VOGONS

Dual PIII-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz Success Stories

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 311, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember having a VIA MB first on my 1200 tualeron.
Moving to the TUSL2C changed my life. smoother response when accessing hard drives and all.
Going to the 1266 P3S was less efficient than from VIA to Intel chipset 😁

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 21 of 311, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sunaiac wrote:

I remember having a VIA MB first on my 1200 tualeron.
Moving to the TUSL2C changed my life. smoother response when accessing hard drives and all.
Going to the 1266 P3S was less efficient than from VIA to Intel chipset 😁

So it looks like the big issues to look for are IDE bus speeds? I wonder if a SATA card would circumvent that issue. Or is the PCI bus also having issues on the VIA chipsets?

Reply 23 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the P3TDE6 is a standard EATX board. so any case that claims it can accept EATX cases will do. Lian-Li are my favorite!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the P4 xeon version of the board you have. I run it in a lian li pc-v2000. The case is now almost TEN years old. looks brand new.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product0 … s_index=138&g=f

buy it!

Reply 27 of 311, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

The Abit VP6 contains the same chipset as the ASUS CUV4X-DLS (VIA Apollo Pro 133A). I wonder if it is more stable? The BSOD issues I had with the ASUS were usually from the SCSI controller, however I see the Abit board has onboard ATA instead. Do you have long-term experience using the Abit VP6 as an everyday computer? How would you rate its stability?

See my signature 😀

I can vouch for the VP6 at all aspects. I played a lot of new games on it, like fallout 3 (15FPS in the wasteland, more than 24 in cities), X-men origins Wolverine was a fast action - 15-20FPS...

Nothing fancy I know, but to answer your qestion : YES, rock solid under stress I described.

The current VGA (and the games mentioned ran on) is 7950GT 512MB.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 28 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shodan486 wrote:

YES, rock solid under stress I described.

What is your longest uptime in Windows?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 29 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have begun working on a dual Tualatin system to replace my aging daily purpose dual Coppermine machine. I started with the SuperMicro P3TDE (second image), however I could not get it to fit in any mid-sized towers; the motherboard is way too deep. The P3TDDE is also very large, but it would just barely fit. I am working with the P3TDDE now, but does anyone know if there exist any beige/white desktop towers which are sufficiently deep to accomodate the P3TDE? I don't really want to use a full server case.

I also tried the GeForce 6600 GT on the P3TDDE (third image on page 1), but it hanges on memory count. Sometimes the text turns red. I tried 2 different 300W power supplies with nothing else plugged in.

Last edited by feipoa on 2012-10-04, 04:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 30 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had one of these cases back when they were new. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Antec-VINTAGE-Performa … #ht_1236wt_1139

AWESOME case. I modded mine with a window and blue led lights in the grill. I still ahve a picture of my old rig somewhere...

Reply 31 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I had one of these cases back when they were new. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Antec-VINTAGE-Performa … #ht_1236wt_1139

AWESOME case. I modded mine with a window and blue led lights in the grill. I still ahve a picture of my old rig somewhere...

I have a similar depth Antec case, but I do not think it is not deep enough for this motherboard. This server board is 13" deep. The Intel SAI2 board (first image on page 1), for example, is only 10" deep. Even if I hack part of the case to fit the board, the CD-ROM holding tray will still be in the way.

For reference, the P3TDDE was almost 11".

Reply 32 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the antec case I linked should be large enough to hold a full e-atx board. The only possible issue is the height of ram. tall dimms might hit the hard drive cage.

Reply 33 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So there is a gap between the CD-ROM holding tray and the motherboard backing plate? How thick is the gap? This motherboard is deeper than it is long, so just by looking at that eBay photo, it will be going under the CD-ROM holding tray.

Thank you for providing the correct search term: E-ATX.

Does anyone know of a good beige/white E-ATX case to fit this 13" deep motherboard? I'm not looking for anything new age and fancy. This for example, is way too gaudy,
http://www.ebay.ca/itm120953515829

Something which looks like it is from the proper era, 2000-2003.

Reply 34 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On a related note. there is a dual tualatin motherboard on ebay that i'm bidding on. They didnt do a great job on the title so its likely to stay hidden and CHEAP. Basically, the only way to find it is by searching for the exact model number. its still SEALED in the original bag so I REALLY want it.

Reply 35 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Something which looks like it is from the proper era, 2000-2003.

nothing says 2002 like the antec cases. here is a better auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280864496041 (fifth picture)

There is very little space between the backplate and cd tray. I wish I could be more helpful.

Reply 39 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice find! I have not tested the board extensively yet. I wonder if the issue was resolved in WinXP? This article tends to focus on Win2000.

A good test might be to run the same card in PCI and AGP format to determine if the AGP port has any advantage.