VOGONS

Your Best PC Dumpster Finds

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 1st voodoo 5 5500 was a dumpster find. It was dusty and muddy (quite literally) all over, but I said to myself: hell, even if it doesnt work, I will still keep it and treasure it. I washed it with alcohol, greased the coolers and cleaned the contacts - plugged it in and crossed my fingers. It worked! And it still works 😀 Almost 10 years of mileage now!

I also found a couple of S3 Virges and one matrox mystique. Out of those, only one S3 virge was really dead. The other 2 cards were just fine.

Reply 21 of 31, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:

My 1st voodoo 5 5500 was a dumpster find. It was dusty and muddy (quite literally) all over, but I said to myself: hell, even if it doesnt work, I will still keep it and treasure it. I washed it with alcohol, greased the coolers and cleaned the contacts - plugged it in and crossed my fingers. It worked! And it still works 😀 Almost 10 years of mileage now!

I also found a couple of S3 Virges and one matrox mystique. Out of those, only one S3 virge was really dead. The other 2 cards were just fine.

I wish I was as lucky with dumpster finds as you guys. Who would ever throw out a Voodoo5 5500? Insane 🤣.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 23 of 31, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:

The day you find a Voodoo 5 in the trash is a good day 🤣

Heh. That or an IBM Z-Pro 6866. 😁

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 24 of 31, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once picked a 42 inch Zenith Plasma TV. It only needed two new caps and Z module. The module was the reason why I never fixed it. Think of a giant mcm style mosfet that the package was larger than a iPhone. The cooler was bigger than an a Quantum Bigfoot.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 26 of 31, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my only "dumpster find" was an 8.5" floppy drive sitting in a pile of junk in the shop when I was in high school..... asked the shop teacher if I could take it and 2 boxes of the floppies.... floppy drive was already way dead... the PCB got smashed up! 🙁

that bitch was heavy... was the longest bike ride home EVAR

Reply 31 of 31, by Kyodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My best one was a complete midi tower with CD Writer and ZIP drive. Has a VIA C7 processor and came complete with HDD. I only had to reset the BIOS and it was instantly working flawlessly. I guess the previous owner just bought a new one and put this one on the dumpster.