VOGONS

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I am trying to run old games like Carmageddon (DOS version) in Windows 98 since the controller I am using is not DOS compatible. This is on a Pentium II system that has ISA slots, and a Sound Blaster Pro ISA card. The problem is that the sound is garbled and distorted. Is there any way to get clear audio from this card in Windows 98?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using amplified speakers? Then check if your card has a jumpers to disable the integrated amplifier. Usually this is labeled 'line out / speaker out'.

And.. why are you using DOS version of Carmageddon in Windows?

Reply 2 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might want to check the BIOS for settings like "passive release" and "pci delayed transaction". Try toggling them to on/off and different combinations. Sometimes these can cause problems with ISA sound cards on 440xx chipsets.

I remember having sound problems with Carmageddon, but that was with a Voodoo combined with a AudioPCI. 3D cards like to hog the PCI bus and cause problems for sound cards.

Reply 3 of 4, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only own the DOS versions of Carmageddon and Splat Pack, and haven't been able to determine any way to identify the Windows 95 versions among those for sale. None of the ones I have seen indicate whether they are for DOS or Windows. I am using amplified speakers, but the audio problems are not simply distortion due to excessive volume. There is breakup in the audio, intermittant sound, etc... I think this is a 444BX motherboard, and will look for those options. The systems do have 3DFX Voodoo1 or dual Voodoo2 cards so these are probably competing with the ISA slot.

Thanks

Reply 4 of 4, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The "delayed transaction" option has no effect, nor SST_FASTPCIRD=0. This BIOS does not seem to contain any setting for "passive release". Any other suggestions? The same distortion appears in DOS games, so it is not related to Windows98, but the Voodoo card interfering with the sound card. I can't get clean audio even with a PCI audio card as long as the Voodoo is used.

Thanks