VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello

I have a TurboChip that I have on my way i the mail. I'm planning to use this chip in my vintage compaq computer. While doing some research I found out that the K6-400 processor might not work on my motherboard. If that is the case I was hoping to switch the k6 out with an Intel 233 MMX to atleast get a small upgrade out of it.

Though by reading further I find out that the heatsink is glued onto the CPU. This is not the biggest problem, and will probably be solved. What worries me more is if the CPU itself is either glued, soldered or stuck onto the adapter.

I have seen pictures of the Kingston TurboChip without the CPU, but that was from another revision. My TurboChip also looks exactly like a revision of the PowerLeap PROMMX (which I havent been able to aquire) which do have the possibility to remove the CPU, though Powerleap also marketed the adapter seperately and it was designed to be CPU swapped.

So my question is: Can I remove the CPU from my TurboChip?

My TurboChip (Just 400 mhz instead of the 233 on the pictures), but everything else is the same regarding the adapter.

Front:
tubo2331.th.jpg

Back:
2337.th.jpg

Kingston TurboChip of older revision without CPU.
927e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PowerLeap PL-PRO/MMX v6.0 (same kind of adapter PCB as mine) without CPU.
Front:
cpusockel.th.jpg
Back:
cpusockel2.th.jpg