VOGONS

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone managed to run any voodoo card with a 486 cpu?

Reply 3 of 10, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure, I have'nt tested with an actual 486 chip but it also ran fine with a Pentium Overdrive 83

Im sure you already know this but the cyrix and pod struggle to run anything accelerated as it is, do you just want a 3d accelerator or an all in one like a banshee/Voodoo3?

Reply 5 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

Anyone managed to run any voodoo card with a 486 cpu?

I've managed a 3dfx Voodoo2 12MB in a M919 w/ AM5x86-133 in the past. There IS a benefit when using it with GLQuake and Activision's 3d games (MW2, I76, BZ), since their software rendering is kinda hopeless on a 486

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I too have run Voodoo 1 and 3 on a 486 board (SiS 496). What CPU you use doesn't matter. What matters is whether the chipset's PCI implementation gets along with the Voodoo.

Voodoo3 requires using older drivers unless you run a Pentium Overdrive. Apparently they required Pentium instructions in later drivers. I don't remember which driver set works.

But you won't find very many 3D aaccelerated games that will run adequately on any Socket 3 CPU. The Pentium OD is fastest for 3D games, especially if you can get it to run at 100 MHz (40x2.5), but it's really a troublesome CPU overall.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-05-25, 17:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 10, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

But you won't find very many 3D aaccelerated games that will run adequately on any Socket 3 CPU. The Pentium OD is fastest for 3D games, especially if you can get it to run at 100 MHz (40x2.5), but it's really a troublesome CPU overall.

Wouldn't early S3D games (particularly on a stock-clocked 2 MB Virge 325) be relatively well-suited to such a low-power CPU in the sense that the graphics card would be closer to being the bottleneck, at least with visual quality settings and/or resolutions set high. You'd need to set resolution/detail really low for faster CPUs to be the limiting factor, and obviously, you'd eventually hit a point where the card was the only bottleneck. (which, granted, eventually happens to all accelerators)

Or a similar case with a Rage I (or maybe Rage II), or Direct3D games running on the Virge or Rage for that matter.

Actually, it would be interesting to figure out what the best-matched system would be for 3D gaming on a Virge or early Rage, albeit with some variables depending on the specific games compared, detail settings, and drivers used.
It may very well be that a fast socket 3 system would be among the most realistic candidates for those types of cards, as far as 3D game performance goes, especially at default/common detail settings. (albeit, those weren't always the ideal settings for those cards' specific performance envelopes)
Of course, there's also the problematic (or nonexistent) Direct3D and OpenGL driver issues with several of those cards, apart from actual performance limitations.