VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My brother in law used to be big into PC gaming, and knowing my fascination with vintage hardware, he bestowed on me the only thing he kept from his last desktop, a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI with 16MB SGRAM (identified thanks to Falconfly). Unfortunately, he has been using laptops ever since, so the system got junked but the card survived.

So I have this graphics card, but I don't have any systems with PCI slots to put it in. I am thinking of building a cutting-edge 1999 system, using parts available from that year or earlier, wherever feasible. So I would do the following with a Windows 98SE build :

Pentium III 600EB Slot 1
ASUS P3B-F or Abit BX6 2.0
256MB PC133 SDRAM CL2
IN WIN S-Series S508T w/350W ATX Power Supply
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
Aureal Vortex 2 Sound Card (Diamond Monster Sound 3D MX300 most likely)
3Com 3C905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL
Microsoft PS/2 Intellimouse
IBM Model M Keyboard
Epson SD-880 Combo Floppy
Creative PC-DVD DXR2 DVD-ROM drive w/decoder
Sound Blaster 16 (model TBD)
Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro
30GB Hard Drive (probably Western Digital)

Since I have a PCI Voodoo, I can run the FSB without the instability caused by an 89MHz AGP bus. Back in the day my Geforce 256 ran fine on the AGP bus, but a Voodoo card?

The case is one area in which I have to compromise, I don't want someone's yucky old case. Still, this case does not have a hard drive cage that descends to the bottom (blocking off full-length ISA cards) and its ATX power supply is v1.3, so it will still support -5v.

The hard drive is another. 30GB was not likely to be had in a single drive in 1999, but the high end drives were close to or around that spec. I don't want to buy an old, failing hard drive when these are cheap. Above 32GB, FAT32 cluster sizes are an enormous 32KB. If I did want to go the higher capacity route, I would use a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 PCI controller, which can support 48-bit LBA and has a Windows 98 driver.

For audio output, I would use Klipsch v2-400, nice speakers then as they are now, if I could find a set cheap. For a monitor, I have a KDS VS-7p 17" CRT VGA monitor. It can do up to 1024x768 @ 75Hz and 1280x1024 @ 60Hz. Were money no object I would love a Sony GDM-F500 21" Trintron tube.

Back in 1999, if money were truly no object, I would probably have investigated the world of SCSI (Adaptec AHA-2940U2W Ultra 2 Wide SCSI) and the appropriate IBM Deskstar drives.

Also, back in 1999, the fastest Pentium III I could have bought (in theory) would be the 800EB, but that would be a bit too fast for my purposes. The alternative would be an Athlon at 750MHz, but I have never been comfortable with Slot A stuff. I could stuff the machine with 512MB of SDRAM, but that would be overkill as well. [/list]

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 9, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

I am thinking of building a cutting-edge 1999 system

"Pył" was released in 1999, it is a DOS game using glide, and it is not fluent on my PIII 450 with Voodoo3 in 640x480. So I guess you should consider something way faster. I guess nforce2 with isa slots and the fastest cpu possible for that board.

I guess for Win9x games it would be worth to have geforce 6800.

Don't know if there are any Win9x glide only games that would need the power of Voodoo5.

Reply 2 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or maybe run a Celeron 1400 via slotket adapter. 440BX is a nice chipset for 9x and old ISA hardware.

You could swap CPUs for games that run too fast. Very easy with Slot 1.

Reply 4 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An AGP type Voodoo3 works fine at 89MHz for me. Never experienced any instability.

I also used the PCI Voodoo3, but it has this voltage regulator which gets dangerously hot (burns the skin, be warned), for no real benefit.

I can recommend 440BX boards with 50 to 133MHz FSB speed support, You can put in that Pentium III 600EB and downclock it on the fly to 225MHz with softFSB. Recently I bought a socket 370 Pentium III 533EB for that purpose, which scales down to 200MHz.

If you want to go for performance Tualatin is king, I prefer the Tualatin-S (133MHz FSB, 512kB) over these Tualerons (100MHz FSB, 256kB), but that is because I am more of underclocker then an overclocker. 😁

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

What is the rating of the vram on your v3 3k pci?

6ns, which means 166MHz. I should be able to achieve 183 (Voodoo 3 3500 speeds) if I replace the thermal compound and put a fan by it. http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/v3overclocking/page6.asp

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can recommend 440BX boards with 50 to 133MHz FSB speed support, You can put in that Pentium III 600EB and downclock it on the fly to 225MHz with softFSB. Recently I bought a socket 370 Pentium III 533EB for that purpose, which scales down to 200MHz.

Does this softFSB program work even if your BIOS allows FSB speed changes by jumper only? Or in other words, will it work on any BX board?

Reply 7 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It works on mainboards of which the PLL IC clock generator is known and compatible with softFSB. A list is attached.

It uses the systems SM-bus or something to communicate with this PLL IC and tell it to change the bus speed, overriding BIOS and Jumper settings until the next boot.

Attachments

• Filename
    softfsb.txt
    File size
    3.06 KiB
    Downloads
    127 downloads
    File comment
    SoftFSB known compatibility list
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 9, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build the Op mentions in the first post sounds fine for 1999 and prior. FYI some of those Dos glide titles really just don't run that smooth at all regardless of the cpu speed. A Geforce 6800 would be way over doing it. That is more fitting of a dedicated XP build for XP gaming then for Windows 98. Anything that really would need that kinda power would be better off being run in XP for that matter anyway.

Reply 9 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A P3 600 will run some 1999 games less than optimally, and lots of oldies too fast. I usually run my P3 1400 @ 1050 on my BX board and never use the middling options I have except for experimentation.

Regarding DOS Glide games, Carmageddon is pretty nice at 600MHz for example, but this game can be tweaked to work with Voodoo3-5 and if you pair that up with a faster CPU it runs exceptionally well. Get that 120Hz CRT out yo.