VOGONS

Reply 20 of 35, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2023-11-03, 22:52:

Bump! Looks like now it's really gone...

I have noticed that about a month ago.

At least archived versions can be accessed thru Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20230823172523/ht … r.hu/DOS_TESTS/

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 21 of 35, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gona's website still works fine from the EU.

Possibly some US provider issue?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 23 of 35, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My provider said that their servers were getting too many attacks from China, so he blocked all of China. He may have added other countries to the blacklist too. I don't think this is a good solution, but I get the hosting and service for free, so I can't really interfere/complain about this. But I can make a copy, a 2nd site.
Am386DX-40 could you recomnend a free website for 2nd copy?
Or contact me in private, and might your IP range could be on a white list.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 25 of 35, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2023-11-04, 17:31:
My provider said that their servers were getting too many attacks from China, so he blocked all of China. He may have added oth […]
Show full quote

My provider said that their servers were getting too many attacks from China, so he blocked all of China. He may have added other countries to the blacklist too. I don't think this is a good solution, but I get the hosting and service for free, so I can't really interfere/complain about this. But I can make a copy, a 2nd site.
Am386DX-40 could you recomnend a free website for 2nd copy?
Or contact me in private, and might your IP range could be on a white list.

Oh I have no idea, maybe migrating to a spreadsheet in google docs?

I'm in Argentina, my current IP address is 181.166.xxx.xxx (but it changes from time to time)

Reply 27 of 35, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gona wrote on 2023-11-12, 07:33:

Now should be OK from there too. My provider has removed that blocking.

Thanks! I (in Latin America) can now access the website just fine.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 28 of 35, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a test, I set up a ChatGPT interface to the data: xxxx. You need the paid ChatGPT subscription to use it.

To answer questions the bot has access to the chart's data harvested around 2019, and has been told to stick to the facts as much as it reasonably can. It can do some numerical analysis as well etc., but I don't know how people would typically use the data so I haven't tested it much. Give it a go and see whether it can do something interesting.

For example:

You: Are 3dfx or s3 cards better for DOS compatibility?

Video chip DOS compatibility chat:

Based on the DOS compatibility test results from my knowledge source, both 3dfx and S3 video cards show varied results in terms of DOS compatibility. Here's a summary of the average compatibility scores for these brands (higher percentages indicate better compatibility):

3Dfx Cards:
- Voodoo Banshee: 87.5%
- Voodoo3: 87.5%
- Voodoo4 4500 PCI: 89.02%
- Voodoo5 5500 AGP: 89.39%

S3 Cards:
- The scores for S3 cards range from as low as 31.82% (Savage/IX) to as high as 95.83% (ViRGE/GX).
- Notably, several S3 cards like Trio64V+, Trio64UV+, ViRGE/GX, and Savage4 Xtreme show high compatibility scores above 90%.

In general, S3 cards exhibit a wider range of compatibility scores, with some models achieving higher scores than 3dfx cards. However, 3dfx cards consistently show good compatibility, with scores mostly above 87%.

It's important to note that specific model performance can vary, and these scores are averages of the tests conducted on each model.​
Last edited by vvbee on 2023-11-23, 05:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 35, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vvbee wrote on 2023-11-13, 08:51:
[…]
Show full quote
Here's a summary of the average compatibility scores for these brands (higher percentages indicate better compatibility):

3Dfx Cards:
- Voodoo Banshee: 87.5%
- Voodoo3: 87.5%
- Voodoo4 4500 PCI: 89.02%
- Voodoo5 5500 AGP: 89.39%

My table is not really suitable for evaluating the compatibility results as a percentage, so these are false percentage results, since I bring particularly difficult and problematic cases only in my table. For example both 3Dfx (Banshee or later) and S3 Trio/Virge family average compatibility scores are more than 99%. This is a big problem, very misleading % results.
The statement would be true like this:

Here's a summary of these brands' compatibility scores tested on more problematic games (higher percentages indicate better compatibility):

Furthermore a minor problem but also could be interesting what value are given to colors. For example green "OK" vould be 100% of the value and red are 0%, this clear, value but there are 5 other colors in the table and white also, and white are a big "range": depends by it's BIOS, or even "1MB memory not enough", or simply "not tested".

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 30 of 35, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much any benchmark or test would be an incomplete sampling of a domain, so as you say it comes down to expressing the uncertainty in some way. If the tests are with problematic software then they all have that in common and it's a problem of wording still. It should be fairly easy to tweak the way the bot words things, as far as my limited understanding goes. Since the bot is able to run analysis on the data, I assume as a user you could ask it to massage or skew it in some way too.

In the data the bot was fed the scores go linearly from 100%/green to 0%/red in seven bins, white is ignored.

Reply 31 of 35, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some examples of visualizing the data (looks plausible, but I didn't verify by hand):

graph1.jpg
Filename
graph1.jpg
File size
26.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
graph2.jpg
Filename
graph2.jpg
File size
257.11 KiB
Views
File license

The bot seems to do worse when what you're asking requires information from other sources (the original data doesn't list release dates):

nope.jpg
Filename
nope.jpg
File size
117.6 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 33 of 35, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-11-14, 15:10:

I never had issues in loading dos on any GPU , is this exclusevly for gaming(chart?)

None of the video cards are 100% compatible with all DOS games as some people think when it comes to VESA support, tweaked EGA/VGA modes and scrolling. If that was the case, then Gona's list wouldn't exist.

Reply 34 of 35, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a heads up, I set up the bot as a feature test and to see if people do something interesting with it. I don't plan to keep it around as a service, and as a test it's already served its purpose. Don't rely on it being available tomorrow or a week from now or whatever, if you plan on setting one up yourself then now's the time to take notes.

Reply 35 of 35, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some more use cases of the bot. As an abstraction layer/UI I think it's pretty good. Not perfect and knowing the dataset to begin with helps, but one could build a workable frontend this way.

Extract specific data as a CSV file. (If you're making your own bot, better give it instructions about case insensitive string matching.)

csv.png
Filename
csv.png
File size
82.28 KiB
Views
File license

Find the most compatible resolution of Quake.

quake-res.png
Filename
quake-res.png
File size
109.22 KiB
Views
File license

Find the best card for a specific selection of games.

criteria.png
Filename
criteria.png
File size
137.99 KiB
Views
File license

Let the bot come up with some numbers on its own.

generic-analysis.png
Filename
generic-analysis.png
File size
127.06 KiB
Views
File license