VOGONS

First post, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...I have bought these two VLB cards (salvaged from some random PCs sold as junk) and like to know what you think of their use.

- The Paradise Western Digital) WD90c33 cannot display some of the low resolution Hicolor modes, maybe including modeX ones

- The Cirrus Logic 5428 has a hardware bug: if used together with more than 14 MB main memory, it fails to support linear frame buffer.

Both cards can be upgraded to 2 MB RAM and I already did that with the Cirrus - it was easy as it utilizes 128k modules. The WD must be filled with 256k DRAM modules, they are difficult to find and somewhat expensive, too.

Now, I am reluctant to reduce main memory in any of my 486 systems just to have linear frame buffer support back with the Cirrus - this means farewell to Windows and inconvenient for late DOS games as well. How important is this feature at all? What sort of games will suffer for lacking it ?

The WD has no problems with LFB, but I suspect I will eventually come across games that will not run because of the missing low-res SVGA modes. ( I am not really interested in SVGA demos, scene stuff etc.)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most VESA SVGA games will work without LFB support, but will run noticeably slower as a result.

14MB of RAM is probably enough for most late DOS games that will run playably on a 486, although it may be a bit tight for Windows 95 if you run that.

Is it the physical presence of the RAM that causes loss of LFB, or is it when you make it available as XMS/EMS? If it's the latter, then you may be able to set up separate boot profiles to choose between LFB and more RAM.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I think I need a few prominent game titles now in order to test the difference between LFB and absence of LFB, to determine how important it is...

in my experience, the CL GD5428 drops LFB support immediately when you install 16MB RAM or more, regardless of available XMS/EMS. I tested this with Univbe 5.2 and 5.3. 😢 BUT if it turns out that LFB-dependant games still run too slow on a 486 DX4 with LFB enabled, and would run slow even on a Pentium with a good AGP card... then the whole issue is irrelevant.

Reply 4 of 5, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LFB doesn't have much impact on 486 class machines because the CPU is too slow to keep up at higher resolutions. It is possible to gain a few FPS in low-res/high-color modes, but not many games support these.

On faster CPUs with MTRR's (Pentum Pro/II, K6-2 CXT, etc...), LFB has a lot more impact because the LFB ranges can be cached.

Reply 5 of 5, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HunterZ, 5u3, thanks!
I have just finished a test run of Rebel Assault 1 and 2 and 7th Guest plus the 11th Hour. As you have pointed out (and I witnessed) that indeed the CPU is too much of a bottleneck in the 1st place. All in all, the GD5428 seems to be a better all-arounder, even with its inferior speed and refresh rate support.