VOGONS

Reply 40 of 311, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you have both a P3TDE and a P3TDDE, it would be best to compare the AGP performance of a single card in both motherboards with same CPUs.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 41 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GL1zdA wrote:

Since you have both a P3TDE and a P3TDDE, it would be best to compare the AGP performance of a single card in both motherboards with same CPUs.

Is that a fair comparison? The P3TDDE has AGP 4x whereas the P3TDE only has AGP 2x. It seems natural that the AGP 4x interface would be faster. I think I would need to use an AGP 2x-only graphics card to run this comparison.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In case anyone wants a POWERHOUSE board. I will no longer be bidding on the one I saw on ebay. Aparently there are others that want it more than I do:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360492640866

My spending limit was $125. I'm thinking about shrill bidding the thing up a bit out of spite and malice. Oh well.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 43 of 311, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

Is that a fair comparison? The P3TDDE has AGP 4x whereas the P3TDE only has AGP 2x. It seems natural that the AGP 4x interface would be faster. I think I would need to use an AGP 2x-only graphics card to run this comparison.

I don't think it will matter for the early GeForces.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33609274

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 44 of 311, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one these, it will be up for grabs in the future,

http://www.msi.com/product/server/Pro266TD-Master.html

the "LR" version.

Last edited by cdoublejj on 2012-10-08, 20:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

In case anyone wants a POWERHOUSE board. I will no longer be bidding on the one I saw on ebay. Aparently there are others that want it more than I do:

My spending limit was $125. I'm thinking about shrill bidding the thing up a bit out of spite and malice. Oh well.

end price: $325. I'm sad now. 🙁

Reply 46 of 311, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
luckybob wrote:

end price: $325. I'm sad now. 🙁

Why are you sad? Its a sad fact that someone is ready to spit out 325$ for dozen year-old mainboard 😀 I never pay more then 50$ for any retro part out of principle with Roland SC55 being a lone exception to that rule (payed 60$).

Let's be honest, for 325$ you can get a complete normal retro machine of your choice with perfect components, including a decent CRT 😊 Or you can get a modern i7 CPU, or one of the best video cards available today. Or have a vacation on the Caribbean 😁

Reply 47 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sad because I wanted that board. My personal cutoff was $100. I'm sad because that jerkoff with the $450 Tyan one now thinks he has a shot.

I'm sad because if I had a SDS2 i would have sold it for 350. 😢

Reply 50 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elfuego wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

100 bucks ! O_0 Jeeze. Wow I should have no problem selling mine then.

Heeey, I'll offer you 50 😊 😜

OI!

Reply 51 of 311, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
elfuego wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

OI!

elfuego wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

email@ cdoublejj@gmail.com ...I have more.... piles more.

Reply 54 of 311, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had an absolutely horrific experience with an MSI dual-p3 motherboard back in the day. I do not recall the exact board but it was a VIA chipset, the board was not Tualatin compatible, and it only supported up to 933Mhz.

I have no fond memories of this board as it gave nothing but blue screens (running Windows 2000). I had this board replaced at least a dozen times. The problem was the northbridge which was faulty. The problem went away when MSI finally sent me a board with a different north bridge.

In your dual-p3 endeavors-- BEWARE!!

Reply 55 of 311, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

I had an absolutely horrific experience with an MSI dual-p3 motherboard back in the day. The problem was the northbridge which was faulty. ...VIA chipset...

It could have been so many things. It was VIA and of the time when their northbridges had AGP bugs. The pre-VT8233 southbridges have PCI and USB problems. The motherboard itself may have had inadequate AGP power delivery. The BIOS may have been poorly written and creating problems.

Reply 56 of 311, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Does anyone know of a good beige/white E-ATX case to fit this 13" deep motherboard?

The absolute best match for your big badass Supermicro motherboard is the big badass Supermicro SC-750A tower case, one of which sold on eBay recently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-ATX-Full-T … =p2047675.l2557

I can testify firsthand to the awesomeness of this case, as I owned one back in the day. It's big enough to fit any size ATX motherboard and it has ample mounting spots for cooling fans near the expansion cards and drive bays. Ars Technica did a thorough review back in '99:

http://archive.arstechnica.com/reviews/1298/sc750a.html

There's a slightly updated version called the SC-760A which might be easier to find, and there's an AT version called the SC-750S which is probably the most impressive non-server AT case ever created, but clearly overkill for most vintage builds.

Reply 57 of 311, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a REALLY big case. 😳

I think he could search of a "full atx" tower. But I don't know if the mounting is different for E-ATX compared to standard ATX. He would have to consult the specifications for the case itself.

Reply 58 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

That's a REALLY big case. :shocked:

I think he could search of a "full atx" tower. But I don't know if the mounting is different for E-ATX compared to standard ATX. He would have to consult the specifications for the case itself.

I ended up going with a SuperMicro SC733 chasis. It supports full E-ATX. I had planned on using it with the SuperMicro P3TDE motherboard which needs the extra layout space. When I took the S370 coppermine chips out of that board and put in the Tualatin chips, the board wouldn't turn on. Voltage and other jumperand DIPs were set accordingly. This motherboard is supposed to ONLY work with Tualatin chips. I suspect whoever had it before me with the Coppermine chips installed ruined the board. I was pretty bummed about this. It used to be that I could put the coppermine chips back in and the board would fire up, but after days of goofing with it, not even the coppermine chips will turn it on again.

I do still have the P3TDDE board, but it doesn't support PCI-X and doesn't have dual channel memory, so I went with the MSI-9105 Pro266 Master LR board. I figured the one-up from the P3TDDE is that the MSI can accept DDR266 RAM. The P3TDDE will eventually go into a non-everyday system.

This Supermicro SC733 chasis came with this hot-swap bay for SATA drivers; each drive has its own activity LED on the case. Four SATA drives are now installed. I also wired up a jumper header for the NIC so that the case's NIC can light up and got USB 2.0 on the front panel via some custom wiring. Getting the fans quiet to my taste also took a long time.

All it needs now is 4 GB of DDR RAM. This Micron stuff I got on eBay doesn't work. The motherboard spits out a bunch of non-ending slow beebs.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251192554420
The density must not be correct, but the motherboard manual doesn't call for any specific densities or chip configurations. It is registered, ECC, 4GB, DDR266 (and CL2) as the manual requests. Anyone know which 1GB DIMMs will work on this MSI board?

I have a single piece of 128 MB installed just to get the system setup, but that doesn't get you very far in XP.

Attachments

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.