VOGONS

Identifying a rebranded Aztech

Topic actions

First post, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Came across a sample of Aztech legacy sporting a real OPL chip.
No defective Aztech wavetable connector, no Crystal chip. Unfortunately, there are reasons why I doubt I identify this card correctly.

dsc01966s1.jpg

BIG size, no ads:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9593/dsc01966y.jpg

The device obviously had some sticker removed from the main chip, it had some glue left, but I wiped it off.
Otherwise it seems to be a decent jumperless Aztech with their trademark Parallel Port emulation.

Stason.org has its exact picture, but I doubt the model name they list is quite right.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … NXII-EXTRA.html

It's great, but no "16 bit" indication in the model name. and the card is obviouly 16 bit... And what's really not nice, driver sites don't seem to know a model with such a name either. No driver.

Or I would have just tried it 😀

There is a very similar model listed as 'Reveal' brand, the very possible reason fot the glue on the main chip.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … -SC300-PRO.html

But the picture here is ~not~ exactly matching and the drivers for this SC-300 don't seem to be readily available (many links are just 'too old too cold'.)

The "Soundcards ISA" list mentions the chipset of this card (AZTSSPT0592-U01) but it's listed as Sound Galaxy SCSI.
Though here we have Panasonic and Mitsumi proprietary interfaces.

I plugged it into a 5SVA Pentium pnp board, bit it was not configured by Plug and Play (unlike my favourite Terratec ESS).

So what shall be done to it? ^ ^
It might have some merit.

Reply 1 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't have enough jumpers to be a non PnP card. You could try a live Linux CD like knoppix or Puppy Linux and see if it detects the card?

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2012-04-10, 02:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 26, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well it should not be a non PnP, the only jumpers present here are identified by these two stason.org links, should be the Parallel port emulation, 'EEPROM enabled' feature (should we try it? ^^) and the pointless CDROM IRQ selection.

Unfortunately, what I currently have running is only DOS6.22 and the WinXP main computer.

It surely would be easy just to load some adequate drivers, for this particular Aztech chipset.

P.S. Thanks for the reply! just thinking I might have some sleep now.. it's 6 o'clock here @__@

Reply 3 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's likely not PNP but uses the eeprom to store IRQ/DMA/IO settings so it's mostly jumper free.

Win98 might detect it with its add hardware wizard...

It could be "16bit" like a SBpro (8bit card with 16bit electricals). I think it is some kind of Sound Galaxy NX.

Reply 4 of 26, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

It's likely not PNP but uses the eeprom to store IRQ/DMA/IO settings so it's mostly jumper free.

I like the term "jumperless"

It means there are "less jumpers". 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 26, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Win98 might detect it with its add hardware wizard...

It could be "16bit" like a SBpro (8bit card with 16bit electricals). I think it is some kind of Sound Galaxy NX.

Thanks for the reply. Indeed calling these cards "PnP" technically can be a mistake, and I feel I really have to enable this EEPROM jumper! 😀

Also I've already fished for some "Sound Galaxy NX II" drivers, the closest to stason.org identification.
It's a very solid idea that it's really a 8-bit sound card, despite the full ISA slot... now in the morning it's clear to me. 😀

If it's not killed by mishandling or other damage I will try to revive it.
5 sound standards all set without jumpers, including the genuine Adlib music can be a good addition to one's vintage sound box, I expect.

Reply 6 of 26, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

if you remove that white strip with the bar code
then you ought to find the Aztech model id
underneath it.

the nx2 is the I38-MMSD801 according to this
document:
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/SUPPORT/DOWNLOAD/sg/index.txt

i quite like the OPL2 chip which suggests this card
is a clone of an early sound blaster.

cya!

Reply 8 of 26, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sklawz wrote:
hi […]
Show full quote

hi

if you remove that white strip with the bar code
then you ought to find the Aztech model id
underneath it.

the nx2 is the I38-MMSD801 according to this
document:
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/SUPPORT/DOWNLOAD/sg/index.txt

i quite like the OPL2 chip which suggests this card
is a clone of an early sound blaster.

cya!

Hi ^ ^ that was a good idea, to remove the sticker. The previous owner only removed the sticker from the main chip, to get a not so helpful chipset number (AZTSSPT0592-U01, not quite typical at all.) Unfortunately, this card was more devious in its conspiracy.
The barcode was hiding a secret "made in Singapore" info 😄

Your note was the key anyway. This list is horribly incomplete but the genuine Aztech ftp seems to hint what models could really need separate drivers.
So it doestn't have a separate driver for NXII-Extra (this card) but it has a standard "NXII" and it works.

the "Extra" features, judging by Stason.org drawings, are limited to extra CD types support and higher IRQ values (hence the 16bit ISA design for the "Extra" model.)

The chipset AZTSSPT0592-U01 is normal ^ ^
The Aztech document is simply uninformed or hiding the values due to some old marketing mysteries.
Here one can see more, quite realistic chipset variations:
http://www.yjfy.com/A/Aztech/sound/Aztech.htm

a great list, it is.
Both NXII and NXII Extra could have this chipset it seems.

Finally, it writes "T2" into the BLASTER variable and is a clone of Sound Blaster 2. And yes, it works 😄
Twisted drivers though.

Last edited by Mithloraite on 2012-04-11, 02:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 26, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shspvr wrote:

Look like it a Sound Galaxy NXII Extra

Yes it is ^ ^ Stason.org (or the other sites hosting this legacy device database) was perfectly right. There is just no separate driver for this model because the standard NXII driver works well with "NXII Extra".

As for the "Extra" additional CD types and IRQ support, all that is handled by another setup program.

So in the end, it is just that, NXII Extra. Alive and running 😀

Reply 10 of 26, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi!

Mithloraite wrote:

Hi ^ ^ that was a good idea, to remove the sticker. The previous owner only removed the sticker from the main chip, to get a not so helpful chipset number (AZTSSPT0592-U01, not quite typical at all.) Unfortunately, this card was more devious in its conspiracy.

🤣. It was a hunch that that sticker was hiding that
top secret information, shame it wasn't the product ID
after all 😀

now you have one Aztech sb clone working perhaps you
will demand another? there are certainly quite a large
number of Aztech card variations to choose from.

good luck, bye

Reply 11 of 26, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

sure thing, it was a good idea, many Aztech cards that I've seen photos of had the parts number exactly here, close to the ISA connectors. This one was different though 😀
Wonder why they were concealing Singapore *_* Old marketing mysteries.

Well I might! Will have to verify how is its sound quality. The amplified speaker out has some noises when I plug phones... And I've heard the 'NX Pro' model has a real ~excellent~ sound quality better than ct Vibra.
Also the NX Pro has stereo sound, it's an SB Pro clone. So looking for one has meaning 😄 (this one I took just to try, the price being $1)

I'll probably load the NX family (3 card types) drivers to the VOGONS driver section. The ftp you have pointed to has the ~full~ versions of the drivers, not the truncated ones made by fans trying to fit it into the ancient storage and brandwidth limitations.
This driver was interesting, it has a full GUI, in DOS. And it doesn't change the configs before the user inserts the second disk... Also it accepts the disk data only from floppies, running from HDD or CD didn't work. Also the added software might be usable, say, to play midi files under DOS. Or some other very-retro activity.

P.S. one last mystery, why do these Aztech cards have dark blue and red paint small stains over the upper edge. (mine had it, the same here:)
http://xpdrivers.es/photos/A/z/t/Aztech-Labs- … Extra-1-pic.jpg

I tried to clear off this red stuff but it doesn't go completely (still seen on my photo). Should it be ascribed to a sacrifice or suicide over these cards... *_* Will have to be careful around these...

Reply 12 of 26, by marquisor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

got the very same board here. now what is it exactly? and where did you get the drivers?
any luck with NXPRO / NXPRO16 drivers?
maybe it IS a NXPRO / NXPRO16? so it's not a SB2.0 clone, but a SBPRO, SB16 clone, last one with REAL OPL chip, so better than most SB16.

Reply 14 of 26, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marquisor wrote:

got the very same board here. now what is it exactly? and where did you get the drivers?

if you really have an SG NX, try identify it by the FCC-ID as indicated from the link sklawz gave above:

NXII Sound Galaxy NXII Card Updates - FCC-ID:I38-MMSD801

NXPRO Sound Galaxy NXPro Card Updates - FCC-ID:I38-MMSD802

NXPRO16 Sound Galaxy NXPro16 Card Updates - FCC-ID:I38-MMSN803

as for drivers, you can browse for them here
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/SUPPORT/DOWNLOAD/sg/

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 15 of 26, by marquisor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i don't have any FCC-ID on this board, like the op

Mithloraite wrote:

that's all.

Reply 16 of 26, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, I see.

I have just checked my SG NX Pro, and indeed the FCC-ID isn't printed on the board like on some Aztech SG NX series cards that I have seen, but on a sticker on the back side of the PCB.

Anyway on my card it reads FCC-ID:I38-SGNXPRO instead. It looks like the one from this page:
http://www.amoretro.de/2012/11/aztech-sound-g … -pro-extra.html
but without the VLSI controller chip. So I think you can safely "uncheck" the SG NX Pro/Extra possibility 😀

Also, from this thread A gallery of strange sound devices you can see the NX Pro 16 layout:
soundgalaxynxpro16.jpg
The image isn't really sharp, but it does look like a "3" at the end of the FCC-ID, so this is the most legitimate proof I've seen. Maybe give Silent Loon a PM if you want to confirm.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 17 of 26, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And... I've just found this page:

http://www.tjeerd.net/2009/05/28/vintage-hard … nd-galaxy-nxii/

Check the pics. Looks mighty similar to OP's card (this thread). Except that maybe that only has one CDROM interface? But everything else looks identical.

Reply 18 of 26, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
marquisor wrote:

maybe it IS a NXPRO / NXPRO16? so it's not a SB2.0 clone, but a SBPRO, SB16 clone, last one with REAL OPL chip, so better than most SB16.

oh no, it was just a Sound Galaxy NX-II

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … LAXY-NX-II.html

it lacks 'SB Pro' in its supported modes, pity.

It does have the real Yamaha OPL but also it has lots of pops and clicks. Or that was just a bad sample.

I might dig up the drivers if needed, should have saved these somewhere...

"PRO" series cards (like this bigger one, on the picture mentioned already) do seem to be more promising 😀

Reply 19 of 26, by marquisor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah, thx for feedback, Mithloraite. and for help to archsan!
drivers would be nice to have, so i could check this thingie out... maybe it doesn't pop and click 😉