VOGONS

First post, by chii_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a bunch of GX110's:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems … ns/ug/specs.htm

They all have 3 slot PCI riser cards, but I want to replace it with a riser card that has at least one ISA slot for my soundcards!

Are the dell riser cards interchangeable between different models? All of the GX110 boards on ebay right now that have ISA are too big (for the tower models, I have the low-profile chassis models).

If I got a riser board that was the right physical size for my computer would it work, or do I specifically need to find a GX110 PCI/ISA riser board?

e: looks like they're not interchangable between models, but what about getting a tower sized riser card and using it in the low-profile GX110 with the top off?

Reply 1 of 6, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if it fits in the slot, and the slots on the card line up with the case, try it and see whaT happens. only 1 way to find out.

yes it should work between models, but i would avoid cutting it...

Insert creative signature here.

Reply 2 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the GX110 riser boards are electrically compatible (as all GX110 systems use the same motherboard), so yes, you could technically use a tower riser with a desktop case.

However, a less ghetto option might be to get a GX1 motherboard and low-profile riser, and just convert one of your GX110s into a GX1... they use the same case, so everything would be a drop-in fit.

Reply 3 of 6, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the low profile riser cards dont have ISA, which is what he wants. if he had the low profile riser with ISA he would have put it in, 🤣.

Insert creative signature here.

Reply 4 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am aware that the GX110 low profile riser boards do not have ISA. Which is precisely why I suggested getting a GX1 motherboard and the low profile GX1 riser board to go with it. Notice anything different about that one, like, for example, the fact that it has ISA slots?

Reply 6 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were three main chassis configurations on those machines... the tower, a 'tall' desktop (5 slot) and a low-profile desktop (3-slot). Not all models were available in all configurations, but most of them were. There were also some SFF versions, which were even smaller than the low-profile desktop, but those varied a bit more between models.

But SFF machines aside, the cases were pretty standardized... like, the internals from a GN+ low-profile desktop will fit into a GX200 low-profile case. Basically, all the cases that look the same, are the same, except for the little badge on the front.

The risers, however, are a bit trickier. They were specific to pretty small ranges of models. I can't remember what the GN+ riser looks like... it's possible it might fit a GX1 motherboard, but it would be unwise to assume that it would. And it definitely won't work with a GX110 motherboard. Fortunately, Dell at least had the foresight to make it so that a riser would not physically fit into an incompatible board.... and likewise, if a riser will physically plug into a motherboard, that's a pretty good indication that it's compatible.