VOGONS

First post, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys,

I was wondering whether anyone has had issues with the Gravis Ultrasound install.exe crashing when it tries to install under DOS? I've downloaded from vogondrivers.com for my PNP, however after it extracts resource.dat it just crashes and returns back to the dos prompt.

I'm trying this on a P75 with cache disabled running Win98 booting straight to the command prompt. I've done some initial searching and can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. Hoping someone here can help?

Cheers

Reply 2 of 7, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had all sorts trying to get mega-em to load up. Everytime I try any SB emulation options it errors out saying the SB IRQ is either on 7 or is in use even though after running setup.exe, it tests fine on all the IRQ's.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? I've removed all the cards aside from the GUS PnP, disabled parallel, serial ports (using PS/2 mouse).. still can't win 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does MegaEm work with GM/MT32 emulation only (at virtual 330)?

Are the resources enabled (with pnpcfg.exe)?
Are your Gus PnP settings such way that they allow SB emulation?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 7, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I formatted the hard drive so am in the proccessing of installing the GUS again. I thought it was the actual version of DOS causing the crash of the installer but I think it actually has something to do with HIMEM/EMM386. This time round I tried with DOS 6.22 and the installer crashed again. I rebooted and hit F5 to bypass config.sys and it works fine =\.

Sorry back to elianda's question, pnpcfg I have Synth/Codec, Sound Blaster Emulation and MPU enabled. With all of these I receive the error about SB IRQ is either on 7 or in use. I have run the setup program and used the following settings:
UltraSound 220, Ultrasound IRQ 7, SB IRQ 5, Play DMA 7, Record DMA 7. Disabled CD-ROM Bsaeport, MPU401 Baseport 330, MPU401IRQ 9, Disabled Joystick port.

These all tested successfully.

The complete error when I run megam em is:
"ERROR: Sound Blaster IRQ failure. The most common causes of this error are:

- Another device is using the same IRQ as your UltraSound's Sound Blaster/MIDI IRQ. To correct this problem change either your Sound Blaster/MIDI IRQ or figure out which device is in conflict and change it's IRQ.
- You are using IRQ 7. On many systems this IRQ does not work correctly. To correct this, run SETUP and change your Sound Blaster/MIDI/IRQ."

Just to add some more information, if I run MESETUP and leave Roland emulation on but turn of Sound Blaster, MEGA-EM runs fine.

If I only enable SB emulation and disable Roland emulation, I still get the same error.

Not sure if that helps 😁

Reply 5 of 7, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you might be on the right track... I have seen himem/emm386 do weird things to certain programs... there are exclude command switches you can add to tell it not to use certain memory address space... maybe you can try to google for a solution based on this theory

and if you have issues with DOS 7, try using setver (there's good guides telling you how to use this powerful command) to make the installer think it's on DOS 6 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you get the same error if you try to use IRQ5 ?
At which resources is LPT1 running?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool