VOGONS

Reply 140 of 311, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

saga continues ! With all those faulty fdd-s and cdrom-s i managed to find working pieces. Ok, xp install did start, and last about that screen where you adjust your local settings. And then BSOD but i guess not from windows ! It says "Hardware malfunction, please contact your vendor, system halt" And nothing, youneed to reset. I pulled out one ram stick, same thing, dc fdd again same thing, unpluged IDE HDD same thing,
pulled out second ram stick same thing. Now to unplug both SCSI and try just with IDE HDD..Excep that anyone got idea what the problem could be?
I'm not expert but one cap looks not so good, kinda domed at top.Could that be the problem ?

Reply 141 of 311, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

solved ! problem was in SCSI drives...after disconnecting them and leaving just IDE HDD everything worked well..XP SP2 is just being installed,
running on single cpu and damn, it's so slow...Ther's only one thing left I want to try, but i'll post results in another popular thread 😁
Ok, one more question. Are there any tools that allows you to play with Pheonix bios ? I did unlock and mob Ami one on my old MS 6309 board and
it was really really easy. Award on Asus seems bit more complicated as you have to insert modules and use hex editor for things to work, but
what about Pheonix? Any recomendations? I want to add microcode so it can recognize 1.4 Tualatin cpu...

Reply 143 of 311, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:

i might guess that happened because you didn't have the f6 drivers and freaked out windows xp installer?

nope, LSI driver is already in win installation drivers, no worry. Seems like a hdd malfunction or something and i'm not going to check into it 😁
now that i'm sure it's working i don't know what i'm gonna do with it 😁

Reply 144 of 311, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope no one gets pissed off with such a simple question but I am working on finding a second P3 for it but finding the exact spare is proving elusive outside eBay. I can find others of the same clocks but different sl specs. The one that came stock is a 933 slot 1 with the slpec sl448 will getting a sl4bt will result in the dreaded error? Same clocks and same volt, Dell Precision 420MT with the latest bios.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 145 of 311, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably easier to get a new matched pair if you're unable to get one of the same revision.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 147 of 311, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 3, a disassembled Intel, an occasionally used P3TDE-6/FireGL X2, and a heavily used P3TDLE triple headed one with an ISA Guillimot HS64 Pro and a DMX6Fire. Note that it can use ALL slots, that 6 PCI and the ISA with the video PCIX at 66 MHz. Both run CL2 memory, the single channel board with 3 gig, one empty, and the scsi board with 2 512's. As I remember from testing a long time ago the dual channel runs about a third faster, and it has 1.26's. I simply love that LE board even though it is pretty slow. I use it daily in a remote location for digesting Efilive logs and tuning software. I get internet from a cell tower on the mountain and stream radio since there are no other signals in the air. It is stable for weeks on end and runs XP. And that HS64 does work under XP and installed by default from a custom nlite disc. It runs all passive cooling even at 10000' with the cpu's at 55-65°C. It has eaten 4 hard drives over the years and now runs SSD's. The -E6 scsi AGP board isn't all that stable under XP so it runs W2K and is offline only.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 148 of 311, by atacama40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there....first time post & apologies and old thread & maybe going over old ground for some of you.

Have an ASUS CUV4X-DLS based machine with 1 x 1.4 PIII processor in it. I have a second which came as a matched pair but I've never had any success getting two to work & have to confess to some ignorance in knowing the benefits or work required to configure.

The machine is an old XP Pro machine fully patched & up to date & working a treat.

I have a need to keep an XP machine alive & well and would love to get that second chip working for a living.

Possible someone could give me a brief on the benefits could expect if I get it running please.

Also any pre-requisites please e.g memory, XP version, etc?

And if anyone has sopecifically set up a CUV4X board, I love to get a tick list of what to look for settings wise. I'm currently reading the manual and have had a few failed attempts to get this cracked and tonight stumbled across this thread which seems very informative.

Would appreciate anyone's time and input. Many thanks in advance

Reply 149 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@ atacama40
it "should" be as easy as dropping in the 2nd chip and turning on the machine. But you have the NON tualatin board. Meaning it only supports the pentium 3 up to 1ghz. (officially) As far as Asus goes, the TRL-D** boards are the (native) dual tualatin's. Speaking of, if you happen to see a TRL-DLS, let me know. I want one something fierce.

As far as OS goes, XP pro is fine and will work seamless with 2 chips vs 1. More memory is almost always better, especially with XP.

As far as benefits.... it depends. it WILL help, how much will depend on the software you use. even if you use single core software, the 2nd chip can still plug away on other background tasks, so no matter what, it will help.

@CWF
I'd love to see pictures of this radio tower. ^.^ If I ever had the money to do it, I'd live in the mountains with nothing but an internet connection.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 150 of 311, by atacama40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

LuckyBob many thanks for taking the time to explain that....makes a lot of sense.

Several times over the last 3-4 years I've sat and tried this exercise but never managed to get to that understanding. I suspect I took a flyer on that. Over the years I've had quite some success plugging chips that were too big into machines (earlier laptops especially) and they have lived and worked remarkably well. Seems now that lucky streak may have come to an end! 😀

Frustrating but at least it's a 'known' now. Then I'm wandering if 2 x 1.0mhg PIII would ace the 1.4 PIII.....it sounds superficially like it might.

At the risk of picking your brains further, would you have any idea the part references and details of the 1.0 units that I might try. I have a terrible feeling I pulled and threw a 1.0 unit to try these 1.4's. If they are cheap enough which I'd imagine they should be by now, I might give it a try.

And I guess there is no harm in trying the dual 1.4's again for the help of it.

Many thanks LB, is very helpful information. Cheers

Reply 151 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, tualatin chips can be modified to work on non tualatin boards. Off the top of my head, 2x 1.0's vs 1x 1.4 will probably be a wash unless you are using some software thats specifically designed for 2 cpus.

If you wanted to get 1.0 chips, they should be relativly cheap. Best advice is to match s-spec models. Here are some examples: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-III/Int … 1000256%29.html

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 152 of 311, by atacama40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again LB, is very useful stuff.

Yes the PC in question is not having to work so hard in reality....I'm redeploying it to monitor my security camera system which it seems be doing ok'ish anyway. But I hate wasting an upgrade opportunity or slot on the computer 😀 .... and I to say having spent a short while now on Vogons, I'm tempted to try something more interesting with it

Thanks for the link. I'll have a little ebay look round just for the hell of it....never done dual processor before...well successfully that is.

At the risk of outstaying my welcome, do you know the precise SDRAM spec for that board.....I think its DIMM 1GB SDRAM 168 pin. I would have thought I'd be able pick that up for just a few quid but hesitated before buying in case the spec was something more elaborate.

Reply 153 of 311, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are modified Pentium III-S 1400 that works in motherboards with Coppermine support. The FSB limitations of some motherboards might hinder them from running at 1400 MHz.
They are not very cheap but the mod is well made. I have bought 4 CPUs from this seller and all of them have worked perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tualatin-P-IIIs-1-4GH … =item417b1c3fc1

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 154 of 311, by atacama40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Skyscrapper hi there and many thanks for the information. This looks amazing.

Do I read that correctly? The modification would allow 2 of these to work on my ASUS CUV4X-DLS? Would be very interested to try that if I'm understanding correctly.

What started off as an exploration of an old (and very nearly thrown out) PC becomes really very interesting...even if it does have a cost as your rightly mention.

Many thanks for this....if you could confirm the above then my fingers inch towards the ebay 'buy now' button 😀

Reply 155 of 311, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I do not own that motherboard so I can not guarantee anything but I have had 100% success rate so far* and your board is in the list so it should work.
If it for some reason dosnt work I do not think you will have a hard time reselling these CPUs even if you perhaps do not get all your money back.
*with Intel 815, 440BX and VIA chipsets.

Perhaps some other member has experience running two of these modded Tualatins on a dual CPU board?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 156 of 311, by atacama40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes Skyscraper in parallel I saw in his add that it looks good. Time to press Buy Now!!!

And the 2 1.4 PIII's I have, are those the sort of thing that would sell on ebay? Again slightly new world for me but I guess if you and I are buying old PIII's then someone out there also would?

This is great news....at the other end of the spectrum I have a super new fast top level i5 I built recent weeks. That is totally dull by comparison this project.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Reply 157 of 311, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Non modified 1400 MHz Tualatins do normally not sell for more than lets say $5 -$10 each.
The modified ones should be much easier to sell as they work in more motherboards, they still work perfectly in Tualatin boards aswell.

With this seller you pay slightly more for the mod compared to some others but his mod is better then the others I have seen.
But he gives a discount on the shipping cost when you buy more than one so do not pay until he has changed the sum.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-01-12, 17:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 158 of 311, by atacama40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is good enough....it's not the money I just hate throwing stuff out. Probably being as a result of that I absolutely filled my office with so much stuff I could not get in! I've been selling it on ebay for the last month and cannot believe how it has sold...everything has gone...well nearly everything. Not that two PIII's is such a problem but keen to move surplus on these days.

Definitely going to order these moded units and give it a try. Just out of curiousity what are you using your dual PIII's for?

Reply 159 of 311, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not use any dual PIII machines at the moment but I do own 2 of them.

I use my modded Pentium III-S CPUs in a couple of gaming systems.
I have 3 of the CPUs I linked and one Tualatin Celeron 1400 but I only use one each. The other two are intended for a dual CPU setup but I have not gotten to it yet.
I have tried the CPUs in many boards though and if a board can run a Coppermine it seems these work aswell.

Here is a presentation of one of my systems.
Tualatin PIII 1400-S + Geforce FX5900 Ultra Windows 98 build