VOGONS

First post, by silverslc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here’s the story. In 1992, (20 years ago) I was about 15. I can remember my Mom taking me to a local computer show/swap meet to get my 386dx 40. It was a dark rainy Sunday with a Holiday Monday off from school. The perfect ambiance for fun exploration of my new found passion.

The feeling of a 15 year old in 1992 as his very own PC is carted to the car was perhaps one of the most rewarding moments of my life. After that we stopped at the Mall where I saved the money to buy my first PC game. Nova Logics Comanche Maximum Overkill. Once home, recalling all the hours I spent at my best friend’s house along with his Dad on their PC, I knew exactly what to do. That evening I played Wolfenstien 3D and Overkill until the sun came up. Laying in my bed hearing the humm of the Power supply always relaxed me to sleep.

Well after 15 years I decided to get EXATCLY what I had! I mean EXACTLY. Every component, software and peripheral. So about 4 years ago I began making a list. My memory fortunately, is vivid of all of the big and small things I had during that wonderful time in my life.

The first of course is the PC itself. Finding the PC case I had was harder than I thought. I had old pictures to reference from which helped out tremendously, thanks MOM! Wow it seemed like this particular case vanished from the earth. It took nearly a year when an automated eBay search came up with something. Once I saw the photo I gasped! That was it! Not only was the case correct, inside was a 386DX40. Buy it now for 25 bucks! I said to myself this was too good to be true, well there was a catch. It was listed for parts only, nonworking. Well I really wanted the case anyway I could always find a motherboard. So I bought it. The case was remarkably clean but that wasn’t good enough. I took it apart and really gave it a scrub down. Now it looks almost new.

So began my first step into what would be a fun yet painstakingly, meticulous hunt for my memories.
I would literally have to write a book, which I’ve almost did, to describe the things I went through to source the exact components from 1992. From the 14” SVGA Edison Monitor to the Labtec CS-150 Multimedia speakers. One would think much of this stuff is common, man I was wrong!

I did end up making some changes on the way. First the 386 mobo that was previously in the case was indeed toasted. So I decided to start where I left off some 20 years ago. I wanted a 486 DX66 sooo badly back then but never had the money to upgrade... well until now.
So now she is a smooth running 486 DX-66 with 8mb Ram 120mb HD (soon to be 420mb) with a 6x Teac CD-Rom drive. That CD drive is a placeholder for the Drive I used to have which I finally sourced and should be showing up on Friday. A Plextor 4plex SCSI Drive. That will be the cherry that will finally complete this long challenging road.

Current Specs
486 DX 66
Seagate 120MB Hard Drive (TEMP)
8MB Ram
Soundblaster 16 CT1770 SCSI
ATI Mach 32 1MB VLB Video
Mitsumi Mouse and Keyboard
RealMagic MPEG Card – I actually bought this for $200 back in 1993. Only way to play Dragons Lair like Laser Disk which was my favorite game back then. Plus I bought Phillips CD-I movies I watched as well.
Teac 6X IDE CD-Rom (TEMP)

My_Vintage_PC.JPG

Running DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1
Software shown in the picture
Comanche Maximum OverKill – My first PC game ever purchased.
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective – My first CD-ROM game ever purchased.
The Animals and Dinosaur Adventure bundled with my first CD-ROM drive.
All the others all played a huge role in PC gaming.

And finally that big Box to the far left where the CH flightstick is sitting on, that is a FULL sealed version of AutoCAD Release 12. I spent hours with this back in 1992. My friend’s dad was an engineer and gave me a copy. Which back in 1994 sold for $2500 bucks, I only paid 70 😉 Very fond memories!

Here are some Magazines I used to always have my nose in. If any of you are from San Diego area, tell me you remember the FREE weekly Computer Edge magazine you would pick up at the Gas station or grociery store! Good Times!

Vintage_mags.JPG

Ive accomplished what I set out to do and it feels great. Playing on this rig pulls me back to a time of adventure and exploration. My daughter has already taken interst in Daddy's old antique and she will know the fun memories I had.

So there you have it. If you made it this far you’re as crazy as I am.
Thanks for taking a trip to the past and would love to hear your stories as to what you where able to source from your childhood.

-Nick

Last edited by silverslc on 2012-04-11, 06:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome story !!!! glad you could source all identical parts, that's so fortunate!!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 24, by aacheron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice.

Very close story here! But I've found most of my old components at parents home (and they are in great working order!).

*** building better worlds ***

Reply 4 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd be interested in reading more / your book 😀

Plextor CD drives... Best of the best back in those days. It comes with a caddy right?

My findest CD memories revolve around that Mitsumi single speed drive (the whole drive was on a sled). It started the whole CD revolution for me.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 24, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's the thing with the lights underneath the monitor?

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 6 of 24, by aacheron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My findest CD memories revolve around that Mitsumi single speed drive (the whole drive was on a sled). It started the whole CD revolution for me.

I've this CD reader :

http://www.ultradrives.com/product_info.php/m … products_id/399

My first CD reader...
But unfortunately it's broken (reads TOC but it doesn't read far than this, I mean, it's unable to copy or open files on a CD).

It is part of a Media Vision Multimedia Kit[/quote]

*** building better worlds ***

Reply 7 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool!

I got the Mitsumi as an upgrade kit and it came with an ISA card which had Audio ports at the back. There was a driver disc and a I remember this DOS utility that allowed to listen to Audio CDs 😀

It was the fastest track changer (move from track to track) I have ever seen 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:

It's basically a power bar with separate, labelled switches for each component (monitor, printer, etc).

Reply 9 of 24, by silverslc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks keropi, Mau1wurf1977, aacheron and everyone elses replies! Im glad to hear others with similar backgrounds. It really is becoming a lost niche in computer history. Technology has moved so fast its hard to enjoy what each circa had to offer.

I'd be interested in reading more / your book

🤣 no book but the thought has crossed my mind.

Plextor CD drives... Best of the best back in those days. It comes with a caddy right?

That it does! I believe there were two versions of the 4PLex. The one I had was PX-43CH. Theres another with the part number PX-43CE, I think the "E" is for enhanced. Both are badged 4Plex but I dont know what was enhanced about the latter drive?

Ahhh yess the infamous Mitsumi single. Thats what my friends Dad had on his. Didnt that actualy say :single speed or 1x inscribed on the front face? I know the double speed did.

Yes as correctly mentioned by Jorpho its a surge protector. Everyone that I knew seem to have this. Funny story about that is I purchased it days before I actualy got the Computer. I was eagerly anticipating the day the computer Show/sale. So it sat on my desk in my room waiting for something to power up. BTW that was another hard one to source.

My first CD reader... But unfortunately it's broken (reads TOC but it doesn't read far than this, I mean, it's unable to copy o […]
Show full quote

My first CD reader...
But unfortunately it's broken (reads TOC but it doesn't read far than this, I mean, it's unable to copy or open files on a CD).

It is part of a Media Vision Multimedia Kit

Now that is a cool CDROM drive. Now I did get the Media Vision CD ROM kit (Also my first CDROM drive) but I had the SONY 1x Drive. I didnt have it very long since I soon got my Plextor. There were many versions of the Media Vision Kit widely known as "Fusion CD". I also had the Pro Audio Spectrum 16 SCSI which came bundled with the kit. I moved to Soundblaster 16 when I got my Plextor, which thinking back I dont know why?

Found these ads.
Media_Vision_Fusion_double.jpg
FusionCD_ad.jpg

Reply 11 of 24, by silverslc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For such a long story I don't see the part that explains why you no lost it.

The term "lost" was not to be taken literal. For many things from our past are "lost" in time.

To be honest I can’t really remember where my original PC ended up. When you’re young you typically don’t stop to perceive the future. Back then it was a computer that served a purpose, its purposed was filled and soon was considered obsolete. Time moved forward and I began searching for something that was "lost" in time.

-Nick
[/quote]

Reply 12 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd begin my quest, but I never could find a matching working AT case to what I used to use. Vintage turbo AT designs are hard to look for.

If I modeled a case in 3D, would there be an attempt to identify it?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 24, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Enjoyed reading your post. Great job at collecting parts to get it back to the "original" shape.
Now, this is what you need:

1. Friday evening, after work, 6pm.
2. Wife (if any) off to girlfriend's house, book club 😉
3. Child (if any) at grandma's and grandpa's house for the weekend.
4. Peace and quiet.
5. Case of beer.

Reply 15 of 24, by silverslc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd begin my quest, but I never could find a matching working AT case to what I used to use. Vintage turbo AT designs are hard to look for.

If I modeled a case in 3D, would there be an attempt to identify it?

Try and check year specific PC magazines, like Computer Shopper. Ive seen just about every case known to man in these magazines. At least from there you can narrow your search maybe even get some names or disrtibutor info.

Enjoyed reading your post. Great job at collecting parts to get it back to the "original" shape. Now, this is what you need: […]
Show full quote

Enjoyed reading your post. Great job at collecting parts to get it back to the "original" shape.
Now, this is what you need:

1. Friday evening, after work, 6pm.
2. Wife (if any) off to girlfriend's house, book club
3. Child (if any) at grandma's and grandpa's house for the weekend.
4. Peace and quiet.
5. Case of beer.

Already ahead of you 🤣. Wife and daughter are out a town this week. This thread wouldnt even exist if otherwise. I mean look at the photo I took. An old computer displayed out on the dinning table... 🤣 woulndt happen. Peace and quiet I have and Im enjoying every minute! Jan3, You are my twin!

Reply 17 of 24, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Epic retro system. looks exactly like it came from a time capsule that was buried in the 90s. 🤣 And epic MPEG card. I dreamed of one in the 90s. Well I'm also a Dragons lair fan and wanted to have one of these Amiga-500 Laserdisc kits soooo badly. Never got one, prolly never will. But as a kid i always imagined how epic it would be to play a REAL laserdisc game at home.