VOGONS

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know if stand alone PCI sounds cards have built in amps that would make their output volume higher than sound cards built into the motherboards? Or maybe a specific PCI card that would run on Win7?

I bought a pair of old (but new, newer used) Creative speakers SBS10 that apparently need a powered sound card. I plugged it into the built in motherboard's sound card. Turned the volume all the way up and I can barely hear it. Any advice?

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow how old are these speakers?

The very old Sound Blaster cards came with an amplifier. Starting with the Sound Blaster 16 you could disable the amp and have a line-out. Many cards had both outputs (line-out and an amplified one).

But after that it's all line-out. So your best bet is to just get powered speakers.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Wow how old are these speakers?

The very old Sound Blaster cards came with an amplifier. Starting with the Sound Blaster 16 you could disable the amp and have a line-out. Many cards had both outputs (line-out and an amplified one).

But after that it's all line-out. So your best bet is to just get powered speakers.

I think they are from 1997. I found them online for a couple of bucks, brand new, never opened. They look like this:

31bjnVfI8ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What about the SB Live cards, or Audigy? I see creative has beta drivers for win7 for both these cards.

Reply 3 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once found a pair of old Altec Lansing speakers out for trash that were high end speakers in their day that I have been using for years. They are white with blue, cloth grilles over the speakers and the sound is great.

Reply 4 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can look on eBay for sound card amps which go into the 5.25" drive bay. They should be quite cheap. But so are new powered ones 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 6, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

You can look on eBay for sound card amps which go into the 5.25" drive bay. They should be quite cheap. But so are new powered ones 😀

I second that, I purchased a cheap Logitech branded 5.1 powered speaker system for a c note at Fry's.

You can get the powered 2.1's for much less then this of course.

For the pricing they sound really good too.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 6 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have these speakers for my time machine:

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/3594/img1254ew.jpg

2.0 speakers give you IMO better retro sound. At least when I grew up the concept of subwoofers didn't exist yet 😀

My YouTube channel