Topic actions

Reply 40 of 249, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

I guess Feipoa won the thread :p

Props for using the same box since then.

Did I win anything? I could really use an AMD K5-PR200 right now. My PR166 just won't cut it at 133 MHz to complete the Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison.

If it is any indicator as to my personality, I've also been using the same automobile for the past 25 years. I tend to hang on to stuff that just keeps on going. I probably won't buy another automobile (and maybe computer?) for as long as I live.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 41 of 249, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaxWar wrote:

I guess Feipoa won the thread :p

Props for using the same box since then.

Umm, the machine I posted in the beginning of the thread is still in use albeit with upgrades since then. It streams MP3s on the stereo in the basement. 😜

Reply 42 of 249, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

feipoa: Is that your only machine for new stuff? I guess it has problems with Youtube videos without stuttering, and especially all HD material I guess are non-watchable.

Also programs that requires to be updated to work, like Skype, Steam, etc will be a resource hog.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 43 of 249, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

feipoa: Is that your only machine for new stuff? I guess it has problems with Youtube videos without stuttering, and especially all HD material I guess are non-watchable.

Also programs that requires to be updated to work, like Skype, Steam, etc will be a resource hog.

Some people have figured how to get mobile versions of youtube videos to play very well on their old desktops just fine. As for me well I am doing pretty well without steam (pirate) and no skype (feds watching -_- ).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 44 of 249, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's see, like most of you I renewed my computer in '97 or '98:
MSI 6163Pro - 440BX
Celeron 400
32MB
20GB Seagate (it's in the computer I'm using now, an Athlon XP2600+)
Nvidia TNT2 card, 16MB no TV-out model by Guillemot
SoundBlaster32 PNP (from my P200)
Ricoh CD burner / DVD-rom reader combo
Win98/Redhat 5.2/Beos5
Nec 17" CRT

The sound card went back to the P200 when my MSI 6163 died...

Reply 45 of 249, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
vetz wrote:

Some people have figured how to get mobile versions of youtube videos to play very well on their old desktops just fine. As for me well I am doing pretty well without steam (pirate) and no skype (feds watching -_- ).

Thank goodness I can afford cheap ass gaming and don't have to pirate anymore. With and abundance of great PC gaming at under $5, worth of hours and hours of entertainment, I have no problem paying people for their efforts. But there is now way I'm paying $60 +tax for Diablo 3. 🤣 I will not play and they will not get my money. I thought the trial I played kinda sucked...

Reply 46 of 249, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't really upgrade my P166 MMX machine until around 2000-ish, so for the most part I was relegated to either DOS games or stuck playing newer games in software rendering mode.

- Intel AN430TX motherboard
- Pentium 166 MHz MMX CPU
- 32 MB PC66 SDRAM
- Integrated ATI 3D Rage II+DVD graphics with 2 MB SGRAM
- Quantum Fireball 1 GB HDD (actually still runs to this day)
- 33.6 Kbps ISA dial-up modem 😀
- Windoze 98

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 47 of 249, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Yes, this is the only machine I use for all modern computing (dual PIII-850). This machine and my 486 constitute 100% of my at-home computer usage. I built my wife a dual PIII-S 1.4 GHz many years ago, but I never use it except to run a benchmark or two. She also has a modern Thinkpad, but I don't even want to look at that machine. I also have a work computer, a Thinkpad as well, but it is only used when I need to take my work home (LabVIEW, MATLAB, SPICE, etc).

In the past 2 years, Youtube videos have become a little slower, but most of them still play without issue. I played this [retro computer] video without any problems,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJirpyLzPE8
Remember, I have dual 850's. Youtube uses both processors to play that video. The graph ranges from 77-95% CPU utilisation. I get a frame loss only every 40 seconds, or so. I tested it on Firefox 3.6.24.

Skype works fine. iTunes works fine. I have 1 GB of RAM and use an Ultra SCSI disk. Everything I need works fine. It still feels rather chiper in my opinion. These Dell Precision Workstation 410's were built to last! I seem to be the only one here with such a computer. It has the most convenient case I've ever seen. Maybe more will follow...

Last edited by feipoa on 2012-07-09, 05:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 48 of 249, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow a dual PIII-1.4. When Intel was busy ramming pee4 down everyone's throat I was dreaming about a dual PIII 1.4. I wonder which platform you went with. I remember the official options from intel involving rambus, but there was also an interesting board from "serverworks" which I badly wanted but couldn't afford. VIA made some affordable platforms for the chip, but they were probably crap. I ended up going with a Tualatin Celeron 1.2 and a gimped i815 because it was dirt cheap. That served me well for 5 years!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 49 of 249, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Wow a dual PIII-1.4. When Intel was busy ramming pee4 down everyone's throat I was dreaming about a dual PIII 1.4. I wonder which platform you went with.

You mean for the wife's computer? I went with a relatively inexpensive solution from Intel. It is an Intel SAI2 motherboard. They are cheap on eBay, about $30 new, with lots of surplus. In fact....

I have started a new topic so as to not derail too much from the original post.

Dual PIII-S Tualatin Success Stories
Dual PIII-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz Success Stories

Reply 50 of 249, by coppercitymt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the posts very cool reading them, I setup up a Dell PII 266Mhz with a Riva 128 and Voodoo 2 on Windows 95 should handle all late 90's games very well (I hope).

Dell XPS D266
64MB Ram
7GB HDD
Riva 128
Voodoo 2
Sound blaster

Stull wrote:

- RivaTNT 16MB AGP
- 3DFX Voodoo2 12MB

I can remember struggling to choose between the smoothness of the Voodoo2 and the richness of the 32-bit RivaTNT when games supported both Glide and OpenGL/DirectX..

Reply 51 of 249, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My own BX board machine lasted me until April of 2008. I finally caved and got a Core2Duo and sent the old one to the basement to stream MP3s. I was originally going to upgrade it in 2000 or so, but the whole RDRAM/i820 mess happened. I reconsidered replacing it in 2002, but then the whole era of crap hardware happened (P4s weren't much faster, and AMD Socket A machines were unreliable). After that I just limped along with that machine for some reason.

YouTube videos used to run fine on a PIII 550Mhz (and PowerPC Macs for that matter). They used to use the inefficient but quick to decode h.263/Sorenson codec for videos. Once "high quality" h.264 was phased in and some bloated Flash updates, PowerPC Macs and anything older then a P4 struggled to play stuff off of that site.

Reply 52 of 249, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In mid 1999 I was using a Pentium II 450MHz on a ASUS 440BX, 128MB RAM, Riva TNT 16MB, 2 Voodoo2 8mb Sli and SBLive!.

Reply 53 of 249, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2 300MHz
SDRAM 128Mb PC100
Matrox Millenium II 8Mb PCI
Diamond Monster 3D II 12Mb
Creative SB AWE64 Gold
Adaptec 2940U2W
Plextor UltraPlex40Max
Seagate ST39102LW x 2pcs
Yamaha 4416s

Some of that stuff still work )

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 54 of 249, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was 7 at the time and I remember my brother having a:

Pentium 166MMX
Voodoo 4MB
32MB RAM
xGB HDD (can't remember!)
AWE 32
32x CD-ROM

I'd play Tank Racer, Ignition and my favourite, Test Drive 5 on that. And possibly Need For Speed II SE.

Reply 55 of 249, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1999?

I worked quite a bit that year in the school holidays and together with this, past savings and other pocket money I built myself a Pentium 2 300 MHz machine. I still had a Voodoo 2 from the previous Pentium 133 box (which I sold) so that was a nice upgrade.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 56 of 249, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using a Pentium 133 non MMX, a random un-branded socket 7 AT motherboard, 32 MB of RAM, 2x 1GB Seagate Medalist HDDs, trident 2MB VGA card, Soundblaster AWE32 ISA, some crappy CD-ROM drive, and a half dead floppy drive. it was outdated at the time, but my current system is still outdated, a P4 maxed out at 2GB RAM, 3.06GHz 478 CPU, 128MB Nvidia AGP card, and an 80GB HDD. it can still game surprisingly...

Insert creative signature here.

Reply 57 of 249, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I had a Shuttle HOT-569, Pentium 233MMX, 32MB of RAM, Matrox Millenium II 4MB, Voodoo 1 4MB, Maxtor 1.6GB hard drive, early SB16 MCD, GUS ACE 1MB, 4x Mitsumi CD-ROM, generic floppy and AT case w/250watt power supply, Windows 95 OSR2 and DOS 6.2. Some of the parts still survive to this day.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 58 of 249, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't remember exactly if my father built that machine for me in 1999 or a year or two later than that (would've only been 8-9 years old at the time), but the specs were something like this:

-some old AT case and PSU
-PC-Chips M598 (WORST. MOTHERBOARD. EVER. I didn't truly realize how bad it was at the time, but it clearly shows that he wanted this build cheap.)
-AMD K6-2 350, overclocked to 366 MHz with the FSB dropped to 66 (For some reason, the system was unstable at 100 MHz FSB no matter what I tried. I actually thought it was supposed to be 366 MHz for years!)
-128 MB PC-100 SDRAM
-SiS 530 integrated graphics (Don't even think of updating past DirectX 7 with this unless you want to lose DirectDraw acceleration and make it even more painfully slow.)
-ATI Xpert98 PCI (I recall my father actually having to return an AGP card and get this upon realizing that the mobo didn't actually have an AGP slot. Still performed pretty well, though.)
-Creative SB Live! Value
-Maxtor 10 GB IDE/PATA HDD

Good enough for DOS and early Win9x gaming, but running anything like Unreal Tournament onward ruthlessly showed how underpowered it was, especially by comparison to the better computers my father owned. (It wasn't too long before he got one with an Athlon XP 1700+ and I ended up gaming on that thing all the time instead, even though it wasn't built specifically for me.)

I've since sent the computer itself to a recycling center, only keeping a few parts like the HDD and the SB Live! Value. Some of the wires were developing faults (including that to the main CPU fan!), it was AT, the M598's layout proved to be dreadful when I started tinkering with the inside more (having to squeeze I/O port headers between expansion slots is NOT pleasant!), and most of all, I could easily buy or build way better systems representing that era of computing for not much money.

Reply 59 of 249, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD K6-2/350, PC Chips M577 mobo, 64MB RAM, S3 Trio 3D2X GPU.

After a decade in the catacombs (PSU explosion in ~2002) I'm now bringing this dinosaur back to life.