VOGONS

Reply 21 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote:

What was wrong with the 3500TV? It was a bit weird, but it should have been pretty quick. Expensive?

EDIT: My collection: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.ph … 92&postcount=79

The dongle requirement, mostly. Loose cards are easy enough to find for not a lot of money but when you combine that with the cost of the dongle then it's not really worth it purely from a performance perspective. The 3500 is a bit faster than a 3000 but not so much faster to justify the price difference. You can get a V3 3000 AGP and a ATi Rage TV Tuner PCI card for less.

Reply 22 of 47, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agreed... 3DFX really got screwed on my angles!!

The STB purchase...the SEGA Dreamcast fallout.....the executives running it into the ground.....the building technology sideways....

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 23 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A challenger appears!!!

http://imgur.com/IL0Hv

2x amd 2800+ @ 2400 cas 2 133fsb (150oc) voodoo 5 @ stock speeds. winXP. I'm almost certain I have a GF2 in my box-o'-video cards. this is a fun challenge!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I'm calling shenanigans on your scores. @ 200/166 this thing only scores a 6176. and MINE has 64mb of ram. And your going to tell me that going to 245/200 the speed is going to miraculously jump from 6k to 18k?

http://imgur.com/LzGPj

Reply 25 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, I have an Asus 7100/64 which is a GF2-mx400 with 64mb ram. It scores exactly 5900 which makes sense considering its using SDR and not DDR.

Reply 26 of 47, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

A challenger appears!!!

2x amd 2800+ @ 2400 cas 2 133fsb (150oc) voodoo 5 @ stock speeds. winXP. I'm almost certain I have a GF2 in my box-o'-video cards. this is a fun challenge!

are you using a 760mpx server m/b with 66mhz pci-x and a pci v5 on this one?

Reply 27 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sepultribe wrote:
luckybob wrote:

A challenger appears!!!

Yes it is a Msi master L. It has the 66/64 pci slots and an universal agp slot. Up to 4x anyway.

Reply 28 of 47, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:
sepultribe wrote:
luckybob wrote:

A challenger appears!!!

Yes it is a Msi master L. It has the 66/64 pci slots and an universal agp slot. Up to 4x anyway.

ah nice, are you aware of any benchmarks that show the difference between a v5 agp2x and v5 pci@66mhz in high resolutions and fsaa enabled? or maybe have you tested yourself on a regular pci slot vs the pci-x slot? thanks in advance

Reply 29 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice!, I also have a chaintech 7kdd with 760mpx and usb 2.0 with 2gigs of non ecc ram. However, I think I prefer my kt333 system cause of stability xD and also, its AGP port doesn't seet to work but I don't know if you need to use a 6pin aux in order to make it work (!)

Reply 30 of 47, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what the ForceWare driver reports for FastWrites and SBA, chipset is a VIA KT400A:

ftp://78.46.141.148/pictures/quadro2pro.png

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 31 of 47, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mwdmeyer wrote:

What was wrong with the 3500TV? It was a bit weird, but it should have been pretty quick. Expensive?

EDIT: My collection: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.ph … 92&postcount=79

I got one my self and do like its performance but hate the breakout cable, I do not like how restricting it is when it comes to choice of coolers that can fit. Ended up with a expensive thermaltake copper chipset cooler but thank God that I got that very cheap. Has two heatpipes 😉

Again the only thing I hate about it is the breakout cable but the other thing that I would be very happy without is the TV tuner.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 32 of 47, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

This is what the ForceWare driver reports for FastWrites and SBA, chipset is a VIA KT400A:

I can enable everything on SiS 735, but it is no likely to compensate for KT400 speed.

Reply 33 of 47, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Agreed... 3DFX really got screwed on my angles!!

The STB purchase...the SEGA Dreamcast fallout.....the executives running it into the ground.....the building technology sideways....

3dfx rested on their laurels, overconfident in the developer lock-in power of their proprietary Glide API. They also released cards that were just scaled-up versions of previous products.

At the same time, multiple competitors sprung up (especially nVidia) and drove Direct3D and OpenGL development until it was on par with Glide, forcing developers to abandon the latter in order to ship games that a wider base of customers could run. 3dfx had over-optimized their cards for Glide, so their weaker D3D/OGL performance then hurt them as well.

Ironically nVidia is now making a lot of the same mistakes that allowed them to beat 3dfx in the first place. Focusing on marketing over hardware innovation and trying to push their proprietary PhysX API around are two of the big ones.

Reply 34 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dfx was simply mis-managed right into the ground. They had zero vision, screwed themselves over by buying STB and going exclusive, and were totally schooled by NVIDIA in particular.

But I don't think NVIDIA is anything like 3dfx. I find NVIDIA pretty impressive. They dominate OpenGL and the CAD GPU market. They created and define GPU compute and it's starting to pay off. They are fairly successful with Tegra and very aggressive there.

If a GPU company is languishing and mediocre, I'd probably look at AMD. What was that RAGE fuck up all about? The game didn't work right for months. Bulldozer is a joke. They have almost no GPGPU presence. Who would buy FirePro cards? Etc.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-06-07, 20:08. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 35 of 47, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GPU computing is not the future of games, though, but rather an attempt to widen the market for their hardware.

Using proprietary APIs to gain advantage over competitors always annoys me greatly, because it's a cheap attempt to lock software developers into your platform. It also never works out in the long term if there is real market interest, since competitors will likely spring up and rally around an open standard.

I do have to admit that AMD appears to be suffering a lot more than nVidia from management issues these days, though.

Reply 36 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

Using proprietary APIs to gain advantage over competitors always annoys me greatly, because it's a cheap attempt to lock software developers into your platform.

It's a complex problem. One cause has been that NVIDIA was the only company taking GPGPU seriously until recently. They had the best tools and they are willing to help.

AMD just bullshitted about it and did almost nothing. Also, in reality their hardware was not well designed for GPGPU. Their brand new GCN architecture is much more well rounded for it.

Also, from what I gather, it has been a major bitch to write this GPGPU code, and what runs well on NVIDIA doesn't on AMD. So unless NVIDIA would come in and do it for the developers, the developers didn't really care about it. But now there are emerging programming langauges like C++ AMP and new APIs like DirectCompute and OpenCL (which is similar to CUDA). Standardization will make this stuff more accessible and useful.

Anyway, personally I've found GPU physics to be ridiculous in practice and unworthy of the performance hit to say the least. 😀 Get back to me when it's more than fluff in the air, gaudy particle explosions, little weird balls of water/smoke, etc.

Reply 37 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes it's true, nvidia cards seem to run opencl much better than amd cards, at least with what I've experienced with my last two upgrades, my gtx680 tri sli gives 60000+ particles/s vs 40000 particles/s from my previous 6990 cfx in SmallptGPU, A small raytracing oCL accelerated program.

Reply 38 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well guys here's another one with the same system, but this time running Win98 and using a real Quadro2 Pro (with a ultra bios) and 4xFSAA enabled:

jjo05.png

Even beats a voodoo2 SLI (that by the way doesn't do any kind of fsaa 🤣 )