VOGONS

What should I do with this computer?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 26, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the rig even going online? If it's just a retro game box I wouln't worry about security updates etc., just pick the OS best suited for the games you want to play. XP has pretty robust compatibility modes for most Win9x games so if it were a choice between XP or W2k - XP hands down. Half-Life 1 needs it...

You will find games that need XP fixes in addition to compatibility mode settings but the field has been pretty exhaustively covered at this point and it's still pretty easy to track down mods/patches for XP - in spite of it's age XP has been very resilient.

Reply 23 of 26, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And NO WPA is a whole lot better than EVERYTHING ELSE.

I think I can handle the legitimacy issue 😉 As for compatibility, no it will not be connected to the internet, well maybe once in a while via a usb dongle.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 24 of 26, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I assumed Socket 754.

There's no "3200+" Sempron on S754 either, from what I can see, though the 3100+ is nearly identical to the S939 3200+. (aside from the socket and lack of SSE3)

Reply 25 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

I think I can handle the legitimacy issue 😉

Eh? I thought he was referring to wireless for some reason.

It is indeed quite trivial to bypass windows authentication in XP. (You can even install MSE with the right tools.) But perhaps that is best not discussed here.

Reply 26 of 26, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
dosquest wrote:

I think I can handle the legitimacy issue 😉

Eh? I thought he was referring to wireless for some reason.

It is indeed quite trivial to bypass windows authentication in XP. (You can even install MSE with the right tools.) But perhaps that is best not discussed here.

yay quoteception! But let's just say I'll handle that problem, and the hardware and software problems you all can help me with.