VOGONS

First post, by coppercitymt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up with two working Dell Optiplex GXpro Pentium Pro 200Mhz systems. I have read the posts on here about those system's I have yet to try the on the fly 8mhz speed setting!

I have few questions about these systems and the Ppro in general how much slower is it then say a P 166MMx on 16bit code,and at 32 bit code It should blow away the P 166MMX. How do you tell if a game is in 16bit or 32bit?

Also what is the best OS to run on these to take full adavage of the maximum coverage of all the years say from 1985 (is that doable with the 8Mhz mode) to say 1995. Also will the S3 Trio 64V+ work or is there better out there?

looking forward to some input.

Reply 1 of 1, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
coppercitymt wrote:

How do you tell if a game is in 16bit or 32bit?

Anything that uses protected mode or has a 386 as its minimum requirements is 32-bit. Protected mode software usually includes DOS4GW.EXE in the game's directory and displays a message stating that DOS4GW is starting when the game is run, but there are also a few other "extenders" out there.

Also what is the best OS to run on these to take full adavage of the maximum coverage of all the years say from 1985 (is that doable with the 8Mhz mode) to say 1995.

Windows 95 or 98 in DOS mode should be able to run a game from 1985 without any problems. 98SE is probably the most preferable. 8 MHz might still be just a little too fast for some things; 4.77 MHz was pretty common for very early games. But honestly, games that are that old – or at least, their PC ports – probably aren't going to hold your interest enough to be worth making a fuss over getting them to run correctly.