VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I read that bit, Windows 2000 locks up on boot and putting the jumper back doesn't seem to help. Not upset about any of it though, it sure was a challenging troubleshoot. 😀

Reply 21 of 22, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chewhacca wrote:

Yeah, I read that bit, Windows 2000 locks up on boot and putting the jumper back doesn't seem to help. Not upset about any of it though, it sure was a challenging troubleshoot. 😀

Probably the problem is data corruption because of way too fast ram
Of course even if you put the jumper back the data is still corrupted

But i wonder what could happen if you use only 1 cpu and remove the jumper to see what happens?

EDIT: By looking at your avatar i thought you was tetrium 🤣

2611708.png

Reply 22 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the sake of historical preservation, I am copying the important information from that website noted above. I predict vogons will be around alot longer than many of these other forums.

The Tyan Tiger 100 has an undocumented jumper, JP2, located proximal to the DIMM sockets. When the jumper is on in the factory default setting, the queue depth is set to one. When removed the queue depth is set to the maximum of four.

In the factory default position, memory bandwidth as measured by STREAM is half that found with comparable products from ASUS and Intel based on the 440BX PCIset. However, if JP2 is removed the memory bandwidth is nearly identical to that of the ASUS and Intel boards. If you are experiencing problems with performance of the Tyan Tiger 100, please remove this jumper.

I'd talk with TYAN's techsupport about this. They point me to this problem and said that this is 'Intel's CPU problem'. When I asked why the Thunder 100 (1836DLUAN) has no such jumper I got strange answer about 'Tiger 100 is 4-layer board but Thunder is 6-layer so no jumper needed'. Do you understand something? May be it means some problems with exchanging a lot of data on high rate? I understand nothing from this mysterious answer. But I got promised crash after 1-2 hours of WinNT 4.0 HCT. It's my reason to post previous message.

Although I think this is TYAN problem.

One other thought on what you might try. If the Tyan board supports registerted RAM like my 440BX board does, you might want to try a single stick of 256 MB registered ECC memory. It would also be prudent to put a single Katmai CPU back in place and go from there. Anyone with a pre-Rev.F board may also want to confirm these problems.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.