VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdosrun wrote:

I was thinking about going with a GeForce2 Ultra AGP. On a somewhat unrelated note, what kind of soundcard should I get? ISA or PCI?

For a PC with a Geforce2 Ultra card I would go with a PCI card. I love the Vortex 2 SuperQuad cards from Aureal and prefer those over the Soundblaster PCI series.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 41 of 44, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

As you get faster you'll start to notice some Borland Pascal games will begin to have runtime errors at the start

TPPatch will fix most of them.

Reply 42 of 44, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdosrun wrote:

Wouldn't an FX card be bottlenecked by the motherboard since it only supports AGP speeds of 2X or 4X?

Also, I just found an unused 6600 GT while digging through old computer parts. According to the system requirements, it needs at least a Pentium III.. Should I just go with a slot 1 Pentium III and make this machine a late DOS/Win9x gaming machine? I have other old socket 7-based computers lying around that I could use strictly for older DOS games.

So many options. What to do??

Don't get too hung up worrying about what's bottlenecking what.

If a period-accurate card is going to cost too much, go for a cheaper, later card, since they're usually more abundant.

You don't magically lose performance by having that spare horsepower sitting in the computer doing nothing.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 44 of 44, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
horstmueller wrote:
if you have some money to burn I recommend this set: http://www.ebay.de/itm/160858984431 (not my auction) I own the same set and […]
Show full quote

if you have some money to burn I recommend this set:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/160858984431
(not my auction)
I own the same set and it has quite it's charm

best regards

I can confirm this is a sweet setup, but at that price 😳 its a ripoff. Even for a collector! For 50-100$ you can get a PCI Voodoo5 5500 that has no limitations on display output, a single card solution, FSAA for low res glide games (which works awesome). Or get V2 SLI for 1-10$ and connect display directly to V2 when V2 is in use (to avoid the display limitation).

Whenever I see auctions such as this I ask myself where is the retro community going? 😒