will be.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/535
http://www.anandtech.com/show/641
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/reviews … odoo4_4500_agp/
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/dis … odoo4-4500.html

Reply 56 of 119, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Not by a significant margin, but V4 should beat both V3 and TNT2. Besides the improvements in image quality (textures larger than 256x256, 32-bit rendering, and so on), V4 has twice as much VRAM as V3, and a key feature that doubles its performance in games like Serious Sam: texture combiners support. It will also run faster than TNT2 in 32-bit if you force FXT1 texture compression. And VSA-100 chip uses a rotated grid supersampling algorithm, that is, 2xFSAA smoothens aliasing in both axes, not just one. Another nice feature is forcing 32-bit rendering in Glide games. I have sometimes used a Voodoo4 PCI as secondary graphics card, and while it can't beat Voodoo2 for that purpose, IMHO it's definitely better than V3.

Reply 57 of 119, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are my benchmarks. I did them a few years ago, I no longer have the P3 system so I cannot do anymore that we can easily compare.

3dmark isn't kind on 3dfx cards 😀

Benchmark%20Screen%20Shot.png

I also have some of a TNT2 vs Voodoo3/4 somewhere.

Basically a Voodoo 3/4 is better, as the TNT2 is far too slow when doing 32bit colour. The 16bit colour on the Voodoo 3 looks much better than the 16bit on the TNT2 (Voodoo is 22bit internally).

Reply 58 of 119, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

TNT 1 is indeed useless but TNT 2 is worth having. The anisotropic filtering added in earlier GF completely ruined the 3D quality of some games. The game that comes to mind as an example is Might and Magic 9. Looks wonderful on TNT2 (also on V5 5500!) and crappy as hell on GF.

Reply 59 of 119, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

The anisotropic filtering added in earlier GF completely ruined the 3D quality of some games. The game that comes to mind as an example is Might and Magic 9. Looks wonderful on TNT2 (also on V5 5500!) and crappy as hell on GF.

Isn't anisotropic optional? I think you have to force it on. You sure something else isn't goin on there?