VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did anyone use an IDT WinChip or Rise mP6 CPU in their regular use computer back when these were sold new? Or did you buy a new computer which contained one of these processors? I'd be interested to know what your impressions were with these chips and what you primarily used the computer for. They were such uncommon chips that I think it would be interesting to keep a catalog here of people's experiences with them.

Some scans from my CPU collection...

Attachments

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 22, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My friend had a pc with a winchip. We were young and it was a cheap pc his parents purchased.

I remember trying to play mechwarrior 3 or 4 (don't remember which version) and it had real issues, far too slow.

I don't remember much more than that.

Edit: I actually purchased one on eBay a few months back, same as the top chip a winchip 200.

I think my friend had a 233

Reply 3 of 22, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm afraid I won't be able to go into too much technical detail, but.. Best Buy had these for sale back in 1998. I got my hands on a Pentium 133 Compaq and purchased and installed a WinChip 200 in it. I used it along with a SB PCI128 and Voodoo 2, very briefly. It was completely underwhelming at the time. I remember trying Hexen II first and being disappointed, since a buddy of mine was rocking a P2-300 and I'd already seen the game running smoother. I decided to sell the WinChip system and build a P2 system later that year. 😉

The WinChip was probably a good chip for breathing a little more life into an old system, but at the time it was already outclassed by the P2..

Reply 5 of 22, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I was in the first grade, our school purchased a winchip 200 system for admin computer in a computer class filled with pentiums/486. It lived a long life and I got my hands on it 14 years later when I visited my old IT teacher, who was getting rid of his junk. He said: "They mention 200Mhz... Don't beleive this number 😁"

Reply 6 of 22, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never owned a Winchip or Rise, but I remember them as being very slow compared to what was on the market at the time. They were always considered low-end solutions.

What's pretty interesting is that there was an unreleased Rise MP6 II that had on die L2 cache like the AMD K6-2+ chips. A few of the samples leaked out though...

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 22, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Winchip was mainly an upgrade chip for early Pentiums. It was a good way to extend the life of a Pentium 75 or 90 system but couldn't compare to a real Pentium 200MMX. It was also used in internet appliances and would have been a good laptop chip with it's lower heat output and power consumption. I can't think of any laptops that used it, though.

Reply 8 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find that an IDT WinChip2 at 262 MHz (3.5x75) has the same Quake 1 and Quake 2 frame rates as a Intel Pentium 233 MMX. The WinChip 2 has 3DNow! instructions built-in.

On the other hand, the original WinChip 200 was pretty crummy as others have noted. In Quake 1, it scored at about a Pentium 100, and was similar to a Pentium 120 in Quake 2.

These are software mode references, but scale similarly for OpenGL Quake. For example, the WinChip 200 was between a P120 and P133 for Quake2 OpenGL.

Interestingly, my WinChip2 W2A, which is rated at 233 MHz (2.33x100), ran fine at 262 MHz, but not at 266 MHz, so I was running it pretty close to its design limits. Note that "ran fine" = passed 3 hours of DOS and Windows benchmarks.

Reply 10 of 22, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

does anyone have a nexgen cpu I would be interested to see how it performed

Wasn't this the company that AMD purchased so they could build their Athlon around ?

I remember seeing these CPU's but never really wanted to get one myself.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 11 of 22, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Netpliance iOpener initially shipped with the WinChip, and later switched to the Rise mp6 around June-July of 2000. Performance was abysmal since the machine lacked any L2 cache.

Reply 13 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

The Netpliance iOpener initially shipped with the WinChip, and later switched to the Rise mp6 around June-July of 2000. Performance was abysmal since the machine lacked any L2 cache.

Did you buy the Rise mP6 new or used? If new, what country did you purchase it in?

Reply 14 of 22, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The iOpener was only sold in the USA. It was a $99 internet appliance sold at a loss that many repurposed into a PC, which eventually killed the company. My unit came with the Winchip, but units that I hacked into full PCs for people had the Rise MP6 in them.

Reply 15 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

As far as I know, the Rise mp6 was only sold in Asia so there probably won't be too many people here who remember using one back then.

feipoa wrote:

Did you buy the Rise mP6 new or used? If new, what country did you purchase it in?

Did you buy the Rise mP6 retail in the USA, second-hand in the USA, or on eBay? If you bought the mP6 CPU retail in the USA, what store did you buy it from? Sliderider was under the impression that they were only sold in Asia. What frequency did you run it at?

Reply 16 of 22, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TL:DR Version of story ;

I tried to overclock an IDT winchip (Vaguely remember it was around 300 mhz or so) but I totally screwed up the jumper settings and the engineer across the road couldn't get it going. Anyway - we took it back to the store (Dick smith) and the sent it under warranty and replaced it with a K6-2+ 450 Machine. Ran that at 500Mhz or so using an 60mm panaflo bolted on with a big fence nail.

Much better machine.

Reply 17 of 22, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BigBodZod wrote:
Davros wrote:

does anyone have a nexgen cpu I would be interested to see how it performed

Wasn't this the company that AMD purchased so they could build their Athlon around ?

That was the K6, not the Athlon. (after suffering problems with scaling up the K5 design)

IIRC, the Athlon drew on some of the K6's design elements, but wasn't a direct evolution of the microarchitecture (ie not like P54=>P55, PPro=>PII=>Celeron=>PIII, 6x86=>MII, etc). AMD probably made significant use of the engineering staff gained from the merger though.

Reply 18 of 22, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
sliderider wrote:

As far as I know, the Rise mp6 was only sold in Asia so there probably won't be too many people here who remember using one back then.

feipoa wrote:

Did you buy the Rise mP6 retail in the USA, second-hand in the USA, or on eBay? If you bought the mP6 CPU retail in the USA, what store did you buy it from? Sliderider was under the impression that they were only sold in Asia. What frequency did you run it at?

I never heard anything about them using the MP6 until reading it here and looked it up and it appears they did use them in late production units. There's probably not a lot of them out there, though. The hacked one I have has the Winchip and so does every other one I have ever seen or heard about and the MP6 chip wasn't on the market for very long, either..

Reply 19 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For those who are interested, the fastest reliable speed I could get a Rise mP6-266 was 208 MHz (83x2.5). It is rated at 200 MHz. While I can get a Speedsys screenshot at 233 MHz, at that frequency, it wouldn't even boot into Windows. I also tried 225 MHz, but it was unreliable. Note that at 208 MHz, heatsink compound was required.

The fastest reliable speed I could get a Winchip2 was 262 MHz (75x3.5). 266 MHz appears to work initially, but it is not stable under consistent loading. Had I used heatsink compound, maybe I could have gotten 266 MHz stable... trying this now actually. If it is stable, I'm going for 277 (3.33x83) and 292 (3.5x83). Nope, not stable. Heatsink compound didn't even buy us 4 more MHz.