VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave up on my flakey 98 box that had failed at various things [some incompatibility with a rendition verite, then glide disabled sound despite no reported conflicts] and set it up today to test a workstation card I got hold of a few years ago, a 3dlabs Wildcat vp990pro. This has xp/2k drivers [none for 98 or anything after xp] and 512mb of memory - think it was maybe the first card with so much. Previously I tried it in some asrock 775 board but whenever 2k had finished loading, the system would crash if I was using this card. I eventually found out it's not compatible with some 2k service packs - I forget which, I think it's ok up to sp2.

So, I have it in this: ms6167, athlon700,128mb ram, santa cruz soundcard.

2k installs ok [no service packs], the vp990 driver however will not run, claiming insufficient resources. Looking at device manager, it seems that one of the memory ranges the card needs overlaps with the ranges that the AMD 751 cpu to agp device has reserved. All the settings that might be used to adjust resources are greyed out for all these devices.

Is this problem likely to be solved by adding more ram, or is it just a fundamental incompatibility?

Reply 2 of 6, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I tried it with 384mb ram, made absolutely no difference; uninstalled and reinstalled the card, likewise - ie. exactly the same memory resource addresses in conflict. I guess that makes it a board incompatibility. I daresay a socket A might do the trick but I've no appetite right now for swapping motherboards - switched to an old 3dfx card instead, which no doubt is more appropriate to the motherboard and seems to work fine.

Reply 3 of 6, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok I switched the board for an 845 p4 one and bingo, vp990 works for the first since I had it. It performs around mx440 level in 3dmark2001se I think - I get these scores, 3dmark2001se defaults, and using the card drivers d3d games default settings [though they give very similar scores to the directx default and the Diablo 2 optimised settings]:

cpu at 2.8ghz cpu at 2.0ghz
no AA 7857 7346
2x AA 3764 3729
4x AA 1784 1778

Reply 6 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My ASUS K7M is only stable with a Voodoo AGP card. I usually put in the Voodoo5. Everything else I tried was either obviously unstable or would freeze after a time. It's like Super 7 boards.