VOGONS

First post, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a PS2 mouse I purchased hoping to use it with my 386/586 systems using a ps2>serial adapter, I could'nt find definitive information as to whether it was a combo mouse t but I decided to give it a try because it was cheap.

I find this website which has a photo of the same mouse stating it being a combo mouse

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Belkin_Classic_ … 201-BLK/p/85026

Also using a bit of common sense I figured

1. Its a ball mouse, so its old
2. Its 3 button and looks old fashioned, probably mid 90's, around the time 486 computers were still sold new.

mouse1.jpg
mouse2.jpg

Notice the switch? Options are "PC/MS", does this indicate serial/ps2 operation? Do combo mice have switchs or is it handled automatically.

At this stage the next logical step would be to buy a genuine belkin serial/ps2 adapter as im using the cheapest, nastiest adapter, ebay had to offer. Perhaps Belkin wired their devices differently to Microsoft/Logitech combo mice or whatever my cheap device is meant to be compatible with?

BTW, I already have 2 serial mice, a crappy beige 2 button job and a decent bluey green microsoft home mouse, I want a black mouse to match the rest of my setup as everything is black.

The other option is buy a black serial mouse, I missed out on another 2 button, black, serial belkin mouse because the seller wanted $120USD shipping.

I see a few microsoft intellimouses that claim to be combo mice on ebay, would the bottom label indicate whether its a genuine combo mouse?

Here is a 1.1 version, bottom label does'nt say anything to indicate combo mouse features
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Microsoft-IntelliM … #ht_2174wt_1270

or this 1.3a black dell mouse, again nothing to suggest a combo mouse
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Microsoft-Wir … #ht_2822wt_1037

Has anyone had experience with a combo mouse? Are they some rare/mysterious device becuase it looks that way.

edit: The mouse does work properly when used in a ps2 port.

Reply 1 of 4, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I can't really tell if that mouse can be used with an adapter for a serial interface. I believe if there's support for that operation it should be done automatically. I'd say that the switch is used for selecting between Microsoft mode and what is more commonly known as "mouse systems" mode. (MS supports 2 mouse buttons while the other mode 3)

Reply 2 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There must be a few different versions of that Belkin mouse... I have one marked 'F8E201' that's even a completely different shape. Some of them may be PS/2-serial combos, but the one I have is PS/2-USB combo.

The old Intellimouse ball mice were available in serial versions, and I think the PS/2 ones are serial compatible, but I'm not positive on that. I think I might have one around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and check it for you. EDIT: Nevermind, I found the one I was thinking of, and it was just a regular old MS serial mouse without a scroll wheel.

Combo mice weren't rare, by any means. I'd say the majority of mice made up to about 1998 or so were serial compatible... the trouble is, support for serial pretty much faded away silently, and mice often went through multiple hardware revisions while still looking the same externally. Back then, it wasn't really a problem, you could just read the box and see if a given mouse was serial compatible, but on the used market you don't usually have the original packaging available.

Reply 3 of 4, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there is a switch like the one in the second picture above, usually it is reserved to select a "PC or MS" mode MS-mode is a two button Microsoft mouse mode, and PC is usually reserved for 3-button serial mouse. Sometimes, the MS is labelled for "Mouse Systems" mode - which is the 3-button mouse mode. On that case, the counterpart will be appropriately labelled PS/2.

But, a 2-button Microsoft mouse mode is not guaranteed to work with a PS/2 adapter unless it is built-up as a combo mouse.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In theory, it might be possible to test if a PS/2 mouse has "combo mouse" capabilities by looking for signals on pins 2 and 6 of the connector, which are normally unused.
http://www.oocities.org/vbmcomputers/pinout/p … erial_mouse.htm

But in practice, trying to rig up something that would enable you to make such a test is probably so much trouble that it would be easier to pay two bucks for the adapter and be done with it.