VOGONS

Reply 60 of 311, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd like to try dual tualatins on my VP6 but I know for a fact that Lin Lin adapters aren't going to cut it. I have not ever read of anyone getting more than 1 Lin Lin adapter to work with the VP6. Not sure if pin modded Tualatins would work with it. Up to 1.2ghz might, but probably not 1.4ghz as the voltage requirement is slightly different from what I have been reading.

Reply 61 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

I love that case. If only it were black. :)

The black ones are a lot more common. I went out of my way trying to find the older beige case. So far, I don't have any black cases in my house and intend to keep it that way.

Attachments

• SC733_Black.JPG
    Filename
    SC733_Black.JPG
    File size
    38.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Found from Google image search
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 63 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

Wow.. I am now in love with these cases. :shocked:

Thanks for introducing me. :)

They come with a 450 Watt PSU, the largest rear exhaust fan I've seen, and a front fan which ducts the air flow to the SATA drives. The front and rear fans are thermistor controlled, so they speed up with increasing temperature. I found it too noisy for me, so I removed both the rear exhaust and SATA fans and replaced them with quiet smaller ones. I've run these 4 SATA drives in a case without a front fan for a long time and never had heating issues.

The SATA PCB connector plate also has some logic whereby it does not turn on the SATA drives until the SATA controller's BIOS is searching for them upon boot. This can be somewhat annoying because it starts the drives up in series as the BIOS searches the ports. This takes an extra 45 sec. to boot. If you had a whimpy PSU, I can see the benefit in starting the HDD's like this, but not with my current setup. You can bypass the SATA controller plate if you wish, but then you don't get the LED's for each HDD individually.

Reply 64 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

I love that case. If only it were black. :)

Btw, what is wrong with the white colour case?

Reply 65 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:
Kahenraz wrote:

I love that case. If only it were black. 😀

I think we had that discussion. ^.^

I don't think there is anything wrong with beige. But I just prefer black. Once you go black, you don't go back.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 66 of 311, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beige just reminds me too much of old computers going all yellow and aged. I don't care for that look and going black alleviates it completely.

Reply 67 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you still have that retro feel with a black case? Am I the only one who refuses to go black?

Reply 69 of 311, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Can you still have that retro feel with a black case? Am I the only one who refuses to go black?

It's not that I refuse to go black. I just happen to have lots of white cases, a couple silver and a few black. My Athlon II x3 resides in a white case as it provides good cooling, is a quality build case and I had it standing around (sorta, it used to house my Pentium 4 rig). I did match it with a white DVD drive though 😁
I tend to look at cases from a viewpoint, the important things to me are if it provides good cooling and it's not of crappy quality. I do try to sorta make a particular build somewhat period correct though.

Btw, I have nothing against either white or black cases. White cases do tend to go yellow on you though, that's a definitive minus.

I don't really like the modern cases though that have their PSU mounted on the bottom. It just looks strange to me 😜

Kahenraz wrote:

Retro for me is in the hardware and the experience not the case. 😀

We all experience "retro" in a different way of course, it's a personal thing 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 70 of 311, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I have begun working on a dual Tualatin system to replace my aging daily purpose dual Coppermine machine.

Any reason with sticking with a PIII? Just curious. I have found my X38 based C2D system to be a worthy successor to my old 440BX machine that I kept in daily service until mid-2008. Nice and stable with no weird issues.

Reply 71 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I have begun working on a dual Tualatin system to replace my aging daily purpose dual Coppermine machine.

Any reason with sticking with a PIII? Just curious. I have found my X38 based C2D system to be a worthy successor to my old 440BX machine that I kept in daily service until mid-2008. Nice and stable with no weird issues.

Because the dual Tualatin I setup for the wife many years back still feels like a rocket ship in comparison to the dual 850 MHz Coppermine. Also, I just don't get the classic feel for using anything newer than a Tualatin (or if the case is black!). I'm sure there will come a day when the dual Tualatin isn't enough for webpages, at which point I don't know what I'll do. Hopefully by then, non-yellowing white will be back to the PC market.

Reply 72 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have any Cachechk or Speedsys benchmarks for the Intel SDS2 or SCB2? I'm wondering if Cachechk or Speedsys will benefit from the dual channel RAM. If not, what benchmark would?

Reply 73 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Does anyone have any Cachechk or Speedsys benchmarks for the Intel SDS2 or SCB2? I'm wondering if Cachechk or Speedsys will benefit from the dual channel RAM. If not, what benchmark would?

I looked all over my old files and while I have pictures of my sds2, i don't have any benchmarks. I don't know if this benchmark from anandtech has been linked yet but here it is: http://www.anandtech.com/print/715

It pits multiple dual p3's against each other. granted they are only 733 chips... but still.

I know from experience that the dual channel sd ram beat everything except for like one or two tests. and I think the photoshop results show that the most. I will one day re-build my dual tulatin... one day...

Reply 74 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had run across this link at some point, but it was a good reminder.
I wasn't too impressed with dual channel PC133-based board over that of the VIA 266 DDR-based board. There was a slight increase in memory bandwidth of 8-10% for dual channel PC133, but for all other scenarios tested, the results of the 4 boards were not remarkable. For memory-only tests, the VIA Apollo 266 improved upon the Apollo 133 by 25%.

It is too bad the Intel ServerWorks ServerSet III LE did not make the cut. The average Speedsys's memory read, write, move tests for the LE were equivalent with the Apollo Pro 266.

Reply 75 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea... the p3 had a bit more life left in it, its a shame that intel wanted to smash it in favor of the P4. oh well.

Reply 76 of 311, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

yea... the p3 had a bit more life left in it, its a shame that intel wanted to smash it in favor of the P4. oh well.

From what I know, the Pentium 3 didn't scale very well. The coppermine had trouble going beyond 1Ghz even though the Athlon Thunderbird reached 1.4Ghz with relative ease, even though both are (or were) made using the same...whats it called? Process (in nanometers).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 77 of 311, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Oh but they didnt. They created the incredibly successful Pentium -M out of it. Its a shame it never went for desktops though. I guess it would impact the sales of P4 too much. My Pentium -M ULV 1.4 Ghz could easily match any Athlon 2000+ and P4 up to 2-2.4 Ghz. The Pentum -M at 2 Ghz could tag along any Athlon 3200+ or P4 equivalent. It was, and it still is *that* good. I can only imagine what it would do with a proper cooling in a full-desktop system in a decent OC motherboard. 😅

Reply 78 of 311, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Oh but they didnt. They created the incredibly successful Pentium -M out of it. Its a shame it never went for desktops though. I guess it would impact the sales of P4 too much. My Pentium -M ULV 1.4 Ghz could easily match any Athlon 2000+ and P4 up to 2-2.4 Ghz. The Pentum -M at 2 Ghz could tag along any Athlon 3200+ or P4 equivalent. It was, and it still is *that* good. I can only imagine what it would do with a proper cooling in a full-desktop system in a decent OC motherboard. 😅

And Core technology is also derived from Penitum M and Pentium III. Netburst went in another direction becoming the Pentium D, Celeron D and some Xeon variants.