VOGONS

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a curious question here. I saw an earlier thread were numerous people were not liking AGP on VIa Chipsets

I used to play Unreal 2 on a 1000 MHz pentium 3 and Radeon 9200 - on an Apollo pro 133 board. And it was dog slow - to the point of being almost unplayable at times. Supposedly, according to the utility, the video card was set for 4X.

I later moved the same video card to an Athlon XP system - 2400+, and it plays like a dream. Now I understand that processor probably has more than twice the power, but I always felt like it should have played better on the original system than it did.

Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 4, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unreal 2 was a pretty demanding game but still, it should have run better on the P3 indeed. Your dogslow framerate is brought to you by VIA Technologies 😁.
They are quite bad, unless you install the correct Service Packs and generally play around. Even if you do find the optimal settings, they're still slower than Intel's chipsets.

Reply 3 of 4, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i guess the largest defect of via chipsets is poor memory performance, just compare your superpi times to those on 440bx/815 mainboards(which has nothing to do with agp performance of course).

Reply 4 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both the P3 and the Radeon 9200 would bottleneck Unreal 2 pretty significantly. As a minimum you really want an Athlon XP or Northwood P4 and a Radeon 9700 or Geforce 5900.

I originally played Unreal 2 on a similar machine. It was a Duron 1000 with a Radeon 8500 on a KT266A motherboard. Most strange was the robot world section which exposed some major problem with KT266A and Radeon 8500 - framerate was literally about 0.5 fps and the sound was stuttering too. Some KT266A/333 boards received BIOS updates that specifically tried to address 8500 problems.