The "best" sound card for dos

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

I just finished recording the CT1600 ( SB pro 2 ) for the grand OPL3 comparison run. It is a good sounding card. Noise is very low and has clear sound and a particularly fat sounding bass. There is no way I can say its a bad card however i find it a bit lacking in brightness. Its kind of boomy and muffled compared to my current best sounding cards ( Rock16, first generation SBs and ATI stereo FX). Arguably you could EQ it and get away with both a great sound and great compatibility so no bit deal but my research goes on 🤣

I will update the GOPL3CR very soon if you want the CT1600 recordings.

The SB Pro2 has a low-pass filter enabled by default, IIRC. Turning that off might help, it's just an additional switch on the mixer command line. Can't remember it off the top of my head.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 41 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

The SB Pro2 has a low-pass filter enabled by default, IIRC. Turning that off might help, it's just an additional switch on the mixer command line. Can't remember it off the top of my head.

That is correct!

I made a post on VOGONS ages ago, but unable to find it.

So here is the post I made on QuestStudios.com:

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESS … 8a&topic=3241.0

This affects the digital part only though. I prefer unfiltered. It is very bright and you will hear all the detail (for good or for worse).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 42 of 44, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UltraSound (Classic) = Gravis GF1
UltraSound MAX = Gravis GF1 + Crystal CS4231 (slight WSS compatibility)
UltraSound ACE = Gravis GF1
UltraSound Plug & Play = AMD InterWave (slight GF1 compatibility)
UltraSound Plug & Play Pro = same as above plus 512kB of on-board RAM
UltraSound Extreme = Gravis GF1 + ESS ES1688F (good SBpro emulation)

More detailed on Wiki
and I have found the original product page of the Extreme.

I have original Gravis UltraSound drivers on my page
(based on the original driver page, but UltraSound Extreme drivers was never published on Gravis website, so I expanded the original very well):
http://gona.mactar.hu/GRAVIS/

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 43 of 44, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

maybe a bit OT but @Gona:
While I really appreciate that you setup a comprehensive page with original Gravis supplied drivers, it is still misleading as you do offer old versions of some tools and lack completely third party tools that I consider essential. Just to give one example, Kay Bruns EEPROM set utility for GUS PnP configuration is missing.
There were software disk updates distributed through BBS systems, like AIL, midpak, digpak, other game patches, MegaEM 3.11 (GUS classic) / 3.12 (GUS PnP) etc. , ProPats etc.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 44 of 44, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mostly I have only that drivers and tools what I have found on driver CD-s. I have not checked for last version for all tools. Maybe later I'm going to update the page but without game patches and third party tools. (Now I working on other project.) Maybe later some third party tools also.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix