VOGONS

First post, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

running at 245/400 clocks using an Athlon 2800MP at 2.3, 3 gigs of ddr 333 ram, and a DFI AD75 mb with KT333. AGP 4x, fastwrites and sideband adressing was enabled and the AGP aperture size was of 4mb (so no texture loading via system ram at the 32mb texture test)

I also used win2k sp4 with the detonator 5.30 beta driverset.

See it for yourself 😁

http://i.imgur.com/kgB7u.png

Greetings

EDIT: I couldn't save the pic as png cause of fricken paint so I didn't insert it into the post 🙁 😁

Reply 4 of 47, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Geforce2 does not support sideband addressing.

The texture bench parts of 3dmark99 does not contribute to the score.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

uhh, I didn't know that, I think it affected it in some or other way.. but I dunno if 3dmark will give you both cpu and 3dmark scores if you don't run the texture load test

I reffered to it myself as well-hated because many of the users here are 3dfx fans and well, this card was what caused the demise of 3dfx 🙁

Reply 6 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

also, doesn't support it? I made a report with rivatuner and it displays this:

$ffffffffff ----------------------------------------------------------------
$ffffffffff Northbridge information
$0400000000 Description : VIA KT266/333 series
$0400000001 Vendor ID : 1106 (VIA)
$0400000002 Device ID : 3099
$0400000003 AGP bus : revision 2.0
$0400000004 AGP status : enabled
$0400000005 AGP rate : 1x 2x 4x supported, 4x selected
$0400000006 AGP SBA : supported, enabled
$0400000007 AGP FW : supported, enabled
$ffffffffff Display adapter information
$0000000000 Description : NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
$0000000001 Vendor ID : 10de (NVIDIA)
$0000000002 Device ID : 0150
$0000000003 Location : bus 1, device 0, function 0
$0000000004 Bus type : AGP revision 2.0
$0000000005 AGP status : enabled
$0000000006 AGP rate : 1x 2x 4x supported, 4x selected
$0000000007 AGP SBA : supported, enabled
$0000000008 AGP FW : supported, enabled

Greetings

Reply 8 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hah well, they killed themselves too 🤣

Also, if some of you guys are curious of how did I enable fastwrites, I used rivatuner and checked Sideband adressing- Force ON instead of determined by VGA BIOS

and yes, this is not just a cosmetic fix, it gave me a few more points on 3dmark99 but you can't do it if you have a via apollo 133 based board.. anyway not too much of a difference 😜

Reply 9 of 47, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If some sku killed 3dfx then it was GeForce 2 MX. People might demean balance and certain features of GeForce 2 but it was still the best thing for quite some time.

Reply 10 of 47, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

also, doesn't support it? I made a report with rivatuner and it displays this:

Well, I read a bit into this and it seems that nvidia disables SBA by default in the graphics cards BIOS, specifically because it is known that SBA causes problems in combination with VIA chipsets.
So the Forceware driver reports that SBA is not supported.

But as you wrote it seems that SBA can be forced on with Rivatuner f.e. (I will try this myself later)

I have not found information about the bare hardware support of the chip itself for SBA. Someone has a table maybe?

Regardless of this, most of the sites state that enabling SBA shows only a insignificant performance increase but is often the reason for stability problems. So the general recommendation is to leave it disabled.

Some general notes about the Geforce2. Remarkable was that the performance increased considerably while the power consumption dropped in comparison to the Geforce256. Also TnL really helped to gain a performance step on low CPU systems.
Geforce2MX was/is the most successful series from Nvidia, though it is a different chip with DVC/TwinView.

btw: I think that Wikipedia says that GF2GTS / Pro / Ultra is Twinview capable is wrong, it is a GF2MX only feature.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yep! that's it. It's not that NV15 didn't support it but the fact it was very unstable with the VIA chipset mainboards of the era, so elsa and many other manufacturers decided to disable it at a BIOS level in order to stop more and more questions/complaints from users/reviewers

And well, I think that NV15 in general was what if not destroyed 3dfx, punched them in the face 😜

BTW I love this forum guys!, I finally found a place where you can have a normal discussion without attracting a wave of trolls seeking for a thread on which they can try to make their opinions be a fact. 🤣

Reply 12 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

uhh, I didn't know that, I think it affected it in some or other way.. but I dunno if 3dmark will give you both cpu and 3dmark scores if you don't run the texture load test

I reffered to it myself as well-hated because many of the users here are 3dfx fans and well, this card was what caused the demise of 3dfx 🙁

The biggest things that caused the demise of 3dfx were how they were constantly diverting resources away from their next generation product and their acquisition of STB. OEM's didn't want to buy from them anymore because the quality of the product from STB was not up to their standards and other video card makers weren't making 3dfx cards like they used to, either. 3dfx was pretty much the sole supplier of cards utilizing their chips after the STB acquisition. What the other video chipset makers were doing had almost nothing to do with 3dfx going down.

Reply 13 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

The biggest things that caused the demise of 3dfx were how they were constantly diverting resources away from their next generation product and their acquisition of STB. OEM's didn't want to buy from them anymore because the quality of the product from STB was not up to their standards and other video card makers weren't making 3dfx cards like they used to, either. 3dfx was pretty much the sole supplier of cards utilizing their chips after the STB acquisition. What the other video chipset makers were doing had almost nothing to do with 3dfx going down.

+1

Reply 14 of 47, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

OEM's didn't want to buy from them anymore because the quality of the product from STB was not up to their standards...

Voodoo3 are immortal. I am not sure about Velocities but STB quality should not be an issue at all.

Reply 16 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:
sliderider wrote:

OEM's didn't want to buy from them anymore because the quality of the product from STB was not up to their standards...

Voodoo3 are immortal. I am not sure about Velocities but STB quality should not be an issue at all.

From the Voodoo3 section in Wiki's 3dfx entry

"Prior to the STB merger finalizing, some of 3dfx's OEMs warned the company that any product from Juarez will not be deemed fit to ship with their systems, however 3dfx management believed these problems could be addressed over time. Those customers generally moved to Nvidia solutions and no longer chose to ship 3dfx products."

So by buying STB, 3dfx basically gave most of their OEM business to nVidia on a silver platter, while at the same time alienating their chipset customers who didn't want to compete with 3dfx because 3dfx would always have a pricing advantage over them since they were the one who made the chips.

Reply 17 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

3dfx pretty much brought it to themselves 😜

Yeah all of that aggressive marketing got to them like blast processing did to SEGA. Don't forget about their 1999 TV spots, those were costly as well. There's a reason why video chipset companies rarely do those. Last time I saw one was ATI Radeon 9700 TV ads in 2002 on TechTV, but 3dfx ads reached more cable stations such as anything Turner owned. 😜

Putas wrote:

Voodoo3 are immortal..

except for the 3500TV variant

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 47, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What was wrong with the 3500TV? It was a bit weird, but it should have been pretty quick. Expensive?

EDIT: My collection: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.ph … 92&postcount=79