VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the purpose is to find how much impact the mainboards have on performance.
the bench should cover most chipsets: intel, umc, ali, via, sis, opti, winbond, and probably others, and see how their performance vary when using same cpu, ram and video configurations.
i suggest to use intel dx4-100wb on all boards, which shall be enough to see some difference between boards, while not having compatibility issues that amd5x86 and cyrix5x86 do.

Reply 2 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doing a review / roundup might be better for this. With mainboards a lot of differences are settings in the BIOS and with most 486 machines there are a TON of Bios settings.

I'd be surprised if you find significant performance differences between boards unless some boards have missing features or things like that.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 3, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Doing a review / roundup might be better for this. With mainboards a lot of differences are settings in the BIOS and with most 486 machines there are a TON of Bios settings.

I'd be surprised if you find significant performance differences between boards unless some boards have missing features or things like that.

i guess its mostly chipset difference. as we know there were huge difference between via691/693 and bx in the pentium2 days, sometimes up to 20% slower, mvp4 is a lot slower than mvp3 and ali5 aswell. i wonder if this applies to 486 boards too.