VOGONS

Reply 120 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Luckybob, your idea will indeed stress the system, but it will be a tad more difficult for us to impliment the same setup. I'd go with Feipoa's idea and install Windows 2000 SP4 + an instance of Photoshop CS. If we all work on the same raw image, we should get an idea of how well the SMP is being used in a real world example on our systems.

For testing the PCI-X, Luckybob's idea is great, but it won't help us on the non-serverworks chipsets.

Reply 122 of 311, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

... Is the 440BX stable at 133 MHz? ...

@ 133 :

13343359.gif

@ 140 :

13343362.gif

@ 150 :

13343366.gif

luckybob wrote:

... the 440BX was LEGENDARY for being stable at 133mhz ...

^ This. 😈

Let the air flow!

Reply 127 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TELVM, can you run MemTest 86+ v4.20 for 24 hours without any errors on the 440BX at 133, 140, and 150 MHz?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 128 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

flupke11, what are your best AGP graphics cards?

Hercules 9700Pro
X1950 AGP
7800GS AGP

The first one being the only native AGP. I should rummage in my stock, but I think that's about it when it comes to the fastest cards I have.

Reply 129 of 311, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

TELVM, can you run MemTest 86+ v4.20 for 24 hours without any errors on the 440BX at 133, 140, and 150 MHz?

Sorry mate but I'm not going to torture this venerable dinosaur for 24 hours in the middle of spanish summer temps 😵 .

Here's one hour @ 150 / 1575 :

13344052.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 130 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

flupke11, do you have a Voodoo 3 3000? Otherwise, I see you have a Matrox G550, which I also have. At least graphic cards would be consistent this way.

TELVM, air conditioning? Oh wait, ENPC EP-KB23 motherboard - is this a single CPU board?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 131 of 311, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

long time no one posted..let me try something ! I've got CUR-DLS mobo (HP E800 netserver complete to be exact). And i have no clue ho to boot
that system. I tried with both winXP pro/home CD, 98 startup disk and nothing happens. It just passes POST shows some white confguration
screen, spins SCSI to 10k rpm and says "Operating system not found"..And thats all. Tried to change boot order in bios but same thing, it does
read floppy and spins the CD but nothing happens. Is this something BIOS related or what? I would really like to install winXP on it. Now its runnig
single 866 P3 but i tried with 1.4S Ghz (modded ofcourse..) and it also went to the "Operating system not found" screen..Any help, advice..?
Thank you !

Reply 132 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

can you boot to a floppy? do you have the latest bios? http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=CUR-DLS

If you are running 1 cpu, do you have a dummy cpu installed in #2?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 133 of 311, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

can you boot to a floppy? do you have the latest bios? http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=CUR-DLS

If you are running 1 cpu, do you have a dummy cpu installed in #2?

I tried booting from a floppy, you can hear that seek sounds over the disk but nothing happens, i did try with win98se disk maybe thats the
problem. No, for now im not trying to do original asus bios because this is HP board, i know its the CUR board but few things are not the same
like max installable RAM ; HP is limited to 2Gb and Asus is 4Gb..I dont know is this some memory adressing thing changed in bios or what,
but for now im sticking with original HP version (not the newest one i know...). Got few CPUs on hand, and also a terminator card...

Reply 134 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it sounds like a bios issue. can you get the latest HP bios? Do you know someone who can pull the bios chip and flash it manually for you?

Reply 135 of 311, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

it sounds like a bios issue. can you get the latest HP bios? Do you know someone who can pull the bios chip and flash it manually for you?

you mean like flash it in some programator? i can flash it while it's still in the mainboard, old fashion way with floppy..i got newest one from HP
site.

Reply 137 of 311, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

well, if it cant boot, how are you going to flash the bios?

Because it's a HP board i thought they have some locking mechanism that prevents you from puting in all sorts of startup disks and only accepts
HP stuff...So, following that thought; flashing it with original HP tools and bios bin would work. I'll try to do it today. I it fails what would it be?
Corrupt bios chip ?

Reply 138 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think the bios is necessarily corrupt, but when you flash the chip EVERYTHING gets reset to factory. I've had a similar motherboard that just would not find hard drives, but a bios flash corrected the issue. I still have the board even. What have you got to lose?

Reply 139 of 311, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I don't think the bios is necessarily corrupt, but when you flash the chip EVERYTHING gets reset to factory. I've had a similar motherboard that just would not find hard drives, but a bios flash corrected the issue. I still have the board even. What have you got to lose?

ok lets get started.
1st : faulty fdd,
2nd : no SCSI detected and no symbios on startup
clearing cmos reseting bla bla
BIOS updated to last version aka 1.8
booting from ide hdd : nothing, there is no "operating system not found" msg but screen stays black. While posting i can hear "klang" sound from
HDD, similar sound found when this HDD in other machins goes to standy in windows..
So i tried to fry the chip ; flash it with original asus bios ..nothing, some error about not finding right bios information...
flashing again with afudos and again no luck..would it work if i source original asus bios chip and put it in ?