VOGONS

Quake 3 vs Unreal Tournament

Topic actions

First post, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys, i'm just wondering:which one is better/more retro?
I'm asking this because both games seem pretty similar in gameplay 🤣

BTW:Explain why 😀

2611708.png

Reply 1 of 62, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More retro? Technically Quake 3 is a bit more advanced. Gameplay wise I prefer Quake III - it feels faster, but UT is also a great game - I've beaten both multiple times.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 62, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both have their little specifics that polarize fans. I started with UT, played it to death on great lan parties, but after some time it was literally giving me headaches. Colors and sounds of Q3 may feel awkward in the beginning but it was just right for me. Thrills of TDM clan wars were immense. I am playing till now in the form of Quake Live. Gameplay has such rhythms it feels like music and skills are so obvious from the screen it is imo more fun for observes too.

Reply 3 of 62, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to be a big fan of Quake 3, and I would often play it with my friends and occasionally even online, but after a while I got tired of how repetitive the gameplay was, and how difficult it was to perform all of the advanced movement techniques that I'd need to really compete online.

I had played UT a couple of times around that time, but I didn't really get into it until a while ago, when I discovered just how much variety there is to it (gameplay modes, weaponry, mods, maps, etc.), and how fast paced and enjoyable the gameplay was, without being too masochistically difficult like Quake was at times. Needless to say, I now much prefer UT, and in fact I actually play it online quite often! 😁

Reply 4 of 62, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I enjoy both games but prefer UT. As said, it has a lot of variety in its gameplay, plus I enjoy the colorful sci-fi / fantasy atmosphere the game has. I also heavily played Unreal multiplayer.

Reply 7 of 62, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most definitely UT'99 😀 I play them both, but I only really enjoy UT. Quake is only played if nothing else is available or there are some hardcore quakers that don't want to play UT.

UT: cleaner graphics, better sounds, awesome music, game modes for everyone from 7-77.
Q3: action, action, action

Reply 9 of 62, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

Most definitely UT'99 😀 I play them both, but I only really enjoy UT. Quake is only played if nothing else is available or there are some hardcore quakers that don't want to play UT.

UT: cleaner graphics, better sounds, awesome music, game modes for everyone from 7-77.
Q3: action, action, action

I have to agree, even though the Q3 engine is technically superior, the art style on UT is much more aesthetically pleasing. What's even better though, in my opinion is the original Unreal, just because of the breathtaking outdoor environments and the whole fantasy/scifi hybrid aesthetic it has that many FPSs don't.

Reply 10 of 62, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually prefer both, but UT is starting to feel a little stale, with the imperfect mouse control and the strange momentum cancelling from getting shot. I don't really play UT anymore, but UT2004 instead and I make addons for that still 😀

Q3A? 🤣...... I run this thing! I grew tired of Q3A's cyber gothic appearance too with the tacked on skulls and whatnot which is why my project heads in a different direction. And like UT, is also gaining hacked on PCX2 "support" and it also has some UT and UT2 gametypes [/plug] 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 62, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake 3A is alright but my extreme bias will always choose UT99. I'm more likely to choose Quake 1 over Q3 but probably cause I still haven't finished Q1. OK I've never finished UT99 either but but I don't like playing without weapon stay thats my excuse.

So you UT over Q3 and Unreal is completely awesome for single player 😀

Reply 12 of 62, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The funny thing is, I've beaten the singleplayer on Quake 3 at least two or three times (I think mostly on medium difficulty but w/e), but I could never beat Xan on Unreal Tournament. 🤣 This is quite strange because when it comes to playing online, I'm much better at UT (probably because it's more team-oriented and there's no trickjumping).

Reply 13 of 62, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

...but I could never beat Xan on Unreal Tournament.

😁

You obviously tried to play 'fair'. Forget playing fair, set the difficulty to 'godlike', grab rocket launcher and camp the tunnel where the shield spawns while constantly filling the rockets with right click and shooting randomly left and right down the tunnel, until you hear him go down.

...and that's, kids, how i met your... i mean how i finished UT99 😎

edit: I forgot to state one more important fact: UT has a much better AI then Q3. In Q3 bots are pretty much miserable up until the hardest difficulty. But on hardest they are insane.

UT has a really nice, scalable AI for each and every taste. If you are a FPS freak, godlike is ok - but if you are lets say, drunk, or your GF just came and wanna join the fun, the game will lower the difficulty for you 😀

Reply 14 of 62, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

During the Xaero fight on Q3, I think I was killed more by the stage's deathtraps than Xaero himself. 🤣 Xaero's sniping skills are still insane on the higher difficulties, but it's usually those damn jump pads and that crusher that do me in.

But yeah whenever I attempt to fight Xan I usually try to hog the shield belts and health pickups, while also keeping him away from the flak cannon. The RL on there is not my *best* weapon (I've always been more of a sniper rifle/translocator person myself), but I'm getting better with it and I may just attempt your strategy for beating Xan one of these days.

Reply 15 of 62, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day I seem to remember setting up Multiplayers with multiple Xaero bots on insane and kicking their collective asses. Q3 was my game. Then I'd go online and get wiped out by actual humans. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 62, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From a gameplay perspective I prefer Q3A. I like the movement and general flow of gameplay better than in UT.

From a pure retro perspective, I personally prefer UT, for the weird reason that it runs (slightly) better on a Pentium1 + Voodoo1 than Q3A does.

::42::

Reply 17 of 62, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To give it some perspective, Quake III was always considered by every major Computer Games Tournament establishment as the FPS, if not the THE GAME of choice for their main event, offering the biggest prize money and having the best gamers on earth compete.

Quake III has transitioned since 1999 into the online browser based game Quake Live, which is essentially the same game with slight gameplay changes to make it more friendly towards beginners (Quake III was from the beginning a very difficult game to start with - the level of play being pretty much infinitely skill capped).

If you want to play a good retro game for some laughs and get into the game straight away, and have a chance of maybe winning in week 1, then I recommend Unreal. It was fast paced, with a nice engine and easy to understand weapons with clean maps. Graphically better than Quake III in most respects.

If you want to play the best FPS ever made, I recommend Quake III (or Quake Live) but bear in mind in Multiplayer you may find it very frustrating to get to a level where you can compete and have fun. The matchmaking system works as well as it can, but it's not perfect, and you may find yourself dying repeatedly as soon as you respawn. It takes time to learn and gain the skills required to move and shoot around the map, but the real fun of Quake III, and the reason it still remains number 1 in the top pro gamers minds, comes when you no longer need to think about movement or shooting and just enjoy the gameplay. That takes 1-10 years, but it's so worth it 😉

Last edited by Iris030380 on 2012-08-10, 23:22. Edited 1 time in total.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 18 of 62, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh and Unreal Tournament 2003 is a far better game to play than the original Unreal Tournament. Although UT2k3 might not be considered as 'retro' and obviously needs much faster hardware. Essentially 3 years younger than the first game, but a lot more fun.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66