VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok guys, we know that late agp boards support only 1.5v/0.8v so it would be damaged if you attempt to plug an agp2x card which requires 3.3v into it(should not really happen as they won't fit in slot). we also know that agp4x cards support 1.5v voltage so it should not really be a problem if all cards are made according to the standards.

the problem is: some early agp4x cards seem to have design flaws and can't really run in agp4x mode. what i know for example are early revisions of tnt2ultra and g400max cards, their gpus do support agp4x mode but the cards are designed to run on agp2x mode only. i can't help worrying if they would also violate the voltage slot rules, as my asrock pt880 board is pretty rare, and i don't want to bother finding another one in case it could be destroyed.

Reply 1 of 2, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suggest that you play it safe by only using those early cards in machines that support 3.3v cards. It isn't worth losing both the card and the board by rolling the dice. You could make it work by either modding the card or the board to where power from the slot isn't being passed onto the card but instead a wire mod from the 3.3v on the psu is going directly to the card. Some back in the BX era had to do this due to some boards having a weak power vrm for the agp slot that limited power consumption for the card.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suggest going to the MURC forum and searching on G400's AGP 4x quirks. AFAIR there are revisions with full 4x support. There was a lot of discussion of this back then of course.