VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I have finally come around to replace my aging AT psu on my p1 machine with an ATX one (mobo has support for both).
I began testing some of the first era ATX psus that have the -5v line (since I have installed a LAPC-I) and I see that 4 out of 5 that I own actually deliver -4.50v on said line (measured on the pins of the ATX plug directly) , the one that delivers -5.02v has the "noisy transformer syndrome" (you can hear a faint bbbzzzzttt when the psu has power connected regardless if the machine is turned on or off).

Anyone knows if -4.5v is sufficient (0.5A) ? obviously I don't want to damage or reduce the life span of the LAPC-I....

thanks for any info! 😊

Last edited by keropi on 2012-04-07, 11:33. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know... -10% is a serious percentage IMHO 😜

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 15, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ATX voltage tolerances:

+3.3V, +5V, +12V: 5%
-5V, -12V: 10%

Couldn't find anything on XT/AT, which is probably more relevant when it comes to LAPC-I...

Reply 4 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks 5u3 , basically I should re-phrase my question to: is -4.5v fine for a LAPC-I ? 🤣

also I took a look in the LAPC-I manual, it states that the card needs:
+5v / 550mA
-5v / 50mA

Reply 5 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually I was of the opinion that "'WATT''s less, can't kill but may not work either" and "'WATT''s more, may work but also can kill"... 🤣

What I meant to say is that I'm more daring when it comes to testing electronics with less power, but I may be wrong. h-a-l-9000 may clarify this up.

But of course, testing the LAPC-I is a big exception - it's too rare to even try anything on it.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 15, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
ATX voltage tolerances: […]
Show full quote

ATX voltage tolerances:

+3.3V, +5V, +12V: 5%
-5V, -12V: 10%

Couldn't find anything on XT/AT, which is probably more relevant when it comes to LAPC-I...

According to IBM, the +5V and +12V can vary by 5%, and the -5V and -12V can vary by 10% in PC/XT/AT power supplies. I think its more important that you can provide 500mA than an exact voltage.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see, thanks for the replies guys 😀
I have triple-checked and tested a 1999 250W ATX psu for now that delivers -5.02v and seems it's quality built with japanese caps and everything... all the newer ones are -4.5 with the exception of a 2002 model that delivers -4.82 (have put it aside for now)
I might be getting paranoid here but I am not prepared for a lapc-i search 🤣

ultimately I might take the advice I was given in vintage-computers forum, to reconstruct my own -5v line from a +12v line , I might grab a quality psu (a corsair or something similar) and do this mod to have some peace of mind...

Reply 8 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe it's because currently nothing is using the -5 line?

Do you have a SB 2.0 or PAS16? Both use -5V.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah the -5v line has been optional in the ATX standard for almost 7-8 years now....
I have a LAPC-I Mau1wurf1977 , that's why I am searching this matter so much... if I didn't have it then I'd just use a random good atx psu and get over it 😁

Reply 10 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry I didn't explain myself well.

What I was trying to say is you know when you put load on a power supply the voltage drops? So maybe that's what will happen with the -5V. It might be higher because it has no load at the moment...

So if you have SB 2.0 or PAS16 give it a go with one of these cards inside.

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am measuring the voltage with no ISA cards installed at all Mau1wurf1977 , infact I don't even have a vga installed on the test mobo, it just powers on and beeps I guess (no speaker connected 🤣) , also doing the same test with a PSU tester, I get the same results. So I am pretty sure that if more cards would drop the voltage then the -4.5v psus will be terrible.

Reply 12 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But you see the voltage is negative. So dropping it will move it towards -5V.

With no cards installed the PSU has almost no load and voltages will be high across the board. What are you getting for the 12V and 5V lines?

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure that under load it will drop towards -5 ?
+12/+5v lines are normal on all psus

Reply 14 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure but worth testing if you have any cheap cards that use -5V. You never know 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm..I've been using the LAPC-I in a few systems for a few years now, mostly with those using modern ATX PSUs, ranging from 300 - 500W with -5v rail , with the ATX to AT converter cable+switch for use with AT motherboards, and sometimes directly with an ATX motherboard. So far so good and not noticed any problems. The only instance that I need to change is when using with faster CPUs, I had to change the 8-bit I/O recovery time value in BIOS to make it sound right, on certain motherboards.

I never actually checked if the PSU is giving out exactly or around -5v.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers