Rank
l33t++

aafVAgIZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's an SCB-7 , a General Midi daughterboard, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_SC-7

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoa hey can ya thumbnail thatt!? 😁

I have a SCB-55, aka SCD-15, its big brother. But for gaming they are the same AFAIK.

I imagine he has stuck note problems with it on that AWE32. Ive never got mine working properly on any Creative card.

Reply 6 of 21, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I know what it says on it, I was wondering if anyone has/had one.

I have an SCB-7 like that. Together with the MPU-401AT card it is all the Roland branded hardware I have.

The SCB-7 is not used often here, somehow, but it is good to have a real hardware Sound Canvas card available.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an SC-7. SCB-7 is basically the daughterboard version of that external synth. According to this table ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Sound_Canvas#Products ) it is a bit worse than a SC-55. I know for a fact that it lacks the MT-32 sound bank which is present in the SC-55 (no big loss there!), but all in all it sounds pretty much identical (or at least to my ears) to an SC-55 in games.

Reply 10 of 21, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

According to this table ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Sound_Canvas#Products ) it is a bit worse than a SC-55.

It look as though the sc-7/scb-7 meets the GM standard of 128 sound banks, and outputs at 16-bit/44mhz.

The scb-55/sc-55 does GS as well so has over 300 voices [depending on the model] and outputs at 16-bit/44mhz or 18-bit/32mhz depending on the model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_MIDI_standards

If games just use GM presumably we won't hear any difference unless you can discern 16-bit/18-bit differences.

If games use GS, the SCB-7/SC-7 will sound "wrong".

From my recollection, there were differences in the game recordings of sc/scb-7 vs sc/scb-55 on some of the comparisons websites [I forget which - maybe swaaye's, dosforum.de, wavetable.nl] which meant the sc/scb-7 didn't sound as full somehow. But when I used the scb-7 myself [I don't have an sc/scb-55] it sounded fine. Conceivably I was listening to GS games on the web but only tried GM games myself I suppose.

Did many/any games use GS rather than GM though?

Reply 11 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know what you mean about the sound sounding full though. There is some slight difference, but I find it quite subtle, so in all honesty I think it sounds pretty much like a SC-55. It never occured to me that it wasn't GS compatible though... That may explain a couple of things... 😜

Reply 12 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@ratfink: I believe the 18bit "sound rendering" the db does gets lost once it is connected to a sb...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a RAP-10 and an SC-55mkII. I believe the RAP-10 has the same GM sample set as the SC-7.

I think some of the samples of the SC-55mkII are different to the SC-7 as I do notice some subtle differences in the sound between the two devices. As far as I'm aware there weren't any games that use GS mode.
Rise of the Triad has a Sound Canvas option in the setup, as opposed to General MIDI, but it doesn't sound any different to me on the SC55mkII.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 14 of 21, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have both Roland cards, the scd-10 (scb-7) and the scb-55. Also have the MT-32 and SC-155. I have 6 more daughterboards but to me the best is Roland.

Reply 16 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually much prefer the yamaha XG synth's sample set over the Roland ones for nearly all games. I have an XR385 and a Yamaha MU10XG and they both sound the same to me.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 17 of 21, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The yamaha DB50XG is very good too. But there are some games where Roland is a bit better. Oddly i find the S-W1/C daughterboard very balanced and i like the sounds of it. But these are my opinions.

Reply 18 of 21, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:

The yamaha DB50XG is very good too. But there are some games where Roland is a bit better. Oddly i find the S-W1/C daughterboard very balanced and i like the sounds of it. But these are my opinions.

Just one problem with all that we can't have our cake and eat it to hehehe

Reply 19 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shspvr wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:

Just one problem with all that we can't have our cake and eat it to hehehe

Unless you want to have 6 sound cards in one system.