VOGONS

SD-RAM PC-150, RARE?

Topic actions

First post, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in the process of building a P3 Tualatin 1.4ghz and are comtemplating what type/size of memory to use, I scavenged an old box and found a 256meg Kingmax PC-150 module, a quick search on ebay gave 0 search results, did this type of memory come out when DDR was starting out or something? I assumed this stuff would be easy to find.

AND

Is it worth tracking down PC-150 modules to overclock compared to cheapy PC-133 ram sticks? Would the Tualatin chip overclock higher with PC-150 or not much difference? My mainboard supports 1mhz increments from 133-166mhz fsb.

Reply 2 of 24, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

Would the Tualatin chip overclock higher with PC-150 or not much difference?

Not much difference. I've got an sl6by on an 815e motherboard at 152mhz for a flat 1.6ghz and 2 x 256mb hynix ram modules at 152 cl2-3-3-7-9. Most motherboards allow you to run the ram asynchronously as well so if you could theoretically do 166mhz, the rams would run at 133mhz. But you'd run into pci/ agp bus problems long before that.

Reply 3 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My P3 1400 is good for about 1600 as well.

I think you'd need phase change cooling to go much higher. I saw some crazy >2GHz results in a few-year-old Xtremesystems thread. 😁 Sometimes those guys like to "go retro" too.

Reply 4 of 24, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

My P3 1400 is good for about 1600 as well.

I think you'd need phase change cooling to go much higher. I saw some crazy >2GHz results in a few-year-old Xtremesystems thread. 😁 Sometimes those guys like to "go retro" too.

Sometimes the Tulatin Celerons are a bit more flexible with overclocks than PIIIs since you stay in a lower FSB range (so you don't deal with overclocking the chipset -or not by as much). 1.2/100 to 1.6/133 seems to be among the most common, though 1.3/100 to 1733/133 seems to work a fair amount of the time too (without crazy cooling set-ups). Much beyond 1700 seems to be really tough though. (apparently rather like the Mendocino at 600 or Coppermine at 1000)

Reply 5 of 24, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The kingmax PC-150 is somewhat rare but there is 2 versions. Rev A cannot run at tight timings of 2-2-2 even at 133MHz, While Rev B could.

Whats more rare is Tonicom PC-166MHz modules.

All things said your better off with some Low CAS Crucial or Mushkin PC133 than the Kingmax.

Another note if using a ASUS i815ep (TUSCL-2) is that if you overclock beyond 150MHz there is something about how the AGP runs at a lower rate and memory overvolts a bit IIRC.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a custom BIOS for TUSL2 (and CUSL2) at x86secret.com that eliminates the downtuning when overclocking. I use this on my TUSL2-C.
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/tweak/i815twken.htm

Reply 7 of 24, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About to purchase some brand new 3X512m PC-133 cas 2.5 modules to give 1.5gb ram, I think this should be plenty enough to squeeze some extra grunt, only thing to consider is running windows 98SE, apparently its gets unstable with this much ram? Im also going to run an ATI X800 PRO, That should be enough to run Windows XP okay although the main purpose of this system is to be a beast Dos/WIN98SE machine on a VIA 694T chipset.

Reply 8 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1GB is the maximum you can get a 9x OS to use. You must install with 1GB or less. The setup program and OS will likely crash if you don't have the maxphyspage tweak in system.ini and you have >1GB.

Frankly for a 98/ME setup I would say just use 512MB. Even that is luxurious and I am suspicious that more than that may cause even more instability than normal with these OSs. They have memory architecture throwbacks that get in the way of benefits with lots of RAM anyway.

For 98 and Me:
----
If a Windows ME system has more than 512MB of RAM, then to work around a bug in the vcache management, per Q253912, you must add the following to the [vcache] section of C:\Windows\SYSTEM.INI file:
[vcache]
MaxFileCache=524288

If more than 1024MB (1GB) RAM, then a second entry in SYSTEM.INI is required in the [386Enh] section per Q304943 to limit Windows ME to using just 1GB of physical RAM:
[386Enh]
MaxPhysPage=40000
-----

Reply 9 of 24, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
The kingmax PC-150 is somewhat rare but there is 2 versions. Rev A cannot run at tight timings of 2-2-2 even at 133MHz, While Re […]
Show full quote

The kingmax PC-150 is somewhat rare but there is 2 versions. Rev A cannot run at tight timings of 2-2-2 even at 133MHz, While Rev B could.

All things said your better off with some Low CAS Crucial or Mushkin PC133 than the Kingmax.

Another note if using a ASUS i815ep (TUSCL-2) is that if you overclock beyond 150MHz there is something about how the AGP runs at a lower rate and memory overvolts a bit IIRC.

This is true for lower speed grade modules as well, if not even more extreme in some cases. I have some PC-100 rated DIMMs that have SDRAM chips rated for 6 ns cycle times (ie up to 166 MHz), and some other "PC-100" sticks with 8 and 7.5 ns chips on them. (125 and 133 MHz rated)
I also checked the technical datasheets for those chips to confirm those ratings.

Reply 10 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

There's a custom BIOS for TUSL2 (and CUSL2) at x86secret.com that eliminates the downtuning when overclocking. I use this on my TUSL2-C.
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/tweak/i815twken.htm

Your post here is quite timely. I just ran into this AGP 4X-to-2X issue when running some overclock tests on a VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2 Ghz. Unfortunately, those tweaked BIOSes haven't been updated in quite awhile and ASUS came out with updated BIOSes after the latest tweaked BIOSes.

As a side note, the ASUS TUSL2 and TUSL2-C seem to run quite nicely with a VIA C3 Nehemiah. I have the system setup to tri-boot 98SE, W2K, and XP. For general web browsing, adobe flash video playback, and general video playback, I cannot detect any speed difference between the C3 1.2 GHz and a Tualatin-512KB 1.4GHz chip. However, I'm sure the benchmarks will pick up a difference.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 24, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
The kingmax PC-150 is somewhat rare but there is 2 versions. Rev A cannot run at tight timings of 2-2-2 even at 133MHz, While Re […]
Show full quote

yeah you are right, kingmax pc150 are simply crap, i've seen some failed to run cl2 at 133mhz.
tonicom are good but really rare... have heard of it but neven seen irl.
my prefered sdram are infineon dt7/ct7 and winbond bh7. micron 7e, samsung tc7c and hynix tk would do too. last but not least, remember to use only 16mb chips(which makes 256mb for a double sided dimm)

Reply 12 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
yeah you are right, kingmax pc150 are simply crap, i've seen some failed to run cl2 at 133mhz. tonicom are good but really rare. […]
Show full quote
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
Show full quote

yeah you are right, kingmax pc150 are simply crap, i've seen some failed to run cl2 at 133mhz.
my prefered sdram are infineon dt7/ct7 and winbond bh7. micron 7e, samsung tc7c and hynix tk would do too. last but not least, remember to use only 16mb chips(which makes 256mb for a double sided dimm)

OCZ and Mushkin were the best for overclocking RAM in those days.

Reply 13 of 24, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
noshutdown wrote:
yeah you are right, kingmax pc150 are simply crap, i've seen some failed to run cl2 at 133mhz. tonicom are good but really rare. […]
Show full quote
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
Show full quote

havn't seen any of their sdram... what sdram chip do they use?

Reply 14 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
sliderider wrote:
noshutdown wrote:

havn't seen any of their sdram... what sdram chip do they use?

I'm thinking they used Hynix chips.

Reply 15 of 24, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:

my prefered sdram are infineon dt7 [...]

I have a pair of these, they are capable of 170 MHz / CL2-2-2-5-2 without trouble.

In my experience, modules manufactured by the chip producers themselves are of higher quality than 3rd party modules.
Also, PC-133 is the fastest standard specified by JEDEC, so ratings like PC-150 or PC-166 are basically made up by the manufacturers.

Reply 16 of 24, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can also underscore the a decent performance of Infineon. But my infineon chips (3x256) can only do 145Mhz on low latencies. 150+ is possible, but latencies had to be loosened up a bit.

Keep in mind that i815 can only take up to 512mb. If you need more then 512mb, go for athlon XP (VIA KT133a) instead.

Reply 17 of 24, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

I can also underscore the a decent performance of Infineon. But my infineon chips (3x256) can only do 145Mhz on low latencies. 150+ is possible, but latencies had to be loosened up a bit.

Keep in mind that i815 can only take up to 512mb. If you need more then 512mb, go for athlon XP (VIA KT133a) instead.

infineon chips have different models, with dt7 being the best, ct7 second, and ct7.5 just like common pc133 sdrams.

Reply 18 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for necroing this thread, but a stick of Corsair XMS150 256MB happened to come in my possession. PC150 info is scarce, is this stick worth anything? It certainly is the first time I've heard of SDRAM that is over 133MHz 😜

Reply 19 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Sorry for necroing this thread, but a stick of Corsair XMS150 256MB happened to come in my possession. PC150 info is scarce, is this stick worth anything? It certainly is the first time I've heard of SDRAM that is over 133MHz 😜

I don't know if it would be worth much or not. But PC150 isn't a real JEDEC standard. I'd just ignore the PC150 label, and look at the speed rating of the chips themselves.
Chips marked as 7ns, rated for PC133 CL2, are also rated for 143MHz at CL3. It wouldn't take much overclocking for Corsair to advertise them as being good for PC150 CL3.
If the chips are actually faster than standard PC133 CL2 chips, then it would be an interesting module to play with.