My P3 machine...

Windows 98 SE, 4.43 VIA drivers, ver. 45.23 of the nVidia drivers
ep-3vca MB with the latest bios
1Ghz Pentium 3
512mb RAM
Geforce2 Ultra
Voodoo2 12mb SLI
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

...has been misbehaving. First game I tried after re-installing Windows 98 was system shock. It was crashing when switching b/w the CD check / loading screen and the menu. I tried the Voodoo's and the Geforce, same result. Re-installed the game, it worked until next re-boot, then no-workie again.

Then I tried Aliens vs Predator 2 with the Geforce selected- hang on loading screen unless the audio and music were turned off. Suspected the sound blaster, but now don't think it's the problem.

Moved on to Max Payne, also using the Geforce - hang at loading screen.

I've always been suspicious of multi 3d card setups so I whipped the Voodoo's out and Max Payne now loads first time every time.

Is there a known problem with my 3D card setup? Should I be sticking to one or the other?

Reply 3 of 8, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reinstall your Voodoo^2 cards, go to control panel -> System -> Device manager, and check if you have a hardware conflict (i.e., if Voodoo^2, GeForce, or whatever, is sharing a memory address range with any other device). What's the wattage of your PSU, by the way? Also, did you mean System Shock or SS2?

Reply 4 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the replies.

@rafink, thanks but I'm a bit of a nervous nelly about beta patches

@shspvr, good thinking I'll see if I can disable DX in the Voodoo2 driver software. I'd only ever want it for glide anyway.

@ batracio, another good tip. I didn't think of a hardware conflict because they all do actually work together in a flakey kinda way. I was thinking software. Will check that.

I can't remember the wattage off the top of my head but it's a very fancy Lian Li case so I'm confident it's up to the job. And yes I did mean SS2!

Thanks again. BTW I tried Aliens vs Predator 2 last night after removing the Voodoo's and it also worked perfectly. So they are def. to blame.

Rob.

Reply 5 of 8, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

thanks but I'm a bit of a nervous nelly about beta patchesRob.

Install an drive imaging app like Acronis [8 works well in W9x] and make an OS image before testing new drivers. If it all goes to pot you can restore C:\ in a matter of minutes, assuming you keep all your games/data/mirror backups on another partition... ie keep C:\ lean and mean. Takes all the nervous nelly out of it...

Reply 6 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shspvr wrote:

1 option is have try disabling DirectX on Voodoo2?.

Umm, how would I do that?? I've had a look in the options screen for the driver I'm using (FastVoodoo2) and it doesn't have an option to disable Direct3D.

Should I be using different drivers?

Reply 8 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

Umm, how would I do that?? I've had a look in the options screen for the driver I'm using (FastVoodoo2) and it doesn't have an option to disable Direct3D.

Like he said, 3D Control Center will do it.