VOGONS

Reply 40 of 52, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe this answers a few questions: http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_orchid_SoundWave32.html
I don't know about Gateway, most likely it depends on the location/country where you live.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 41 of 52, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Coming back to the earlier posts in this thread.

Can someone, who has a card with the Invision ROMS and access to an EEPROM reader/burner, dump the contents of those ROMS to confirm their size?
They are supposed to be 2x 1MB ROMS, but there seems to be some confusion.
I'm also not sure what the AWS (Algorithmic Wavetable Synthesis) ROM sound like and how this compares to the Invision ROMS.

Reply 42 of 52, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be interested in a comparison of the ROM dumps as well. Also, if different ROM's required different DSP firmware, how was the DSP firmware updated? Was there a flashing utility or is the firmware code also contained in a separate memory area of the ROM's?

Reply 43 of 52, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The firmware is loaded by the init tool from hdd to the card. By default it comes with a firmware for General Midi and another for MT32.
It is contained in the *.LD files here: ftp://retronn.de/driver/Orchid/soundwave32/wo … rchidROMs/SW32/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 44 of 52, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any chance someone, who has an Orchid SoundWave 32 with the Invision ROMs, can dump it?
We can then compare the different ROMs (I already have one with the standard ROMs and I can dump those with my EEPROM reader).

Reply 45 of 52, by Timpanogos Slim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies for the necrobump. My memory may be fuzzy but i am pretty sure that the SW32 was my very first sound card purchase. Bought it bundled with an orchid-branded mitsumi cd-rom drive and a copy of Day of the Tentacle.

It had the strangest issue where if i left my computer on for more than 24 hours it would start buzzing, and the buzzing got louder and louder. Orchid support didn't even believe me until several inquiries about it.

They made some noise after 6 months or so after i bought it about a programming API for the DSP and cool stuff people were doing with that, but i never heard anything more about it.

I have no idea where my SW32 went. I may have sold it to a friend along with the AM386DX-40 motherboard.

Pretty sure it replaced it with a GUS - the one with individual ram chip sockets - and then later i think i was using an Aztech SB16 clone alongside the GUS. And then later than that, an STB interwave board. I dunno what became of my interwave stuff either.

Just had to take that stroll down memory lane. If someone wanted to sell an SW32, I might be buying.

Reply 46 of 52, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't say that I've had a similar experience with my Soundwave 32. But, then again, I've never used my card for such extended periods. I bought mine many years ago when they were still cheap and out of curiosity for their MIDI capabilities.
These days, these cards have become pretty scarce but, have a look on trading sites like Amibay, Craigslist or even eBay.

Reply 48 of 52, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like no one can prove that 2 x 1 MB (2 x 8MBIT) Invision ROMs exists for the Sound Wave.
Up to now only rumors and no evidence, not even pictures of the ROMs.
As mentioned I think there is no further posting in this thread because there is no other ROM available!

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2018-09-02, 09:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 52, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I received copies of the Invision ROMs from someone a while back (think it came from this thread - .Find information about Orchid SoundWave 32).
However, I'd be interested to know about the AWS ROM that was also used.
User Breitztiger were collecting some of these ROMs - it's possible that he might have more info but, for now, it would appear that the Invision ROMs were just 512KB x2 in size (compressed), wheras the Prosonus were actually just 512KB (compressed) with the second ROM largely filled with zeros (as per an earlier post in this thread).

Reply 50 of 52, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote:

I received copies of the Invision ROMs from someone a while back (think it came from this thread - .Find information about Orchid SoundWave 32).

That was actually me 😉
Thanks for the link.

If someone out there has a sound wave with AWS ROM, please let me know.
We solved at least the rumors about the Invision ROM. Innovation ROM: 2 x 512 kB compressed.

easy_john wrote:
As I've test this previously, aws rom is a single chip and only redirect mpu to WBH connector.

Reply 51 of 52, by weryx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What most people tend to forget: With the upgrade to the new roms (2MB) came a new software package. This was the main reason for me to do the upgrade at that time. This soundcard had some incredible capabilities for that time (mid 90s). It was able to perform realtime pitch shifting. I remember using it for prank calls and also for music production / remixing.