VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am currently (always really) once again exploring new storage options.

The IDE <> SATA adapter part of this project but I also tested my CF cards.

I have a cheap Memorette and a decent Kingston (16 GB Elite Pro) and tested them on two setups.

The Super Socket 7 machine (Aladdin V chipset) comes with an UDMA 33 IDE controller. The other system is a MSI board (VIA chipset) and a fast Pentium 3 1.4 GHz. This board has an UDMA 66 controller.

I used a Windows XP live CD (I made this ages ago with Bart PE) and benched the drives. These are the results:

SS7 machine:

memorettess7.jpg

P3:

memorettep3.jpg
kingstonp3.jpg

P3 board in action 😀

img1347xc.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Can you run this same test on a 486, say, an AMD X5-133/160?

Haven't got one sorry. And the 486 I have has no hope of starting that Windows XP Live CD (just 4MB of RAM) 😀

But I can pretty much guarantee you that the CF cards will be limited by the speed of the IDE controller. The Super Socket 7 has UDMA 33 and this still holds them back.

Reply 3 of 4, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never got to really use CF cards yet but its got me interested. Im all Hard drives and floppies still, I think its very nice that you make these kind of tests and post the results here. Creates and archive references.

Its one of the things i like with Vogons 😀

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They work very well and used a 32GB card in my iBook G3 for the past year and a half. Performance drops are you fill it up so free space is indeed your friend. Also there is one thing that people forget CF cards don't write to the same bit twice like modern SSDs. Depending on the class spec of the card they can reach higher speeds than what UDMA66 can support. Might move my spare 32gb card to my ss7 rig.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.