VOGONS

introducing my quake3 benchmark demo

Topic actions

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you think quake3 is an old game released 13 years ago so its too fast for computer benchmarking today? i guess this demo would prove you wrong.
its recorded on the infamous "nv15" map which was a cpu killer, and i made this because the original nv15demo would not play on newest version of quake3 (v1.32).

my computer, which runs superpi in 15.6 seconds, scores only 101fps on this demo, and lowering screen resolution doesn't help. i am curious to know how fast your retro rigs would run it if you have quake3 installed.

you need the "nv15" map to play this demo, which can be downloaded here(original nv15demo is included, would probably play on v1.17):
http://alt.3dcenter.org/downloads/quake3-nv15.php

Attachments

• Filename
    fake_nv15demo.rar
    File size
    654.76 KiB
    Downloads
    321 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is your computer. I'm not familiar with super pi.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What exactly do you want to focus here on benchmarking?
CPU dependence of this benchmark, NV15 TnL vs non TnL card?
What do you expect to see?

I am not so familiar with Q3, so can you give some guide, how to benchmark the original nv15demo?
(cmdline, resolution, graphical feature settings a.s.o.)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 29, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:
What exactly do you want to focus here on benchmarking? CPU dependence of this benchmark, NV15 TnL vs non TnL card? What do you […]
Show full quote

What exactly do you want to focus here on benchmarking?
CPU dependence of this benchmark, NV15 TnL vs non TnL card?
What do you expect to see?

I am not so familiar with Q3, so can you give some guide, how to benchmark the original nv15demo?
(cmdline, resolution, graphical feature settings a.s.o.)

i would say this demo is very hard on both cpu and video card, although on most of today's rigs it would be limited by cpu.

even on a rig where video card is the bottleneck (pentium E5200 + radeon256), its fps is 1/4 of quake3's build-in demo "four.dm68", at 1024*768*32 mode.

how to run the demo:
1.put nv15.pak (map) in quake3\baseq3, demo files in quake3\baseq3\demos
2.run quake3, type in console:
s_initsound 0
snd_restart
timedemo 1
this turns sounds off, and enables benchmark mode
3.choose "demos" in main menu, choose a demo and play.
you can also see your quake3's version on the background of the console.

graphics setting is at your preference, although i would commend simply using quake3's "high quality" profile, and enable all options in "game options" menu except "simple items", "synch every frame" and "force player model".

Reply 5 of 29, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

345.6 fps, 2304x1440, 32bit textures and color depth, geometry and textures high with a 2600k@ 5ghz @ several 680s 🤣

this is a bit out of my expectation, because quake3 doesn't support multi-core well, and i don't think a 2600k@5ghz's single core performance would be 3.4 times fast as my rig.
and i don't remember quake3's renderer supporting such a resolution, can you post a screenshot of that?

Reply 6 of 29, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

r_customwidth 2304
r_customheight 1440
r_mode -1
\vid_restart:

http://i.imgur.com/VgJU4.jpg

if you have an amd card remember that they are bad at opengl

what cpu do you have? sandy bridge has excellent single cpu performance. For example, winrar scores 1.600 points if I run the built-in benchmark in single thread mode

Last edited by subhuman@xgtx on 2012-07-28, 13:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 29, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah i got it, and you have a quake3 version of 1.11. 😒

the original nv15demo is not as slow as my faked one, i guess my rig would get ~150 fps on it if i can play it, so your rig is about 2.3 times as fast as mine, which seems more reasonable.

Reply 9 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

9.7 fps at 800x600 32 Bit, Q3 1.11 with Rage128GL / Athlon 500
I followed your guide, but it shows only NV15DEMO to choose in addition, so I ran this.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 10 of 29, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as i said, i have it updated to the newest v1.32.
demos from old versions have .dm3 extension, but newer versions use .dm_66 or .dm_68 extensions, and are incompatible with each other.

Reply 12 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I updated to 1.32 and ran the fake demo.
Well, I get at default settings 7.1 fps
with r_primitives 1 7.1 fps
and r_primitives 2 6.0 fps

Youtube Channel

Reply 14 of 29, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, 194,5 fps. 2304x1440 maxed out 😜

edit: add 10 fps more to my result, I forgot to put s_initsouind 0 and snd_restart

Reply 15 of 29, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

well, 194,5 fps. 2304x1440 maxed out 😜

edit: add 10 fps more to my result, I forgot to put s_initsouind 0 and snd_restart

thats well within my estimation 🤣

Reply 16 of 29, by [GPUT]Carsten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember nv15 from back when it was new. If memory serves, it made excessive - well, for the time - use of cube (environment) mapping, which on older graphics systems and as well in the old OpenGL version Quake 3 uses, needs six times scene setup from the CPU, from which half or more are culled before drawing since the nv15 map used cube mapping only on relatively flat surfaces. I guess this explains the extraordinary high CPU load that this map still generates.

On my main rig (C2D E8500 @3,8 & HD 7970), I am getting about 135 fps almost regardless of graphics settings.

Reply 18 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're supposed to timedemo while you are in the menu first.

Also Quake3 didn't use cubemapping - its environment mapping is entirely software calculated, so there's quite a bit of cpu stress from that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem