VOGONS

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm playing Unreal (plain original disc, with v226) with Glide on Win98 here. Monitor's an Eizo L365@75Hz with the appropriate refresh rate set in Unreal. It runs great frame-wise, but the mouse movement feels just wrong, just as if VSync would be on. I have DisableVSync on True and it's also off by default in the 3dfx driver control, so I kinda don't know where the problem is... Vsync really seems to be off since minor/normal screen tearing can be seen.

Interestingly, the other games I tested so far, UT and Q2, don't have this problem, the mouse movement doesn't lag at all there. Mouse sensitivity should not be the problem since it's set to the same value in both games, mouse smoothing likewise. I figured it might be related to Unreal not having an option for DirectInput, but can't say for sure... Has someone had that problem as well?

Reply 3 of 8, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to be a avid UT2004 player and if I do decide to play nowadays, I bring my 22" Diamondtron out of the garage. I can't play with my current LCD, it it really unplayable for me. It's just not the input lag, but the slow nature of LCD's compared to CRT's.

Reply 5 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got Unreal Gold now, but the problem is still present there. Although there is an option to turn on DirectInput it doesn't do anything and there is no ini entry of it to be found either... Guess Unreal is supposed to be played with shitty mouse movement then 😒 The oldunreal community patch may have a fix for this, but I'm always reluctant to use fanmade patches if it's not totally necessary, as they tend to bastardize the original game with stupid changes.

Reply 6 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just installed Unreal on this. It was downloaded as a pre-installed game with a *.reg file that fixes the registry. The mouse worked shitty at first, but then I set it to work with Glide, 640x480, textures all Medium. Now mouse works very nice, even nicer than I thought it would.

Do you have another hard drive to install the game on a clean system and try it there?

Reply 7 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope... don't really get what you mean by pre-installed though. Maybe the mouse was so laggy with software rendering on your 266MMX that now with Glide it feels awesome in comparison (which it should anyway)? 🤣

I'd find it interesting if some of the folks that have both games could test if the mouse movement in Unreal feels just slightly more delayed than in UT. For me it seems that it depends on the game anyway. In the Q2 demo for example the mouse movement is lagless for me, but slightly more "imprecise" than in UT, Q3 and the like.