Voodoo 2 SLI on AMD K6-2+ Dos / Win9x Gaming

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 64, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
While it is true that V2SLI is limited on a K6 platform, I do not agree that Quake2 isn't screaming along. These benchmarks are […]
Show full quote

While it is true that V2SLI is limited on a K6 platform, I do not agree that Quake2 isn't screaming along. These benchmarks are from my 66mhz FSB K6 system. A proper SS7 board will get even better results:

GLQuake (demo1):
AMD K6-2 400mhz - 1024x768 SLI - 40.8 fps
AMD K6-3 400mhz - 1024x768 SLI - 57.6 fps

Quake 2 (demo1):
AMD K6-2 400mhz - 1024x768 SLI - 57.4 FPS /w 3DNow driver
AMD K6-3 400mhz - 1024x768 SLI - 67.8 FPS /w 3DNow driver

Yeah the K6 has enough grunt to get the job done with Quake 2. If you want to play Quake 3 or UT, then even a K6-3+ at 600 MHz is inadequate. The Voodoo2 SLI setup has no problem with those games but the K6 chokes badly.

Reply 61 of 64, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

If you want to play Quake 3 or UT, then even a K6-3+ at 600 MHz is inadequate. The Voodoo2 SLI setup has no problem with those games but the K6 chokes badly.

Completely agree with you here Swaaye. I play those two games (and other Q3 and Unreal engine based games) on my Tualatin system. While average framerate is okeish, it drops too much if alot is going on at the same time. That means you die in those kind of games 😜

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 62 of 64, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seeing as I have nothing better to do and I own a K6-3+ 400 clocked at 550, I might try Quake 3 and UT on it. I don't have a V2 SLI setup though at the moment, is it okay if I use my Voodoo 3 3000?

Reply 63 of 64, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Yes but that introduces at least a minimum of input lag unless you use triple buffering

I think people who obsess over things like this have WAY too much time on their hands. I know 2 guys who play League of Legends and they both manage to be great players even through the framerate on theur PCs usually hovers around 20 and often falls to as low as 10. They even do videos for youtube and during video captures they play with 10-15 fps yet they still manage to mostly win matches. And they still enjoy the game very much.

Reply 64 of 64, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1so wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Yes but that introduces at least a minimum of input lag unless you use triple buffering

I think people who obsess over things like this have WAY too much time on their hands. I know 2 guys who play League of Legends and they both manage to be great players even through the framerate on theur PCs usually hovers around 20 and often falls to as low as 10. They even do videos for youtube and during video captures they play with 10-15 fps yet they still manage to mostly win matches. And they still enjoy the game very much.

it is not an obsession, it is just more of an incommodity when having to aim a target and you can't do so very well due to the extra latency induced by vsync. Of course it is not as important as when playing online games such as Quakelive.

In my humble opinion, I'd rather limit the fps by using the own game's engine cvar (com_maxfps in case of Quake3 engine based games) than do so via driver. No tearing nor latency.

By the way, I understand that being good doesn't always depend on external factors, but I don't believe that by forcedly capping an engine at 60 frames, or by playing at 15 fps you would do very well on a fast paced FPS game

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png