VOGONS

A question about roland cm-32p...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen the amibay thread just now and realized it was you that wanted that LAPC-I 😀
You've made an excellent choice , not only you get 100% mt-32 compatibility but you also get the extra SFX that the card has (some games play certain sfx only from it, ulitma underworld 1 has footsteps, clouds of xeen has rusty doors sfx, etc) 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21 of 27, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a MT-100 I got for 20 dollar on Ebay, but I have no plans to get a real roland mpu unless I stumble across one very cheap. They are just too rare and too expensive to be worth it imo, espiacally when there are alternatives as mentioned in earlier posts.

- The USB to Midi adapters and playing those old games with Dosbox (I know that takes away abit of the retro perspective, but I have little interest nor any old system pre Pentium 1 MMX system for those games.)
- The games that are really worth having a MT-32 for imo are the Sierra games and here there are patches for almost everyone of them (except the AGI games and Zeliard)
- The Ensonique cards are also an option for some games. The Ensonique VIVO is said to work and that is not paticular expensive or hard to find.

I have another question. Are the Sierra utilities compatible with any other games? Are there any other patches out there for non-Sierra games?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22 of 27, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went through this confusing process myself recently and ended up with an SCC-1 for general midi + an MPU-401 interface, external MT-32, and a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 for sound FX and OPL3. The SCC-1 and MT-32 outputs are directed into a 2 way switch, which in turn is directed into the sound blaster's line in.

It works really well and I like being able to switch b/w GM and MT-32 so easily.

And I'll just add that the RAP-10 doesn't include an intelligent mode MPU-401, so it's not particularly useful for anything really.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 26 of 27, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you mean business about building an authentic retro PC with Roland hw only a miracle can save you from spending megabucks.

note that if you choose the LAPC-I way, you must have a power supply which has the -5V rail. This is NOT a requirement with any other solutions.

To cover all Linear Arithmetic bases you should have either

- a LAPC-I + SCB-1 connector + MT32 first gen. (optionally +MT32 second gen)

OR

- MPU 401 card + MT32 + CM-32L (or CM64 or CM500)

and General Midi is still not in the picture.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 27 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea having am MT-32 (Old) and CM-32L covers all your bases. Add a SC-55 and you have all the Roland modules you need.

It sure does cost but prices will just keep climbing.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel