VOGONS

First post, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! First time poster here. Been reading the forum for a few months though, as I've been restoring my old K6-2 from the late 90s. I figured someone here might help me with this.

This weekend I picked up two brand new Samsung SFD-500P floppy drives (here are some pictures, not taken by me but they are exactly the same model). I can't get them to work. Thing is, when I plug any of them I get a sound like it's accessing the drive, and immediatly after that a drive error message (in DOS). I have another old and rusty drive that works, so I've discarded that it's a cable issue. I've discarded also that the error comes from the floppies I tried, because in the other drive they work; and what's interesting is that they prevent the 3.5 drive from working too (it makes the same sound and error).

Some things I tried

* I assume they are high density, but just in case I tried setting them in the BIOS as 360k, to no avail.

* If I plug them alone (without the 3.5 drive), the same thing happens.

* I've tried changing the DS jumpers, but it seems that the system can only reach the drive with them set to 1.

What's strange is that they're both new and they both do the same thing, whereas my other old drive just works. Is there something more I can try before giving up on them?

Reply 1 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

check the DSx jumpers.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 7, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I did, I tried all four positions (0, 1, 2 and 3) and they only seem to respond to the system (but with the error message) when I set them to 1, like they originally came. Is this what you're talking about?

Reply 3 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, because different systems require different settings there. But does the spindle drive and stepper motor even start?
Maybe one is stuck and needs a careful push for a start after a long storage?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 4 of 7, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They both make a sound and the leds light up as they are trying to read the disk, but immediately I get the error. I don't think it's a physical issue since the 3.5 drive does the same thing when either 5.25 drive is present (it works fine, even with the same cable, if it's on its own).

It's such a pity! They look pristine 🙁

Reply 5 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And the connection is correct?
Controller on the long end.
Drive B: usually 5.25" in the middle, no wire rotation between controller and drive B: connector.
Drive A: usually 3.5" at the end with wire rotation between controller/drive b: and drive A: connector.

Youtube Channel

Reply 6 of 7, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, they are connected exactly like that. If I swap any of the new 5.25 drives for the old one (a TEAC), this one and the 3.5 one will work, so a connection issue is unlikely.

Edit: There are two more sets of jumpers, though they can only be removed and not set in a different position. Maybe they are interfering with something?

Attachments

• Jumpers.PNG
    Filename
    Jumpers.PNG
    File size
    322.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 7, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If anyone is interested or having the same problem: I think it might be the motherboard. Now all of the sudden I can't get the 3.5" drive to respond either. It's a SOYO 5EHM 1.0, I'll check if I accidentaly moved a dip switch or something like that.

As for the 5.25" drives, I'll put together another system with all the scrap parts I have to test them.