VOGONS

First post, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

Please help me get this 486 to work. It was a rare find in my area. It looks so clean too. I've even got the proprietary SRAM Cache module (Original)

I think it might be a jumper problem. I'm happy to place any 486 cpu in ranging from 25MHZ to 133 Mhz - Typically i'd like to put a DX2-66 and around 32mb ram (Which I have) and run Dos on it.

It powers on, the Red motherboard light goes but it doesn't do much more than that. I tried looking online with jumper settings and found a few hits - tried altering accordingly. No avail. Power supply seems good. BIOS and all chips appear firmly seated. Doesn't appear to be any leakage.

Photos attached of various chips etc from my photobucket account.

Please note - hopefully once this is working, I have one more system to revive from dead that does have a bit of leakage and perhaps more discussion about cleaning certain items 😀

http://photobucket.com/EpicVogons

Just keep clicking next to go through all 18 photos for reference photos. They have not been edited, and were taken with my phone in fairly low light in my garage. Apologies, it's certainly not a model photoshoot unfortunately.....

I just love how it is so compact.... I don't want to discard of this box. Surely it's something minor......[/b]

Reply 1 of 9, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The pc speaker is connected?
does it beep at you sometimes?

What happens if you remove everything and start the computer with only CPU, minimum amount of RAM and cache?

Im not as knowledgeable as many here but those are the immediate things i can think of. Good luck.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 2 of 9, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Post removed. Apologies. It posted twice after my edit.

Last edited by epicbrad on 2012-08-06, 05:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[quote="epicbrad"]max war I will most certainly give it another crack. I've never removed cache before from a motherboard itself but lucky this was the external type on a memory module. I removed all ide ports all hardware except bare minimum. I seem to believe it is incorrect motherboard settings or incompatible ram modules... I've tried both vlbus vga cards and on board. nil. I still have hope. I will try to find the jp settings on the board for some help... sure I can read but this one has me stumped and I've revived a few boards in the past...

max war thanks for the response -
from my phone

edit! motherboard settings please copy and paste webpages.charter.net/dperr/micronics/mpower3.htm

Reply 4 of 9, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On photo 10 i think i see some damage on the pcb , around the area the battery used to be .
I also think i see some blue-green corrosion on the CHIPS chip .

It could be dirt but if the board is damaged you're in trouble .

Reply 5 of 9, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
memsys wrote:

On photo 10 i think i see some damage on the pcb , around the area the battery used to be .
I also think i see some blue-green corrosion on the CHIPS chip .

It could be dirt but if the board is damaged you're in trouble .

I have to second memsys here, it looks kind of dubious on this picture. In any case its definitely dirty and you might want to clean it with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol just to make sure.

I have had boards damaged by corrosion before and when this happens its not good. You might want to check it up close for broken traces with a multimeter.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 6 of 9, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know what guys?

I just pulled the board out did a complete dissasembly as I just had enough.

You were right I saw the green crap around the PC chips and other sections of the board. In fact whilst this was happening I pulled another dead board out of another flip top case (from 1987! holy moly!) which is a non zif socket early 486 board (Had a 25Mhz SX in there and 30P ram with an badly leaked battery. It's a unichip board)

anyway back to this one

Yeah, they are both in my laundry sink right now with a hot water mix and lots of metho. I used a toothbrush to do an initial scrub. The Riser card for the contacts on the osborne system were green in sections and had a soapy apperance within the contacts. After I pulled the board out it appears someone used a black glue type substance to secure the board in the center blocking several electrical contacts. Holy moly! No wonder the board powers up and doesn't do much bar that. I think there should be an EXT batt option somewhere or I'll just pay an electronics guy to do it. Eventually I need to invest in a rom programmer and Soldering equipment but I don't have the patience for that 😀

So after that - I'm going one step further, they are both going in my dishwasher with some oxy action - and I will hairdry them, towel them off and then air dry them somewhere nice and warm. Then I will stick them on my clothes hoist under one of my central heating vents.

I will post back with results. I thought about doing the PSU being not so common LPX but figured it's working so I won't mess with it.

I tried all correct bios settings with a DX2-66 no go.

WISH ME LUCK! 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After I pulled the board out it appears someone used a black glue type substance to secure the board in the center blocking several electrical contacts.

Um, if I'm understanding the description correctly, that may have actually been a rubber bumper at one point. It was pretty common practice to use a couple to give the board extra support under areas that would get a lot of stress from inserting cards and such. But they didn't always use the best quality rubber, and after 20 years those things can have a tendency to degrade into a rather horrifying goo.

Reply 9 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was our 1st PC! (well the DX2 66 variant) still sitting in the garage back home. It was the sole PC till I got my very own P2 400 in 98, even then the osborne was more reliable But enough going down memory lane.

Mine has a Mpower4 board which seems much the same just accepts newer processors (just change the 3 with a 4 in your link)
I did upgrade the Ram in the late 90's but it was very selective on what it would accept.
Wouldn’t accept EDO
Doesn’t recognise 8MB Simms.
Think it had to be Parity (but not 100% sure on this)
Pretty sure it had to be in pairs

I remember this because of all the “fun” I had driving back and forth from computer fairs as often my newly purchased 2nd hand simms were rejected by the system.