VOGONS

First post, by coppercitymt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something has been on my mind lately, vintage gaming on vintage laptops?

I don't see much about it on here, dose anyone do it and have any success at it . Someone handed me a nice HP media laptop with a P4 1.6Ghz ATI GPU and best of all it only has like 200 hours on the system. I could save a lot of space time trouble and so on by using laptops for gaming. A person could play all there games on two or three laptops and take up the space of one desktop case alone.

My on thought would be there is massive lack of hardware no add in graphics cards and sound blaster cards and so on, Could you replace a good DOS desktop with a laptop?

Is it a good setup for someone just looking to play the games and not mess around with countless drivers graphic sound controller cards and so on?

Share you thoughts and such on the subject.

Reply 1 of 3, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
coppercitymt wrote:

My on thought would be there is massive lack of hardware no add in graphics cards and sound blaster cards and so on, Could you replace a good DOS desktop with a laptop?

Yes if:

1) its good enough to run DOSbox
2) it has a screen that can scale the EGA/VGA nicely

Pure dos is almost impossible because of lack of DOS drivers, but emulated is ok.

Reply 2 of 3, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lcdrugo has a thread on this topic. One big issue you'll run into with vintage laptops is ghosting on the screens, but in a lot of cases you can hook up an external monitor to solve that. If you just want to play games in DOS and not deal with hardware or drivers, you might as well use DOSbox. 😁

Reply 3 of 3, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P4 laptops are vintage now 🙄

If you run DOSbox you don't need to care about add-in graphics and sound cards, on the other hand, if you want to use it as a real DOS/Win9x machine, you can use a PCMCIA sound card to get sound in pure DOS and sometime Sound blaster emulation in Win9x.

As for the grapich cards update, some old laptops (by HP and IBM) can use ISA and/or PCI cards in their docking stations.
More recent ones fom Lenovo can use PCI-e cards, so you're not fixed with a cheap mobile integrated graphic card.