VOGONS

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This mainly concerns a Dos/Win3.1 486 system, but is there any point?
The target disk being a 2GB compactflash drive.

Reply 1 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i would regard this completely useless, considering a 486 cpu can only handle about 30MB/s IO bandwidth, which is far below the 133MB/s bandwidth of pci bus, thats why some people say that 486s don't meet what it takes to use a pci bus.

Reply 2 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Performance wise it is pointless unless it is caching then maybe there will be a neat little boost. Beyond that the only advantage is being able to use larger drives.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a Promise SATA150 TX2 working on my MSI 486 board (SiS 497). That has 2x SATA 1 and 1x UDMA 133.

Unfortunately very few 486 chipsets properly support PCI DMA transfers to reduce CPU load. That was really what I wanted to get with a PCI card, since the onboard IDE controllers of those days were PIO-only and/or ISA-based.

Reply 5 of 5, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I had a Promise SATA150 TX2 working on my MSI 486 board (SiS 497). That has 2x SATA 1 and 1x UDMA 133.

Unfortunately very few 486 chipsets properly support PCI DMA transfers to reduce CPU load. That was really what I wanted to get with a PCI card, since the onboard IDE controllers of those days were PIO-only and/or ISA-based.

Ah!
That's what I meant, I should've been more clear on the PIO vs UDMA thingy.

😁