VOGONS

First post, by digitaldrifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just scored two machines off of ebay. They should be coming this week.

The first is close to my first computer. It's a Tandy 2500 SX/20. (My old one was an SX/33.) It looks like it has 5 megs of RAM, along with an 85mb hard drive, CDROM, and a network card. The pics were a bit blurry, so I hope the exterior is ok. I don't have a ton of use for it, more for a nostalgia piece, but I'm sure I'll try to get some old school stuff running on it, like SWOTL or the like.

The second one is an IBM Valuepoint 433 SX/D. It is bare-bones; no expansion cards, no CDROM, only a 245MB hard drive (but comes with an extra 527mb), and 4mb of ram. It has ISA slots and one VESA slot available, and the onboard video is on the VLB. I think I'll get a few extras for it off of ebay. I already got my NEW Evergreen 133 in the mail last week, so that'll be the first thing going into it. I think I'll order some RAM for it, and maybe a VESA IDE controller for some extra speed. I'm a bit worried about the BIOS not being able to support large HD's though, since I may throw in the 2gb drive that's currently in my P166 system.

Neither of these have sound cards, unfortunately. I do have an SB32 lying around, but I don't think it's even been plugged in to anything since 1998 and I've been pretty rough with it over the years. Hopefully it still works. I'm not sure on what to put into the Tandy since most of the cheapo sound cards on ebay seem to be PnP, and I don't know how they'll work in a non-PnP machine.

Anyways, I'll update this as I get them in and upgraded. These will compliment my other two retro systems nicely!

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digitaldrifter wrote:

I already got my NEW Evergreen 133 in the mail last week, so that'll be the first thing going into it.

I'm pretty sure the Evergreen is explicitly known to be incompatible with certain models of Valuepoint. I do not recall the explicit details, though.

It seems to me that introducing relatively exotic parts like a Valuepoint and an Evergreen increases the likelihood that you're going to run into obscure, frustrating compatibility problems.

digitaldrifter wrote:

These will compliment my other two retro systems nicely!

How many do you need, exactly..?

Reply 2 of 11, by digitaldrifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm pretty sure the Evergreen is explicitly known to be incompatible with certain models of Valuepoint.

Hmmm, I wasn't aware of that. A cursory Google shows that several people have ran the Evergreen with no issues. I got the chip pretty cheap, though, so if there is a problem I can just hock it on E-Bay and get a genuine Intel Overdrive.

How many do you need, exactly..?

6.37653!

Seriously, as an addict, can you ever have too many?

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digitaldrifter wrote:

A cursory Google shows that several people have ran the Evergreen with no issues.

The problem would be with the Valuepoint, specifically. I recall reading about it in Evergreen's official documentation, which might be on archive.org somewhere at this point.

digitaldrifter wrote:

Seriously, as an addict, can you ever have too many?

If you don't have sufficient storage space for them or if you ever have to move them, then yes, you can very easily have too many.

Reply 4 of 11, by digitaldrifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, so much for the Tandy. I got it in the mail today, plugged it in and turned it on. It emitted a terrible squealing noise from the modem, and I heard a few faint popping noises too. No video. I quickly shut it off, but started smelling something burning. I decided to give it a few more tries, though. I opened the case up, took out the expansion cards, and tried it again. Same thing, faint popping noises and no video, so I turned it off. So I decided to disconnect everything but the floppy, and tried it one last time. Same thing, faint pops, but this time I noticed some smoke rising from one of the socketed chips. Thing is toast. Hopefully the e-bay seller will be accommodating.

Reply 5 of 11, by digitaldrifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, what a disaster. The Tandy is fried, and the IBM 486 I got in the mail was damaged. The plastic rod on the power supply switch snapped off, but I was able to push the switch in (to be on) and have been using a power strip to turn it on and off. Luckily it looks like a standard AT power supply, so I'll just have to find a replacement switch or power supply.

Of course, that's not all wrong. I bought some ram for the IBM from ebay, but it looks like it doesn't like it. I got some generic 70ns 8mb parity simms (they were 60ns when I got them in) but still my computer doesn't work with them. The seller said they'd refund my money, though, and I don't have to send them back. Looks like I'll have to source some genuine IBM ram. Also, I bought one of those new Kouwell KW-560D VLB IDE controllers from ebay as well, and THAT doesn't seem to work in my system. When I have it in with the buses enabled, it just seems to do a soft reset just before it gets to the point where it's supposed to boot up. Even when I disable all of the buses on the board stuff doesn't act right. Of course, the IBM bios leaves much to be desired, and it won't let me disable the onboard IDE controller, even after flashing to the newest bios. I'm think it's either an IRQ or address space conflict, but I don't know for sure. Gotta love trying to get all of this crap working together!

What DID work in the IBM was the Evergreen 586. Even with only 4mb of ram, Windows 3.1 FLIES!

Reply 6 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Man that sucks, I can feel for you. All the best.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 11, by digitaldrifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that's how it goes with old hardware. The guy with the Tandy refunded my money less shipping. Not ideal, but stuff happens. Really, the IBM runs really well for what it is. I don't know if I'll be able to run a HD off of the VLB, but I think with a few extra parts I can have an excellent retro system.

Reply 8 of 11, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sucks 🙁 I have an extra AT power switch that came with a case I have. If you want it I can send it your way, so PM me if you'd like it.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 9 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digitaldrifter wrote:

Luckily it looks like a standard AT power supply

Heh. Don't count on it. Even if the connector and voltages are the same, for IBM I would think it entirely likely that they've rearranged the screw holes or otherwise cut the hole in the rear of the case to make it difficult to insert a generic replacement supply.

But replacing the case switch, at least, should be straightforward.

Reply 10 of 11, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps you can make the IBM computer recognize the RAM by soldering together the last four detection pins in the same order as on the proprietary SIMMs. There should be four solder pads at the edge of the SIMM that represent the four pins. At least I could make my own proprietary RAM for my HP printer that way.

Reply 11 of 11, by digitaldrifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went ahead and got legit IBM ram for it. I made sure the FRU numbers matched, and now I'm running 24mb just fine. It was a little expensive for the simms though (about $10 a simm).